+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EW's Top 13 Horror Movies of All Time

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Practically every weekend Mr. Bravo has that movie playing it seems. I finally broke down and got the 20th anniversary version (with the making of, etc...) for his birthday last year. I don't know why he always insists on watching it on TBS though.

(same thing with Rudy, btw...)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Jaws is a classic. It changed the way movies were made! Paulie, I can't believe you haven't seen it. Just turn on TBS (or TNT) one weekend. It's always on
    Or borrow the dvd from me - it's Mrs. Wayner's favorite film ever!

We also have the exorcist, but I have no idea why - I told Mrs. W not to order it - I'll never watch it again - scared the heck out of me back in college. I told my wife that, so the next day I opened my wallet to pay for lunch and in the place where my license is supposed to be is a picture of a possessed Linda Blair - AAAAAHHHHH! She got me good.

Have any of you seen the more recent version of the Exorcist with the added footage?

The "spider" scene is a classic.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The Exorcist scared me so much when I first saw it...I was in 6th grade. I got sick and scared! I didn't watch it for about a year and a half. Then, my cousin convinced me to see it while I was in 8th grade. I've loved it every since, but it still freaks me out. I have it for DVD.

Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween really scared me!! I'm not as scared anymore, but I still love them.

I've never actually seen Se7en. Is it really good? I wanna rent it now!

You should rent it Mdrio.

It's a good movie.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Anyone remember "The Hitcher?" It was a B movie, but still scary.

Creepiest movie ever.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I opened my wallet to pay for lunch and in the place where my license is supposed to be is a picture of a possessed Linda Blair - AAAAAHHHHH! She got me good.
    That's funny. Did you scream like a girl?

I have not seen the Exorcist with the added scenes. That movie still scares me, btw.

I'm not scared by slasher movies either, but the 1st Nightmare on Elm Street scared the heck out of me (this was while I was in high school). I was afraid to go to sleep. Now, it's just cheesy.

Princess
    So many movies missing - and imo, a couple that shouldn't have been there.
    I don't think Alien is a "horror" movie at all. (I actually refused to see it when it came, but then later rented the entire series - and I just love them. Very good!!! OK, the last one wasn't that good.)
    Nor do I think that "Silence of the Lambs" should be classified as a "horror movie" - it's a thriller/suspense, imo.
    Seven was bad bad bad bad (Why would it be se7ven? sesevenen???)
    Missing the old b/w movies that I think are way much better than some of the new ones (sorry, don't recall any titles but it's vampires, werewolves, zombies abound).
    Missing most AHs movies - like AC wrote - where are "the birds"?? Psycho at #9 - after Texas Chainsaw Massacre!!!! Who put this list together?? It's like comparing diamonds with cowdung! (And let the cowdung win)
    Bad but scary: the Amityville series - and where are the "Friday the 13:th" series??
    I suppose "Deliverance" is not a "horror" movie, but it is sure one of the scariest movies I ever seen.
    Another scary one is "A Clockwork Orange" - I hated it, but it is scary indeed!
    And where is the one about the aliens in the pods that replaces the humans (sorry, I'm so bad at remember titles)?? That's a classic anyway.
    And where is Omen (oh so bad - but scary....)
    Miss F: I remember The Hitcher - pretty scary thing.
    was searching for a title of an Steven King movie, and stumbled upon this top 10 list: http://www.epinions.com/mvie-review-...393DA4ED-prod1
    At least they have "The Birds" on the list
    (Can't find it - what's the name of Steven King's first movie?)
    "The day of the Locusts" with Donald Sutherland is another very good and very scary movie, for example.
    There are also so many "not so well known-but very good-and scary" movies: for example a really weird one named "Cars".

Agree though that "The Exorcist" must be one of the best ones! I was 15 when I saw it the first time - and I was terrifed. Saw it again not too long time ago, and it was still pretty scary and had definitely survived through time!

Princess
    And where is the one about the aliens in the pods that replaces the humans (sorry, I'm so bad at remember titles)?? That's a classic anyway.
    "Day of the Triffides" or something??

PKeeper
    I agree, Modesty. There are so many more movies that could and should be on that list. I have seen every movie in Paulie's opening post and, I believe every one that Modesty has mentioned. Our's was one of the first cities in Minnesota to get cable with HBO (1975) -- I was a child of the Pop culture.

I also agree with Fluff on the slasher movies -- don't scare me. What gets to me are the pschological and supernatural types where the main premises is realistic enough and feasible.

That said, by far the scariest movie I ever saw -- The Excorcist. I saw it on cable right after it left the Theaters. I think I was 12 or 13. I watched it with my parents. It ended at 10:00 p.m., they went to bed, I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. When I finally headed upstairs I was petrified to go it alone. I turned on every light on the way to my bedroom, retraced my steps and proceeded to turn off the lights as I made my way back. Once the bedroom light was off, I closed my eyes tight untill morning.

I have not seen it again since.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast