+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: What is the BEST offbeat film of all time?

Here's another one to throw out for public consideration:

Raising Arizona
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

OH, yeah! Raising Arizona! Good one.

"You got them balloons that blow up into funny shapes?"
    "Not unless round is funny."

When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Princess
    Hmmmm, Raising Arizona.... I thought it was pretty boring

I loved "Raising Arizona"!

Add it to the list...

Princess
    Another good one mentioned in another thread:
    "The Man With One Red Shoe" - I thougt it was a movie, but I'm not sure if it's offbeat enough?? Also, "9 1/2 weeks".... ??
    Forgot another one: "Judex" (a silent from 1916) this one was probably not that offbeat then, but I would say it is now. It is a mix between Zorro & Batman, and it's really good!!!

List update:
    - Brazil
    - Airplane
    - Clue
    - Rat Race
    - Eating Raoul
    - Blue Velvet
    - Being John Malkovich
    - Polyester
    - Soylent Green
    - Memento
    - The Big Lebowski
    - Barfly
    - Better off dead
    - 8 heads in a duffle bag
    - Angel heart
    - Delicatessen
    - Grosse Pointe Blank
    - The Crying Game
    - Best in Show
    - Waiting for Guffman
    - Drop Dead Gorgeous
    - Sex, Lies, and Videotape (per popular demand )
    - Fargo
    - Ma Vie en Rose
    - The Nightmare before Christmas
    - Rocky Horror
    - Raising Arizona
    Last edited by Modesty; 11-05-2002 at 09:37 PM.

Bon vivant-it sounds cool Samurai Ranger's Avatar
    I noticed the inclusion of David Lynch's masterpiece of weirdness "Blue Velvet"; in that vein, I'd also like to include his first low-budget foray into the bizarre, "Eraserhead." The point of both these movies isn't necessarily to hold up "rationally." Rather, they make subconcious sense; they achieve a kind of "dream logic" that haunts the viewer long after seeing them. That, I think, is Lynch's greatest gift as a filmmaker.

----
    "Do I cut them up just like regular chickens?"
    "You cut them up just like regular chickens."
    --
    "What kind of beer do you like, Jeffrey?...HEINEKEN? F**K that S**t! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"

Samurai, you seem like a very knowledgeable movie-goer! I'm going to pay close attention to what you've got to say. Seriously.

I've never seen a David Lynch flick, though, so I can't confirm or take issue with your assessment.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Samurai, you do certainly have great opinions.

I take issue with some of the Lynch "greatness". For instance, in Mulholland Drive I think he got caught up in trying to hard to follow his mystique, and spent less time actually telling a coherent story.

I do agree with you on his early work though, and I really thought he did a good job with the content in Elephant Man.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

agentcarver
    Originally posted by Modesty
    Yep, of course! (Albeit no dress up - I think that's an Am. thing, I saw it in Sw.) It's very good!
    You're right on that-Some people are over-dedicated to it and go downtown in drag... Yikes... Anyhow, it plays every saturday night at midnight at the Muzik Hall (An indie theatre) here , with a live floor show, complete with the full shout-outs (Group sex! Group Sex!) so I go annually with a couple of friends to one or the other

Bon vivant-it sounds cool Samurai Ranger's Avatar
    Thanks for the compliments, guys! And Bill, I completely agree with you regarding Mulholland Drive. Some of his films do tend to 'spin off the tracks.' I hear that was also a problem with "Lost Highway." Though I do love the "dream-logic" of his films, it should still be bound in with a relatively cohesive story. That's why I prefer movies like Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, or his very sunshine-y, and in some ways UN-Lynchian "The Straight Story."

+ Reply to Thread