+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Overrated movies...

(Some folks say Schindler's list had a sappy ending, but I found it moving.)
    "Schindler's List", sappy? No way! That ending packed a punch. In fact, it's on my list of "favourite movie moments".

Hmm...however, I've a confession to make. Even though I was *totally* in lust with Liam Neeson at the time (no! Don't recoil from me in disgust! I like older men. What's the opposite of pedophilia? *koff koff*) - I actually wanted "The Piano" to win Best Picture at the Oscars. Again, because I found it to be more original.

Hmm..."The Green Mile"? Haven't seen it. Sounds like one of those serious, didactic movies frequently called a "tour de force" but in reality collapses under the weight of its own moral themes. Again, I could be wrong. Maybe it's really good. I've never been a fan of Tom Hanks, however - although I loved "Philadelphia".

Totally agree w/ you on "LOTR", kchamber. If they don't award either Best Picture or Best Director to Jackson next year, I'm going to scream in frustration. Like a harpy. Only worse.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    "Schindler's List", sappy? No way! That ending packed a punch. In fact, it's on my list of "favourite movie moments".
    You're probably thinking about the moment with Schindler asking if you could have saved one more. Instead I think most complainers refer to the epilogue where we see the real surviving Schindler Jews.

Hmm..."The Green Mile"? Haven't seen it. Sounds like one of those serious, didactic movies frequently called a "tour de force" but in reality collapses under the weight of its own moral themes.
    Very good guess, but I don't even think it had good moral themes. It was more like it tried to fake substance through emotional manipulation. The end result was insulting.
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Some Random musings here.....Chicago was a definate over-hype. I am a big fan of fosse...where was the dancing in this re-make, wrong cast to be sure.

On Kubrick...Strangelove was great...2001 was most acclaimed for its special effects...which for 1969 lived up to the hype but seem tired today...but he does belong here need I mention Barry Lyndon..

and Anything by Kevin Costner....not just Dances with Wolves....all too long....too often praised and always disappointing.....Waterworld was so much worse...and if you like that sort of thing was much better done in the first two Mad Max movies

which brings me to the most over-hyped Movie ever....MAD MAX III

Platoon.

I usually love war movies. Not this one.

*pssst*

I think "The Piano Teacher" is vastly overrated. Grand Jury Prize, my a**. Isabelle Hubert is a non-actor, Magimel is merely eye-candy, and what the film says about sadomasochism, dominance, and sexual relations made me yaawwwn. To cap it off, that sex scene put me to sleep. I had a better time at "Waterworld".

*runs away screaming as Zhora officially bans her from FoRT*

Nausicaa! It's going to take a lot more than that to make my finger hover over the ban button.

Life would be terribly boring if everyone shared the same taste. Every film would be mainstream. Ick.

Just because I happen to think Isabelle Huppert and Benoit Magimel are wonderful actors doesn't mean I would dislike you for not appreciating their talent. Yes, I thought The Piano Teacher was great, and well deserving of those 3 prizes, but I can easily see why it wouldn't be to everyone's liking.

I didn't see it as making a statement about sadomasochism at all. That seemed to be just a building block for character development, and I found all 3 main characters to be fascinating.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    The Hours very overated, and My Big fat Greek wedding...Monsoon Wedding was much better.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

The Hours plain sucked!

Catch me if u can

I watched the hours for the first time about a week ago. I thought it was really boring. I really don't understand all the hype.
    And could someone please clear this up for me..did Virginia Woolf start making out with her sister??? That's really what it looked like to me.
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

- Moulin Rouge (Need I say more?)
    - Evita (I walked out of the theatre)
    - Breakfast at Tiffany's (Sorry)
    - Eyes Wide Shut (I didn't watch it all)
    - My Big Fat Greek Wedding (This was the biggest disapointment! Everyone raved about it when I finally sat down to watch it, I was like... That's it???)
    - Fargo
    - The Good Girl (If you haven't seen this yet.... DON'T!! I tortured myself and watched the whole thing waiting for something good to happen!)
    - One Hour Photo (Robin William's was great, but the story was boooooooring!)

I gotta disagree with Forest Gump, Titanic, Pretty Woman and Catch Me If You Can!
    Last edited by Fable; 10-16-2003 at 01:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread