+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EW's Top 13 Horror Movies of All Time

I love to lock horns in the right situation, but you've got me on that one. The classic "horror" film is what folks typically refer to as a slasher, and characterization is usually discarded in those movies.

However, think about how much more effective a slasher movie would be if the characters were well-delineated and were people you could actually care for? Not airheaded, leg-humping teens who never recognize they're in danger. What if they were intelligent, interesting people who were being outwitted by a clever "slasher"? What if we cared about their deaths? Now there is a horror movie. I just don't think it's been written yet.

Hm. Maybe I should work on that...
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Princess
    What if we cared about their deaths? Now there is a horror movie. I just don't think it's been written yet.
    I'll look for it!!

I think psychological thrillers are more frightening in general.
    Agreed. But 6th sense....

What about all the old b&w vampire/zombie/mummy/etc.. movies? I would characterize those "horror" movies, yet I would hardly call them "slasher" movies. To me, those oldies are the real classic horror movies!

Originally posted by fluff
    Hi nlmcp welcome to the FORT
    :
    Hi back, thanks for the welcome, still trying to figure this all out.

Actually another really creepy movie for me when I was young was the triliogy of terrior movie with the awful little Zulu warrior doll. Gave me nightmares for months.

Princess
    Actually another really creepy movie for me when I was young was the triliogy of terrior movie with the awful little Zulu warrior doll. Gave me nightmares for months.
    Is that the one in your avatar?
    Yes, I vaguely remember something like that - don't remember the name of the movie though.

I know it isn't really a scary movie, but has anyone seen Joy Ride? I think it's really freaky! I'm never gonna mess with anyone over a radio...not since I saw this. The DVD's really good because it has like 5 alternate endings.

Oh, Trilogy of Terror is a classic! I love that little Zulu doll thing. It's so freaky! The first one is weird...the one about that teacher.

Hi back, thanks for the welcome, still trying to figure this all out.
    The FORT = Fans Of Reality TV
    "That's Numberwang!"

Joy Ride was one of those movies that I expected to hate but actually enjoyed.
    "That's Numberwang!"

And where is the one about the aliens in the pods that replaces the humans (sorry, I'm so bad at remember titles)??
    "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?

Princess
    Thanks lobeck!... but you are a bit late (see Wayners post a bit up on this page)

I forget what the other stories were in the Trilogy of Terrior, I just remember that creepy Zulu doll. I'm trying to remember, was that a made for TV movie?
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast