+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Mommy Dead and Dearest on HBO

Mommy Dead and Dearest on HBO

Has anyone seen this Doc on HBO?

shocking, disturbing and sad all in one.

'Mommy Dead and Dearest'

Mommy Dead and Dearest | HBO Documentary Films l HBO

SYNOPSIS:

Things are not always as they appear, especially in the case of Dee Dee and Gypsy Rose Blanchard.

Child Abuse, mental illness, and forbidden love converge in this mystery involving a mother and daughter who were thought to be living a fairy tale life that turned out to be a living nightmare.

What starts out as a grisly tale of matricide morphs into a rabbit hole of deception and unrelenting abuse, journeying towards the truth about what happened that night.

Featuring exclusive access to Gypsy from prison and a trove of police interrogation tapes, medical records, and secret conversations, this HBO Documentary Film is a disturbing, first-hand look at a life arrested and the consequences of trying to keep someone young forever.

AN HBO DOCUMENTARY FILM.
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

Re: Mommy Dead and Dearest on HBO

Thanks! Looks good. I'll check it out today.
    momrek06 likes this.
    Lynda

Someone mentioned it in one of my facebook groups yesterday so I watched it when I got home. I realized i had heard or read bout the story somewhere, not knowing the full story. Pretty interesting, and sad that Gypsy didn't feel like she could reach out to her dad or anyone else.
    momrek06 likes this.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    Someone mentioned it in one of my facebook groups yesterday so I watched it when I got home. I realized i had heard or read bout the story somewhere, not knowing the full story. Pretty interesting, and sad that Gypsy didn't feel like she could reach out to her dad or anyone else.
    I think the Mother was just sooooooo controlling that Gypsy felt contacting him would be wrong.

But at the same time, the Dad should have tried really really hard to have a relationship with Gypsy even if the Mother was controlling.

I think that Gypsy as well as the Dad were afraid of the Mother.
    Punkin and AmyKay like this.
    KAREN

Very bizarre story. I'm glad Gypsy only got 10 years. Her mother was a grifting monster. I feel sorry for the poor fool who Gypsy manipulated into murdering the mother.
    Lynda

I commented on it the other night in the "What Are You Watching" thread and then I watched it again last night.

I was struck by how well-spoken Gypsy is, in spite of just having a second grade education. Maybe my surprise is also due to her persona in all the videos her mother took of her. She was clearly putting on an act, although I guess that was a result of her mother infantilizing her for all those years.

I have such mixed feelings about Gypsy's sentence. On the one hand, she did conspire to murder her mother. OTOH, she did so after suffering YEARS of abuse at the hands of her mother. It's how I feel about abused wives. Maybe Gypsy wasn't in immediate physical danger (like a gun to her head or beatings), but her mother was causing her injury on a daily basis as a result of ALL of those drugs. That drugs cabinet was horrifying. She could have killed Gypsy so easily just from bad drug interactions. She already DID cause some of Gypsy's health complications because of those drugs. That doesn't even bring all of the mental and emotional abuse DeeDee heaped on Gypsy.

Gypsy's father and step mother seem like okay people, but I have to wonder how clueless and disconnected from your own child you have to be to not know what was going on. I mean, that's a pretty MAJOR con she had going there. DeeDee definitely had serious mental issues. I'm amazed that she got away with that act for all that time and NO ONE exposed her. The fact that Gypsy could walk that whole time is jaw-dropping.

Like I said (I think) in the other thread: I hope Gypsy can do some work on herself while she's incarcerated and maybe come out with at least a GED and a purpose in her life. It looks like her dad and step mother will be there for her when she is released.

Even though Gypsy did commit a crime, I can't help but feel sorry for her. Look how much of her life her mother took from her by keeping her nearly imprisoned for her entire life until the murder, which then led to her being literally imprisoned. It's just a very sad story all around.
    Punkin, beerbelly, AmyKay and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just read about this yesterday in People magazine. I have got to see it.
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy-Topic Overview

In all her years being 'abused' by DeeDee, there was one MD that 'thought' MBPS was a 'possiblity' with Gypsy but that is all the MD did was note it in her chart and nothing more.
    Punkin and libgirl2 like this.
    KAREN

If you're into podcasts, here it is for you:
    https://www.acast.com/swordandscale/...ale-episode-49
    I love Sword and Scale. I'll have to check out the movie, if I can get it.
    "I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye." Dr. Who (10th doctor and my favorite)

It's airing again right now, so I have it on while I'm cleaning. Something just struck me. When they're talking about Nick and his record they mention that he was arrested because he was sitting in a McDonald's and pleasuring himself for NINE hours!? WTF? How did that go on for NINE hours and no one did anything? If I was the manager at that place, I would have been calling the cops the second he whipped it out. I wonder how that whole discussion (deciding whether to call the cops or not) went. I feel like the documentary left out some stuff
    Punkin and beerbelly like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast