+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Overrated movies...

Fade to black

Overrated movies...

List movies that received all the hype in the world, but made you wondering what the hell it was that had everyone talking about and/or loving it so much... You can still like the movie (and I usually do) but they just weren't greatness to you...

For me, these ones come to mind...

Titanic
    Casablanca
    L.A. Confidential
    The Straight Story (possibly the worst movie in history for me)
    A Beautiful Mind
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

The English Patient

One of the most overblown pieces of trash I've ever seen.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Oh, and I'm with you on Titanic, Hazy.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I'm with you on A Beautiful Mind, hazy.

I also thought Chicago was overrated along with The Gladiator.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Fade to black
    Oh Chicago, definitely.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

XXX

X-men 2 - I saw it and I did like it, but honestly if it hadn't been for Wolverine, there would have been nothing there....

I agree with you about the English Patient too.... I love both Ralph Fiennes & Juliette Binoche but I wasn't too fond of that movie, definitely too much hype...

Eyes Wide Shut - was really hyped when it came out but it was trash ....
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

FORT Newbie
    Hello everyone! This is my first post, so I'm still learning the ropes, so to speak. I honestly thought that Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers was way over-hyped. I've read the books, and I couldn't help but feeling that Peter Jackson, et. al. made a number of changes that were totally unnecessary, i.e. the elves coming to fight at Helm's Deep, the dumbing down of the dialogue. I still enjoyed the movie on more superficial levels, and I thought the music in particular was quite good, much more original than I had heard in a while. In any case, I'm really looking forward to the third installment, and I'm curious to see if anyone out there agrees with me.
    But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, in order that I may finish my course, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.--Acts 20:24

Fade to black
    Welcome to FORT Moderata...

I'm actually the reverse on LOTR. I didn't care for the books, but love the movies.

Moderata Glad you're here!

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Two classics that generally are regarded as Top 25 by the AFI, but IMHO are way overrated are To Kill a Mockingbird, and Lawrence of Arabia...

i went thru a stage where thru Netflix we rented all of the AFI top 100 movies- these two stand out as being duds/disappointments!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast