+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seabiscuit - 07/25

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    I dunno, cause Affleck is in some pretty OK movies, like Dogma

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    That was a good review, Kchamber! I usually trust "real" people over the reviewers anyway.
    Thanks Mantenna, I hope it helped. As a disembodied voice over the internet (who's too lazy and picky to even choose an avatar!) I appreciate being considered a real person.

I'm always trying to find critics I trust. When I have time to kill I scan their old reviews hoping to find someone who consistently rates movies the same way I do.
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by kchamber
    Some movies lend themselves to great previews, some don't. A preview can show you if a movie has flashy action, star power, or a unique premise. It can't always show you if the film has a great story.

This movie is more than a story about a horse. Set during the Great Depression, Seabiscuit is an epic true story about people coming together for second chances, inspiring a nation desperately in need of hope.

The starring characters are as beat down as the country, each having suffered his own kind of tragedy. Oversized jockey Tobey Maguire's family was ruined during the Depression. Soft-spoken cowboy Chris Cooper no longer has a place in the growing society of automobiles and highways. Entrepreneur Jeff Bridges's suffers from a much more personal loss. These three men come together around the longtime loser horse Seabiscuit, a competetive underdog full of heart, to overcome obstacles and make him a champion. It's a universal story that shows American spirit is more than flag waving.

What makes this movie great is that you really care about the characters. The acting's terrific. You'll empathize with their suffering and celebrate their triumphs. My audience cheered during the thrilling racing scenes (which are masterfully crafted.) Unlike most movies this summer that try to work as escapist entertainment, Seabiscuit succeeds by letting you experience life in a unique way.

Check out reviews. They'll tell you what's good and bad, better than I can. But I recommend this movie to anyone who likes a good story.

Besides, what else ya gonna watch? Gigli?
    Excellent, kchamber! Let me say, I wasn't drawn to this movie from the previews, but I went to see this movie with my dad because I was trying to find something he would like. We went two days ago and I have been thinking about it ever since. It was incredible. I can't say enough about it but it was touching, thought-provoking, and exciting, as well as beautifully fimed and acted. My audience was cheering as well!

This is a great film for anyone who roots for the underdog...(plus, its a true story!) Has a very positive message...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

< - This guy in my avatar (Dan D. Wells) has "Seabiscuit" in his acting resume. Did you happen to see him during the movie? If not, I'm betting he's an extra, or something.

Anyway, thanks for the review, Kchamber. The previews weren't exciting enough for me to see the movie.

I rarely see Oscar-worthy movies in theaters nowadays. I want to see "Seabiscuit".

FORT Fogey
    I saw it this weekend before I read this thread, and I have to say I really really enjoyed it. My family is all in KY Louisville , major horse racing, and it was so well done! The filming it great and the acting amazing. But, I really got sucked into the story and saw a very different view of life during the depression than I had ever seen. It was really a great movie.

Mr Obvious, I think that guy was another jockey.

I really enjoyed Seabiscuit as well. It's one of those shmaltzy, tug-at-your-heartstrings movies that either makes you cry with joy or roll your eyes depending on what mood you're in.

I think this film will definitely get some Oscar nominations, and depending on what else comes out this year, could sweep the awards. It's got beautiful cinematography and I thought the acting was really good.

I loved it, but my son and husband were lukewarm about it.

I haven't seen it, and I have read some rather so so-so reviews for it but I still really want to see it and have from the start

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I only see about 2 movies a year at the theater. This afternoon I went by myself to this one (getting the husband to the theater is more difficult than a root canal).

I LOVED it. I am currently reading the book, but I feared it would be out of the theater before I finished it.

What a wonderful movie.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I did forget to mention that the ONE thing I didn't like about the movie was the involvement of the woman that played Charles Howard's second wife.

I saw little to no purpose for her role more than about 5 minutes worth. She had way too much screen time imo. I'm reading the book and she's hardly mentioned. I wish the movie would have followed suit.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I have been looking forward to seeing this since I saw the previews. I almost always cheer for the underdog(I'm a diehard Cubs fan, so I know no other way), and I get choked up even reading reviews of this film. I am probably going to see it this weekend.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast