+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Overrated movies...

Black Hawk Down – If you saw the History Channel’s amazing, two-hour, better-than-a-movie play by play of the day, interviewing the author and the real survivors, you’d think the movie bites in comparison (or at least I did). The "Mogadishu Mile" in the movie looked like a casual, fun, jog, whereas the real account sounds like it was death defying and terrifying. The movie made it seem anticlimactic. Actually, I felt that the movie made a lot of things seem anticlimactic in comparison to the book/real life account. The soldiers left on the ground after the chopper crash, the captivity of the one soldier, all seemed anti-climactic compared to the History Channel special/real life account. I felt like the real life account was very emotional, and the movie just seemed, “Hollywood” to me. Also, there seemed to be an extremely tense and nail-biting snowball-type crescendo to the HC special, and the movie didn’t have that same escalating tension.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Princess
    Oh, I'm happy to see that I'm not alone on these ones!
    - My Left Foot
    - 2001 Space Odyssey (actually, I agree with Moderata about "Anything from Stanley Kubrick (except Dr. Strangelove; that one was really funny))
    - Moulin Rouge
    - Forrest Gump
    - In The Bedroom (cablejockey, I couldn't even finish watching it!)
    - Dances With Wolves

Chicago, Titanic, and The English Patient.... I knew I would hate those, so I didn't even try .

Have a couple more:
    - Sixth Sense
    - What Lies Beneath
    Hmm... I probably have a bunch more that I have happily forgotten about - have to think about it for a bit .

FORT Fan
    I think most peoples' views on whether My Big Fat Greek Wedding was overrated or not depends on when you first saw it. If I had watched when it first came out, before it garnered so much word-of-mouth or publicity, I probably would have said, "That was fun, it deserved more pub." If I first saw it after it had been out 15 weeks and it was setting box-office records I would have said "It's pretty good, but what's the big deal?"
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

FORT Fan
    I agree that Sixth Sense was very overrated. Take out you-know-what and it would have been awful. A great movie shouldn't be like that.

I consider Casablanca one of the I've seen.
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

FORT Newbie
    -In The Bedroom (Really boring)
    -A Beautiful Mind (Boring)
    -Miss Congeniality (really corny, imo)
    -My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Not bad... but not GREAT)
    -Star Wars 1 and 2 (the original 3 were good, but these just made the whole concept confusing)

..but I DID love Titanic, Chicago, Moulin Rouge, and Citizen Kane, which I noticed a lot of ppl didn't like... I guess it's all just a matter of opinion!

Sunshine Creations Inc.
    Both new Star Wars
    -The Phantom Menece
    -Attack of the clones
    Really disappointing...it's like watching cartoons with humans acting together.
    Aloha

I think American Beauty was fairly significantly overrated. The acting was pretty good, but the overall movie did nothing for me. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I thought the whole thing was pretty ho-hum.

I see that a lot of people think "The English Patient" is overrated. Perhaps these same people would think Ondaatje's book (upon which the movie is based) equally overrated, had they but read it.

I loved both. Yes, the film, w/ its meandering and dreamy quality, might put off those who are quick to write off movies like that as "dull", "slow", or "pretentious", but personally, I found Minghella's visual language a perfect echo of Ondaatje's lyrical prose. Plot-driven it ain't. Yet, by the end, everything is revealed with subtle clarity and poignancy, and I - at least - walked away from the theatre feeling I had seen something special.

Even if you didn't like the film, you should at least give props to the fact that it was made in the first place. Ondaatje's novel is *not* an easy one to translate onto the screen. There have been much, much worse adaptations, with novels that are easier to adapt - ie. "The Beach", "Captain Corelli's Mandolin".

OK. here's my Short list.
    Both Starwars Prequels.
    Anything with J:lo..... but particularly 'The Cell'
    What Lies Beneath
    Goldmember.... just seemed too odd and not funny enough.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Forrest Gump overrated? That was a terrific film!
    What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure. -Samuel Johnson

+ Reply to Thread