+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Favorite movie scenes

Cool thread.

Many scenes, here's just one for a start:

The scene in The Color Purple when Sug Avery hears her father's church singing at the same time that she's singin' at the Juke Joint, and she decides to sort of "duel" with him/defy him, singing and approaching the church, and she gets louder, the choir inside the church gets louder, and they duel it out until Sug and her anxious followers/onlookers bust into the church, her unaccepting father the preacher looks at her, and she runs up to him and hugs him, and his cold exterior melts and he finally hugs her back after years of pretending she doesn't exist for her shameful lifestyle. Everyone cheers. Makes me cry...every time.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Originally posted by dobolina
    And then there is the scene in "Shawshank Redemption" when he escapes and we find out how he totally screwed the warden over....
    Hey dobolina! I was going to add that to my post! You beat me to it! (Love that whole dang scene)
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Shazzer
    Cool thread.

Many scenes, here's just one for a start:

The scene in The Color Purple when Sug Avery hears her father's church singing at the same time that she's singin' at the Juke Joint, and she decides to sort of "duel" with him/defy him, singing and approaching the church, and she gets louder, the choir inside the church gets louder, and they duel it out until Sug and her anxious followers/onlookers bust into the church, her unaccepting father the preacher looks at her, and she runs up to him and hugs him, and his cold exterior melts and he finally hugs her back after years of pretending she doesn't exist for her shameful lifestyle. Everyone cheers. Makes me cry...every time.
    I liked that too! That was a great movie, although I preferred the book (Alice Walker has so many great books!).

Originally posted by AnnaRHR
    I liked that too! That was a great movie, although I preferred the book (Alice Walker has so many great books!).
    Me too! As a matter of fact I just read it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, after having seen the movie long ago. I loved it.

Good Will Hunting - Matt Damon/Robin Williams on the bench, with Sean telling Will that for a genius, he has a lot to learn about life.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Fade to black
    That's my bro's favorite scene Miss F... good one.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Originally posted by ajg113
    The scene in Grosse Point Blank where John Cusack (my future husband, for those of you who don't know this yet) is holding the baby at the reunion. My God. "Under Pressure" is playing in the background, and I lose it every time.
    Cool! Another Grosse Pointe Blank fan.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I love Dobolina's choices--ditto to those (the carbonite scene is the high point of Star Wars, for me).

I love the end of Sense and Sensibility when Emma Thompson goes into hysterics.

About A Boy, when Hugh Grant is on stage playing guitar, and, oh, loads of scenes in that one.

Vertigo, when James Stewart makes her try on all the gray suits.

The Bob Barker scene in Happy Gilmore.

Okay, I'll stop now.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Originally posted by spegs
    I love the end of Sense and Sensibility when Emma Thompson goes into hysterics.

About A Boy, when Hugh Grant is on stage playing guitar, and, oh, loads of scenes in that one.
    Ditto to those. And in About A Boy when Hugh Grant and the kid have such a different take on the "lunch date",
    i.e. boy - "mom looked really good, she was wearing those earrings that friend got her from Africa and that great hairy jumper."
    Hugh - "his mom was clearly insane and wearing some sort of Yetti costume"

Or when Hugh's getting the boys long address and adds sarcastically, "England, the world, the universe."

Originally posted by spegs
    I love Dobolina's choices--ditto to those (the carbonite scene is the high point of Star Wars, for me).
    Thanks Spegs! I actually often put in ESB and watch just that scene. It never fails to get a reaction out of me. I think it has to do with Chewie's reaction, and the music playing too. Like I said, in all of the Star Wars movies, this is THE BEST acted, written, filmed, etc.

BTW, Hazy, GREAT THREAD!

Ok, here's another fav--another Costner baseball movie(and speech!)--the scene towards the end of "Field of Dreams" when James Earl Jones gives the "People will Come" speech. "Oh yes, People WILL come"

(If you can't already tell, baseball is one of my favorite sports--I feel that baseball, more than any other sport, reflects the mood, history, and political atmosphere of our country...but I guess that is a post for an whole different thread!)
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast