+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EW's Top 13 Horror Movies of All Time

I can't believe the Shining was 3rd, ahead of Psycho and Jaws. Now Psycho was a scary movie. That last scene where he is sitting and the voice over is saying how he wouldn't even hurt a fly. Ewwww
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Hi nlmcp welcome to the FORT

I never found the Shining very scary and agree with you that I wouldn't place it above Psycho on the list.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Miss F, The Hitcher was the very first movie I saw by myself. I won some sort of free movie and a coke thing at school so I sat there all by myself, quivering with the excitement of feeling like a full-blown adult, and just soaked it in. Didn't really scare me because of the situation I was in, but it remains one of the more vividly remembered movies I've ever seen. French fries, anyone?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I enjoyed The Shining, but I didn't think it was that scarey. It pales in comparison to the book - now THAT is scarey. Heck, in the book there isn't even a hedge maze.

With the exception of Halloween, slasher movies never scared me, either. In fact, they bring back memories of the first time I saw Friday the 13th; at the drive-in, on the hood, under a blanket, sandwiched between two of the best looking girls in high school. Damn those platonic relationships, though!

The Exorcist is definitely the most frightening for me. And no Wolf, I didn't scream like a girl when I found the Linda Blair photo, but I did drop my wallet and the waitress thought I looked a little pale. :

And the movie where the pods replaced the people was Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I never saw the 1956 version, only the 1978 version with Leonard Nemoy. Creepy. Day of the Trifids was a British Sci-fi novel that was made into a mini-series on BBC television in the late 70's. (I love IMDB.)

Welcome, nlmcp!

As for slasher movies, well, I think they're stupid, but they have been known to frighten me. I don't watch them very much, though, because there's no plot and no characterization!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Princess
    Thanks Wayner - Yes, "The Invasion of the Bodysnatchers" (1956 version) was VERY good. (Sorry - I always dislike re-makes - I'm such a snob! )

nlmcp, welcome!

Paulie, I can't think of ANY horror move where you'll find any "characterization"!
    The scary films that you do find that in is what I would call "psychological thrillers"!

I liked the Hitcher too.
    Not scary to me in the conventional sense, but just made me feel really edgy to think that someone would persue a stranger like that for no apparent reason.
    "That's Numberwang!"

An excellent distinction, Modesty. I stand corrected.

Princess
    Paulie - I,m stunned! I was sooo looking forward to an interesting argument here!!!

I think psychological thrillers are more frightening in general.

I was freaked out by the fact Donnie Wahlberg/Vincent Grey was wearing just his underpants in Bruce Willis's bathroom in Sixth Sense.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast