+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Video Releases 10/20-10/26

Video Releases 10/20-10/26

Video releases, from 10/20 - 10/26. Click on the link for more info from Amazon.

Mr. Deeds, Adam Sandler

Y Tu Mama Tambien, Maribel Verdu

Joshua, Tony Goldwyn

Baby Beethoven, Julie Aigner-Clark

Weak week for movies.

Don't think I'd purchase any of these, but I might rent Y Tu Mama Tambien...I've heard it's pretty good...

i want to see both Mr. Deeds and y tu madre tambien. my best friend saw it in the theater and loved it!

Um, before you see Mr. Deeds, click on the link, and read Amazon's review of it. And then factor in the 10 seconds it lasted in a theater...

Sorry, I'm not a big Sandler fan.

ah, i'm sure it sucks, but i actually dig adam sandler flicks!

worth a rental i would suspect. and i can't not rent it seeing as though i've rented such awful movies as "orange county" and "saving silverman"

hey, i thought of a couple of jack black movies that were good, john. i loved high fidelity and enemy of the state.... in spite of his presence in the flick.

John, I'm DEFINITELY not an Adam Sandler fan either, but I am curious about his new movie "Punch-Drunk Love"...

ooh! me too!! i think it will be most interesting to see adam portraying a character so much different from his past characters!

the previews look most intriguing!

EW's review of "Y Tu Mama Tambien"

DVD review: 'Y Tu Mama' is a winner
    By Scott Brown
    Entertainment Weekly

(Entertainment Weekly) -- In recent years, the label "coming-of-age movie" has been wasted on every voyeuristic teen flick with ambitions (slightly) higher than "Girls Gone Wild." The emphasis, predictably, has been on the coming, while attendant issues of maturity -- say, the scary fungibility of sexual identity -- are scrupulously boxed out of the frame.

Given this climate of reductive exploitation, you'll be relieved to hear that Alfonso Cuaron's lovely, lyrical "Y Tu Mama Tambien" totally shows these two guys experimenting with, um, fluid dynamics ... because, see, there's this swimming pool, and they ... well, you remember the "tainted beer" in "American Pie," right?

The truth is that we may lack a vocabulary for what's going on in this delicately explicit Spanish-language road-tripper.

That's OK: Cuaron gently instructs us, as his three exquisitely natural leads -- rich boy (Diego Luna), poor boy (Gael Garca Bernal), and brokenhearted woman (Maribel Verd) -- motor innocently across a Mexico sown with subtle portents, both numinous and worldly. And amid all the much-discussed "f"-ing -- clumsily ecstatic and silly and unfailingly sincere -- you'll catch the rare but unmistakable scent of the ineffable.

Grade: A-

+ Reply to Thread