+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Yipee! More musicals!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by cowchpotaytoe
    I'm actually skipping school for a day to go see the movie version of RENT with some friends. That shows how much more important my musicals are then my academics!

BTW: I'm so glad I found this thread. I love talking about musicals!
    Oh, cowch. :nono Well, once you go watch it, be sure to tell us how good it is.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I just saw the video for "Out Tonight" on NewNowNext on logo. I'm totally blown away by Rosario Dawson's performance. I'm really looking forward to seeing this (I've seen the play several times).
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

FORT Fogey
    I'm sure all of you are sick of my Destiny's Child obsession but i'm really unfamiliar with Dreamgirls and musicals in general. Beyoncé was cast as Deena Jones, in the film adaptation, and i would appreciate more information regarding her charachter and the storyline as a whole.

Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, and Danny Glover have all been cast in the film as well. Bill Condon is directing.

Thanks to anyone who responds
    Last edited by Siso; 11-03-2005 at 10:44 PM.

I really wish I could be more eloquent at the moment... but I am absolutely blown away. I just got back from the 9:50 showing of "Rent" and.... I can't say anything but WOW.

Beautiful job. Beautiful. I am stunned, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it as much as I did.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

CCL
    Siso - Dreamgirls is loosely based on the story of the Supremes. The Dreamettes are 3 women who go to New York to compete in a talent contest and end up becoming backing singers. An unscrupulous manager gets ahold of them and tries to make them more pop than r & b. They rise to the top but suffer all the usual problems of fame.
    Beyonce plays Deena. In the process of transforming the band to a pop supergroup, one of the singers is dropped (Effie played by Jennifer Hudson of American Idol) and replaced by a more glamourous singer, which would be Deena.

Rent was that good, huh Broadway? Looking forward to it.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Premium Member
    Wow, Broadway. I am definitely going to have to see Rent now.

My son's college theatre dept. just finished 2 weeks of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. My son sang the role of the Narrator. I had never seen this before but I loved it, saw it 5 times.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Yup, South Pacific is another good one and I know what you mean about the camera or filters when she sang Bali Hai. Supposedly, they also thought it was strange, but either didn't have the time or budget to reshoot. R&H were a kick @$$ team!

Leon Shamroy was the cinematographer who did SOUTH PACIFIC; he holds the record for having been nominated for an Oscar more times (18) than any other Director of Photography. However, Shamroy won four Oscars; Lang won one. Shamroy is one of only five cinematographers to have a star on the famous Hollywood Walk of Fame. He was married to actress Mary Anderson from 1953 until his death in 1974.

Regarding the "weird colors": An added bonus for cinematography buffs are Shamroy's color experiments in South Pacific. He uses color lenses to reflect different moods. For those more interested in story than picture, the color shifts can be distracting, but his experiments are interesting even if the attempt is not a complete success.

The color was done INTENTIONALLY and wasn't a mistake they had to fix.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I just saw Rent and I loved it. I was really skeptical because I loved the play so much that I never thought the movie could live up to it, but I was pleasently suprised.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345