+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seabiscuit - 07/25

Seabiscuit - 07/25

[IMG]images/img/seabiscuit.jpg[/IMG]
    Seabiscuit (2003)
    Synopsis: The tale of three lost men--Johnny "Red" Pollard, a young man whose spirit has been broken; Charle Howard, a millionaire who lost everything; and Tom Smith, a cowboy whose world was vanishing--who found each other and discovered hope in a down-and-out racehorse named Seabiscuit, who took them and the nation on the ride of a lifetime.

Statistics
    Genre(s): Adaptation, Drama, Period, Sports Rating: MPAA PG-13: sexual situations, violent sports-related images Runtime: 140 mins. Theatrical Release: 07/25/2003

Cast & Role
    Tobey Maguire - Red Pollard
    Jeff Bridges - Charles Howard
    Chris Cooper - Tom Smith
    Gary Stevens - George Woolf
    Chris McCarron - Charley Kurtsinger
    Elizabeth Banks - Marcela Howard
    William H Macy- "Tick Tock" McGlaughlin
    Michael O'Neill - Mr Pollard

Crew & Credit
    Gary Ross - Director
    Kathleen Kennedy - Producer

Am I the only one in the free world who has absolutely no desire to see this movie?

You are not alone, John! I have no desire to see this movie either.

I saw the actual preview, and I also have no desire to see it!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    You are not alone, John! I have no desire to see this movie either.
    Then you guys are going to miss out. After Finding Nemo, I think it's the best out right now. It's also a refreshing change during this CGI-driven, sequel heavy summer.
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

It might be a great movie, but I still have no desire to watch it. Maybe when its out on video, and there is nothing else to watch, I'll rent it.

Quote Originally Posted by kchamber
    Then you guys are going to miss out. After Finding Nemo, I think it's the best out right now. It's also a refreshing change during this CGI-driven, sequel heavy summer.
    Okay...I'll bite. What made it such a good movie, because I didn't get that feeling from the previews! Then again, I have seen really good previews, and the movie stunk.

FORT Fan
    Some movies lend themselves to great previews, some don't. A preview can show you if a movie has flashy action, star power, or a unique premise. It can't always show you if the film has a great story.

This movie is more than a story about a horse. Set during the Great Depression, Seabiscuit is an epic true story about people coming together for second chances, inspiring a nation desperately in need of hope.

The starring characters are as beat down as the country, each having suffered his own kind of tragedy. Oversized jockey Tobey Maguire's family was ruined during the Depression. Soft-spoken cowboy Chris Cooper no longer has a place in the growing society of automobiles and highways. Entrepreneur Jeff Bridges's suffers from a much more personal loss. These three men come together around the longtime loser horse Seabiscuit, a competetive underdog full of heart, to overcome obstacles and make him a champion. It's a universal story that shows American spirit is more than flag waving.

What makes this movie great is that you really care about the characters. The acting's terrific. You'll empathize with their suffering and celebrate their triumphs. My audience cheered during the thrilling racing scenes (which are masterfully crafted.) Unlike most movies this summer that try to work as escapist entertainment, Seabiscuit succeeds by letting you experience life in a unique way.

Check out reviews. They'll tell you what's good and bad, better than I can. But I recommend this movie to anyone who likes a good story.

Besides, what else ya gonna watch? Gigli?
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by kchamber

Check out reviews. They'll tell you what's good and bad, better than I can. But I recommend this movie to anyone who likes a good story.

Besides, what else ya gonna watch? Gigli?
    That was a good review, Kchamber! I usually trust "real" people over the reviewers anyway.

And no, I don't think I'll be seeing Gigli, thank you.

"Gigli" violates 3 of my basic movie premises...

1) Never watch a movie whose title I can't pronounce.

2) Never watch a movie with J-Lo in it that doesn't also include George Clooney.

3) Never watch a movie with Ben Affleck in it unless Bruce Willis is also in it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast