+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EW's Top 13 Horror Movies of All Time

EW's Top 13 Horror Movies of All Time

Entertainment Weekly posted its top 13 horror movies. Pretty good list. I'm not a horror movie fan, but I have seen most of these, and I like several of them. What do you think of the list? Anything missing? Anything in the wrong place?

13. Rosemary's Baby
    12. The Thing
    11. Jaws
    10. Se7en
    9. Psycho
    8. Night of the Living Dead
    7. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    6. The Silence of the Lambs
    5. Alien
    4. A Nightmare on Elm Street
    3. The Shining
    2. Halloween
    1. The Exorcist
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

agentcarver
    The birds! The birds! I LOVE hitchcock! Where are the birds? (cawwwww)

I've seen #12, #10, #9, #6, #5, #4, and #3. I've never actually seen #11 all the way through, which kind of surprises me.

The Thing freaked me out as a kid. I remember snaking my hand through the doorway into my room so I could turn the light on after watching it. That dude's head skittering across the floor on spider's legs. *shudder* And the dog's face peeling back like a banana. OMG!

Alien is another classic. A completely different movie from the sequel, which was excellent in its own right. That movie just dripped dread from every scene. To this day, the Alien appears in my nightmares more than any other monster.

A Nightmare on Elm Street was one of my favorite horror movies when I was in high school. I watched it five or six times. Freddy wound up a caricature of himself in the sequels, but he was damned scary in the first movie. I watched it for the first time at a friend's house, and a 6'8" guy from the basketball team went outside during the movie and slapped a window that no normally-sized individual should have been able to hit. Freaked everyone out. This one girl was so terrified, she wouldn't uncurl from the fetal position the entire night!

What else? Oh, Silence of the Lambs. The jailbreak scene makes my pulse race in horrified anticipation every time I watch it. Great film.

Also ask me about my crazy theory about what REALLY happened in Se7en sometime. I got some people on the Net actually pissed off at me for this theory. People are strange.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

i wanna hear your theory, paulie!

11. Jaws
    10. Se7en
    9. Psycho
    5. Alien
    3. The Shining

those are the ones i've seen that just scared the bujeebus outta me!

JR.
    That's a good list, I've seen them all.

Salem's Lot scared me as a kid, couldn't sleep for 3 days. I liked that better than Rosemary's Baby. I also liked Friday the 13th parts 1 & 2, but they had to go on and ruin that.

You know what? Ghost Story, of all movies, scared the living crap out of me when I saw it as a kid. Not sure what it was exactly, but I was freaked out for months after seeing it.

My wife was wondering last night if it's a man's worst nightmare to have their lover instantly turn into a hag. Happened in Ghost Story and The Shining and apparently the new movie Ghost Ship. I told her it's not MY worst nightmare, but now that I think about it, it would really freak me out if it happened to me.

I haven't seen Rosemary's Baby, The Thing, and Texas Chain Massacre.

Of the rest, the ones that really scared me were:
    11. Jaws
    5. Alien
    3. The Shining
    1. The Exorcist

The Halloween music scared me more than the movie.
    And yeah, Salem's Lot was another scary movie.

I was very scared by Rosemary's Baby when I first saw it.

The slasher type of movies don't scare me.
    "That's Numberwang!"

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Jaws is a classic. It changed the way movies were made!

Paulie, I can't believe you haven't seen it. Just turn on TBS (or TNT) one weekend. It's always on
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I've seen portions of it all over the place, Bravo, but I've never just sat down and absorbed the whole thing straight through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast