+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adult Policy Set in Kansas City Theater

Adult Policy Set in Kansas City Theater

actually I think they have a great idea............nothing ruins an R rated film more then some dumb parents who bring in toddlers. I spend most of my time thinking about how stupid the parents are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adult Policy Set in Kansas City Theater
    Sun Jul 6, 1:14 AM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - When Jennifer Garretson brought her 3-year-old son to the Cinemark Palace in Kansas City, she was shocked to be turned away.

Garretson was one of several parents who hadn't heard that as of July 4, children under 6 were no longer welcome at the movie theater even if they were accompanied by their parents.

"We didn't know anything about it, so it was kind of rotten," said Garretson, of Wichita, Kan., standing next to her 3-year-old son, Samuel.

On Saturday, several young children carried signs protesting the theater's new policy, which also prohibits children between ages 6 and 16 unless they are accompanied by a parent.

Theater officials have said they are not trying to exclude children, but instead reinforcing a more adult-oriented film menu.

Terrell Falk, spokeswoman for Dallas-based Cinemark USA, said the theater would no longer show movies rated G or PG. Instead, fliers in the lobby announced the theater will show "adult films, independent films and films geared toward adult audiences."

The Palace also has a VIP room, where adults can drink alcohol and sit in recliners while watching a movie.

Theater staff appeared to be stopping families with children who clearly were younger than 6.

"I can see that part about having a parent along, but if the parents are there with their children, it's crazy," said Sherry Parks of Chillicothe, Mo.

Gigi Lanear of Kansas City and her 4-year-old son Darion were among those turned away.

"I think it's stupid," she said. "If you're going to have PG-13 movies, it's not the little kids that will fuss; it's the teenagers."
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Fogey
    I agree and think that no child under the age of 13 should be permitted in ANY movie Pg-13 and above with or without a parent.

Except for rated G / PG movies no child under the age of 6 should be allowed in at all. Especially babies, it is distracting when they cry etc!

Don't Worry It's Just Me! falloutbey's Avatar
    That's stupid.. I think its selfish for adults who don't have children to support that rule just because they don't want little kids around. I hope they don't start doing that around here. They are losing a lot of money too.. a lot of money is made off of movies such as Finding Nemo and other cartoons out.

FORT Fogey
    I don't have a problem with having G rated movies at theatres I have a 5 yr old and I take her to them. I just hate hearing a small child in an adult movie crying or talking or getting up and down. If that threatre wants to cater to adults only it isn't stupid. It is a choice. They want to be an upscale adult only place to go. There are plenty of clubs and places that cater to adults only why not a theatre. I am sure there are plenty of other movie plexes in the area that have all the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe739
    That's stupid.. I think its selfish for adults who don't have children to support that rule just because they don't want little kids around. ......
    Would you be surprised at how many adults who have children and leave them well attended elsewhere also feel bringing in very young children to a PG-13 movie as either in bad taste or unacceptable? Many parents or non parents also find it stupid and selfish that others don't know better and bring little kids to PG-13 movies that contain violence and sexual content intended for an older audience. It defeats the purpose of a ratings guide.

I love this idea!! I have been saying for YEARS that the movie theater companies need to do this kind of thing for adults. I usually smuggle beers into movies with me, because I feel like I should be able to have a beer while I watch an R rated movie. A separate room with recliners just makes it that much better.

And young kids-under 6-dont need to be going to PG-13 movies. They make these movies to appeal to 13 year olds, supposedly, but I find that many of the jokes or references are even more adult than in R rated movies. I mean, "Kingpin"(with Woody Harrelson, Randy Quaid-bowling movie) was PG-13, and that movie has some sick and disgusting, VERY adult references.

Hope this idea proliferates
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe739
    That's stupid.. I think its selfish for adults who don't have children to support that rule just because they don't want little kids around. I hope they don't start doing that around here. They are losing a lot of money too.. a lot of money is made off of movies such as Finding Nemo and other cartoons out.
    I have kids and I think it's a great idea. Little kids don't belong in PG13 and above movies. There is nothing more annoying then having paid a baby sitter to watch my childern so I can go watch an adult film to have to deal with some one's bouncing screaming whiny child in the seat in front of me. I can take my kids to go see Finding Nemo or the Rugrats elsewhere.

The idea of recliners and drinks are just a bonus above that.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    This is a great ideal. I hate when I pay the money to see a later show only to have kids makeing noise. I sat through Hanibal a very R rated movie with a family that brought a todler and a young baby that cried. I try and stay away from early showings for that reason

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    I have kids and I think it's a great idea. Little kids don't belong in PG13 and above movies. There is nothing more annoying then having paid a baby sitter to watch my childern so I can go watch an adult film to have to deal with some one's bouncing screaming whiny child in the seat in front of me.
    I agree 100%. My wife and I went to a 10PM showing of The Matrix when it first came out. Paid a babysitter to watch the kids sleeping and so forth. And our reward was to see a family of four bring their two exhausted, screaming kids to the movie. It was obvious the kids would have been much happier sleeping at home. Parents who do that are either lazy or just trying to save a buck on babysitting. I just don't agree with it. I applaud the theatre for taking this step.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I think it's a good policy. Kids that age shouldn't be in PG-13 movies, let alone R. Not only is it inappropriate for them, but they often get bored and talk or cry the whole time, ruining it for others.
    to Taylor, Chantel, Katelyn, Danielle, and Tori. Good luck on making the group!

+ Reply to Thread