+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dunkirk

  1. #1
    Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,450

    Dunkirk

    If you're going to see this - and haven't already - our advice is to at least read the Wikipedia entry on it. We had no idea about the Dunkirk evacuation, and were lost from the beginning. A little "Star Wars" crawl at the beginning would have helped a lot.

    There's not a lot of dialogue, and we had trouble understanding the accents. And there were a lot of unknown (to us) young British actors of the same age with dark hair, so it was hard to tell them apart.

    Everyone I know who saw it loved it, and it's gotten really high ratings. But for Mr. AZC and me, it was .
    I'm Paula.

  2. #2
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    20,912

    Re: Dunkirk

    Dunkirk - one of the greatest evacuations of an army and by civilians.
    AZChristian likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

  3. #3
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    20,912

    Re: Dunkirk

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    If you're going to see this - and haven't already - our advice is to at least read the Wikipedia entry on it. We had no idea about the Dunkirk evacuation, and were lost from the beginning. A little "Star Wars" crawl at the beginning would have helped a lot.

    There's not a lot of dialogue, and we had trouble understanding the accents. And there were a lot of unknown (to us) young British actors of the same age with dark hair, so it was hard to tell them apart.

    Everyone I know who saw it loved it, and it's gotten really high ratings. But for Mr. AZC and me, it was .
    I had heard the director had put in a lot of convoluted story plots about the characters that some critics felt were unnecessary. So why didn't you and Mr. AZC not like it?
    No goat killers on my island.

  4. #4
    Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,450

    Re: Dunkirk

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Dunkirk - one of the greatest evacuations of an army and by civilians.
    NOW you tell me. LOL. Did you see the movie? It might have been good for them to focus on more than just one civilian boat. It wasn't clear until the very end how many civilian boats were involved. We also thought it strange that it looked like the British airplanes floated better than the ships.
    I'm Paula.

  5. #5
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    20,912

    Re: Dunkirk

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    NOW you tell me. LOL. Did you see the movie? It might have been good for them to focus on more than just one civilian boat. It wasn't clear until the very end how many civilian boats were involved. We also thought it strange that it looked like the British airplanes floated better than the ships.
    Haven't seen the movie but wanted to ... I have known about Dunkirk for many, many years and have seen some aspects of it as I do watch some PBS stuff ...

    per wiki:

    The Little Ships of Dunkirk were 700 private boats that sailed from Ramsgate in England to Dunkirk in France between 26 May and 4 June 1940 as part of Operation Dynamo, helping to rescue more than 338,000 British and French soldiers who were trapped on the beaches at Dunkirk during the Second World War.
    What fascinated me is that all these civilians some in small sailing boats, fishing boats, people from all walks of live got together to do this one massive rescue.
    waywyrd, Arielflies and Cornholio like this.
    No goat killers on my island.

  6. #6
    Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,450

    Re: Dunkirk

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Haven't seen the movie but wanted to ... I have known about Dunkirk for many, many years and have seen some aspects of it as I do watch some PBS stuff ...

    per wiki:

    What fascinated me is that all these civilians some in small sailing boats, fishing boats, people from all walks of live got together to do this one massive rescue.
    They made it clear at the very end how MANY of those boats were involved, but you didn't really have a sense of that during the movie. Honestly, a quick "roll" at the beginning would have taken 2 minutes and made the movie more sensible for those of us who (if we ever knew it) didn't know about Dunkirk.

    I put a comment on FB about how "lost" we were for most of the story, and one of my friends - who did enjoy the movie - said that she had read up on it before going to see it, as she had heard the same comment from others who had already seen the movie.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    I'm Paula.

  7. #7
    Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    44,843

    Re: Dunkirk

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    They made it clear at the very end how MANY of those boats were involved, but you didn't really have a sense of that during the movie. Honestly, a quick "roll" at the beginning would have taken 2 minutes and made the movie more sensible for those of us who (if we ever knew it) didn't know about Dunkirk.

    I put a comment on FB about how "lost" we were for most of the story, and one of my friends - who did enjoy the movie - said that she had read up on it before going to see it, as she had heard the same comment from others who had already seen the movie.
    I'm going to wait, hubby wants to see it, so I suggested taking my son. I'll wait for the DVD and get it from the library. Thanks for your comments AZ..
    momrek06 and AZChristian like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  8. #8
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    9,072

    Re: Dunkirk

    There was a crawl at the beginning...maybe not explanatory enough? I don't recall how much detail it gave.
    I thought it was just ok. Everybody was hyping it up so maybe I expected more.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

  9. #9
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    11,717

    Re: Dunkirk

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I'm going to wait, hubby wants to see it, so I suggested taking my son. I'll wait for the DVD and get it from the library. Thanks for your comments AZ..
    Same here, Hubby wants to see it badly....but too painful for me.

    He can wait until it is on DVD as well. And watch it w/o me.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    KAREN

  10. #10
    Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    44,843

    Re: Dunkirk

    Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Same here, Hubby wants to see it badly....but too painful for me.

    He can wait until it is on DVD as well. And watch it w/o me.
    He might go on his own, I often go during a week..
    momrek06 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.