+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yipee! More musicals!

I read that they filmed in both San Fran. and New York.

When they were filming here last month the local paper ran an article about it. It insisted that the movie was set in the 1980s. Wasn't the musical set in the mid-90s? I'm confused.

As for Jesse L. Martin... He's so talented and has a beautiful singing voice.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    I read that they filmed in both San Fran. and New York.

When they were filming here last month the local paper ran an article about it. It insisted that the movie was set in the 1980s. Wasn't the musical set in the mid-90s? I'm confused.

As for Jesse L. Martin... He's so talented and has a beautiful singing voice.
    Oops! You're right! I just looked up this article: http://comingsoon.net/news.php?id=8757 and they are filming in both cities. I think I must have gotten the SF only thing from an early report about the movie that said they were actually changing the location from NY to SF. Since the play debuted in 96, I always imagined that it was set in the early 90's. Definitely not 80's.

It doesn't matter how many hundreds of times I've listened to it, every time I hear Jesse sing "I'll Cover You" at Angel's funeral, I lose it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I love musicals, if they're well made with real singers, going all the way back to the old black and whites.

Unfortunately, just because a muscial was great at the time, not all should be remade, imho. There's talk now by one of the heirs of Richard Rogers of remaking The Sound of Music, and I just cannot imagine how any remake of that could come close to the magic of the original with Julie Andrews and Chris Plummer. That was a movie musical that didn't need high tech or gimmicks... the scenery and the music is all it needed. I cross my fingers they don't try to remake that one.

If they stayed true to the music, I wouldn't mind seeing remakes of Yankee Doodle Dandy. The original Damn Yankees musical was okay, but could have been a lot better, imho.

One movie in the writing stage at the the moment is one that should prove interesting, though not the remake it would sound like just by the name. I'm talking about The Singing Nun. The original movie starred Debbie Reynolds in the title roll, with Chad Everett also starring, and it was a fluffy Hollywood treatment of the famouse real 'singing nun' with the popular 'Dominque' song of the '60's. But the movie in writing stages now is actually a movie about the real story behind Soeur Sourire -- the 'singing nun' -- and her life up to the period of her musical hit, and then following her life afterwards, into her use of drugs and her lesbianism. The real woman behind the singing nun is absolutely fascinating, and if done well, should be a good bio-movie, but no one should mistake it for a remake of the '60's musical The Singing Nun.

I'd also like to see a good version of Cats, but I'm not so sure that would translate well into film, as a lot of the magic of it comes from being there in the audience watching it. And imho, they made a royal mess of Evita when they put Madonna in it -- horrible, horrible film version of the play.

Oh, and another remake I'd enjoy, if it was done well, with good casting, would be a remake of The Music Man. It would have to have good casting though, else there'd be more trouble right there in river city!
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    Oh, and another remake I'd enjoy, if it was done well, with good casting, would be a remake of The Music Man. It would have to have good casting though, else there'd be more trouble right there in river city!
    I love musicals, too, and The Music Man is one of my favorites. If they were to remake this, who could play Robert Preston's role? Hugh Jackman? What about Shirley Jones' Marion? Mr. Rose was actually in The Music Man when he was a little boy. He's the little blonde boy in all the dancing scenes. He has wonderful memories about it, and says it was a lot of fun.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Mr. Rose was actually in The Music Man when he was a little boy. He's the little blonde boy in all the dancing scenes. He has wonderful memories about it, and says it was a lot of fun.
    Oh, how cool is that?! That's great to have such a connection to the original, roseskid!

You know, I can't really think of anyone right off the top of my head who could be a good Professor Hill. Robert Preston had such a special energy with that role. Hmmm.....

I wonder how Matthew Broderick would do in that role? (I have only seen Hugh Jackman in one movie ever, so don't know enough about him to offer an opinion on how he'd do, sorry ) I think Nathan Lane would be good if only he were a bit taller and less pudgy, poor guy, lol. I think Kevin Kline might make a good Professor Hill -- he certainly has the energy, a good age for it, and the showmanship quality needed in the big production numbers. A friend of mine suggested Steve Martin, but as much as I love Steve Martin, I just can't see him carrying the grand finale number of 76 Trombones.

Oh boy, I don't even have a clue who could fill the Shirley Jones role What actress in that age group today could convincingly play a nice wholesome pretty girl next door type and still sing and dance with believable enthusiasm? Most of the blonde cookie cutter actresses who first come to mind only come with a sluttiness factor about them, or can't sing
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I saw the trailer for Rent last night, which can be found here:
    http://movies.channel.aol.com/franch...ves/rent_movie

And I have to admit, it looks really good! Jesse L. Martin sounds better than ever.

Oh, how cool is that?! That's great to have such a connection to the original, roseskid!

You know, I can't really think of anyone right off the top of my head who could be a good Professor Hill. Robert Preston had such a special energy with that role. Hmmm.....

I wonder how Matthew Broderick would do in that role? (I have only seen Hugh Jackman in one movie ever, so don't know enough about him to offer an opinion on how he'd do, sorry ) I think Nathan Lane would be good if only he were a bit taller and less pudgy, poor guy, lol. I think Kevin Kline might make a good Professor Hill -- he certainly has the energy, a good age for it, and the showmanship quality needed in the big production numbers. A friend of mine suggested Steve Martin, but as much as I love Steve Martin, I just can't see him carrying the grand finale number of 76 Trombones.

Oh boy, I don't even have a clue who could fill the Shirley Jones role What actress in that age group today could convincingly play a nice wholesome pretty girl next door type and still sing and dance with believable enthusiasm? Most of the blonde cookie cutter actresses who first come to mind only come with a sluttiness factor about them, or can't sing
    They did remake it in 2003 with Matthew Broderick as Henry Hill. Much as I like Broderick, it just wasn't as good as the original. The others too, were not bad, but you can't replace Shirley Jones, Paul Ford, Hermione Gingold, Pert Kelton, and little Ron Howard as the boy.

FORT Fan
    I love musicals, if they're well made with real singers, going all the way back to the old black and whites.

Unfortunately, just because a muscial was great at the time, not all should be remade, imho. There's talk now by one of the heirs of Richard Rogers of remaking The Sound of Music, and I just cannot imagine how any remake of that could come close to the magic of the original with Julie Andrews and Chris Plummer. That was a movie musical that didn't need high tech or gimmicks... the scenery and the music is all it needed. I cross my fingers they don't try to remake that one.

I couldn't agree more. Don't mess with purrrrrrfection!!!! However, I thought it was brought to broadway??? NO???

Favorite musicals..... Sound of Music and as a Annie, as a child. I couldn't stop singing... "tomorrow, tomorrow... I love you tomorrow, you're always a day away"

Other show I loved.... Les Mis... the singing was amazing in that as well.

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    I saw the trailer for Rent last night, which can be found here:
    http://movies.channel.aol.com/franch...ves/rent_movie

And I have to admit, it looks really good! Jesse L. Martin sounds better than ever.
    Thanks for the link...... Looks awesome!!! I can't wait to see it.....
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

I've been pumped for the RENT movie for so long. Rosario Dawson supposedly sounds amazing as Mimi, but I'm skeptical that she can surpass our original Mimi. The trailer was amazing. Seeing little glimpses of all the major scenes was great, as well as getting a first listen at the new soundtrack. I can't wait!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast