+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Golden Globes 2017

Re: Golden Globes 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    True, it is about the GGs and ugly dresses. I just have always hated speeches like this at award shows. There is a time and a place, and I just don't think this was it..again jmho.
    Exactly. It was not the time or the place for this speech. It was her chance to slam Trump, and she took the low road. It's her right to not like Trump, but it wasn't necessary to stir the pot. Again. I didn't see her speech as positive OR correct. JMO.
    Last edited by angelic_one2002; 01-11-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "We live in a society obsessed with public opinion. But leadership has never been about popularity." - Sen. Marco Rubio

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    I don't lose any respect for anyone who speaks their mind in an open forum where there are millions listening. The outrage, or whatever it is over her speech is pretty silly.
    She made a clear and concise point about people in power, bullying, gave a perfect example and encouraged everyone to NOT be that person.

If people don't like it, are bothered that she did it during her speech.. I say those people lost, what? 6 minutes of their lives listening to a positive, correct and poignant speech. I'm sure people have lost 6 minutes of their lives watching and listening to worse things before and certainly will again.
    Exactly.
    Maveno and AmyKay like this.
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”

― Maya Angelou

Trump did a particularly despicable thing in mocking and imitating, in a very ugly way, a disabled person. We all saw it - several times. To most of us it was unbelievable that someone would do such a vile thing to amuse his crowd, and amuse them it did. And now he lies and pretends he didn't do what we all saw him do. He lies because he got caught behaving in a way that society says is completely unacceptable for any grown, decent human being. That isn't political incorrectness, that is vile bullying.

I haven't read one person here, in decrying Streep's speech, who has also condemned Trump's behavior. That says something to me.
    Maveno, libgirl2, AmyKay and 2 others like this.
    Lynda

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Trump did a particularly despicable thing in mocking and imitating, in a very ugly way, a disabled person. We all saw it - several times. To most of us it was unbelievable that someone would do such a vile thing to amuse his crowd, and amuse them it did. And now he lies and pretends he didn't do what we all saw him do. He lies because he got caught behaving in a way that society says is completely unacceptable for any grown, decent human being. That isn't political incorrectness, that is vile bullying.

I haven't read one person here, in decrying Streep's speech, who has also condemned Trump's behavior. That says something to me.
    That doesn't mean that they don't feel that way -- it simply means this is a thread about the Golden Globes and Trump wasn't there. The absence of decrying something should not be assumed to be endorsing it.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

I'm not upholding Trump in any way during that scene with the disabled reporter. Trump claims he mocked (with his hand) the way the reporter "tried to pull away from him in the interview." I condemn both Streep's speech and Trump's behavior, if he indeed meant it with malice.
    Last edited by angelic_one2002; 01-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "We live in a society obsessed with public opinion. But leadership has never been about popularity." - Sen. Marco Rubio

And I appreciate that angelic, but condemn is a terribly strong word. I'm sorry that her thoughts didn't resonate with you but she only did what most actors and actresses do, especially when they are receiving a lifetime achievement award, and that was to speak from her heart. I believe this was the very sentiment President Obama expressed last night, that we must recognize and protect our democracy.
    Maveno likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

It was mentioned upthread...the word "condemn" regarding those decrying Streep's speech and not condemning Trump's behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    It was mentioned upthread...the word "condemn" regarding those decrying Streep's speech and not condemning Trump's behavior.
    angelic, we can talk about this off thread; I was just differentiating between Punkin's two thoughts - decrying Meryl and condemning Trump - as opposed to you condemning both.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

There is a group that is highly critical of Ms. Streep's `speech': Those within the disabled community, who've hit back hard against her tone deaf comments. Editorials writhen by disabled activists criticizing Streep have appeared in newspapers, on blogs, twitter and as response in audio interviews. As for me, I spend 80 percent of my time in a wheelchair, so I'm more attuned to comments that describe us as utterly helpless if not for the able-bodied coming to our rescue ...well these folks explain it better than I can:
    Dear Meryl Streep, the Disabled Community Has Bigger Fish to Fry Than Donald Trump's Mockery | Alternet.

The following comes from several essays that are responses to Streep:
    Streep’s comments stand in stark contrast to the ways in which people with disabilities are shut out of awards shows and the entertainment industry as a whole. Outside of Streep’s reference to Kovaleski, there was barely a mention of anyone with a physical disability during Sunday’s show.
    Hollywood is willing to touch on the issue of disability without actually inviting any members of the community to partake in the conversation, according to New York Times best-selling author and disability activist Kody Keplinger.
    “I couldn’t help rolling my eyes,” Keplinger told The Huffington Post. She’s a co-founder of Disability in KidLit, an online resource regarding the depiction of disability in children’s and young adult literature. “The applause in the room felt almost self-congratulatory. ”Nearly 1 person in 5 in America has a disability, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. But Hollywood hasn’t made much room for this demographic. In 2015, only 2.4 percent of notable characters in the top-grossing 100 movies had a disability. When people with disabilities are depicted on the big screen, they tend to be played by actors who are able-bodied in real life. Last year, “Me Before You,” Thea Sharrock’s heartbreaking romantic film about a stud who becomes paralyzed and falls in love with his caretaker, featured actor Sam Claflin in the lead role. Claflin doesn’t use a wheelchair. BTW, Cliffing character commits suicide because he concludes spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair is not living at all. HE leaves all his money to said caretaker so she can find real love with an able bodied person.
    Nor is this a recent phenomenon. One of Dustin Hoffman’s career-defining roles was as a man with autism in Barry Levinson’s 1988 hit “Rain Man.”
    The list goes on. And the issue is just as prevalent in television. Ninety-five percent of characters with disabilities on TV are portrayed by able-bodied actors.
    And yes, representation matters.
    “Imagine what it would feel like to be a woman and for the only women you ever saw in films to be played by men. Imagine what it would feel like to be a member of an ethnic minority and for the only portrayals of your race you ever saw in films to be given by white people,” Scott Jordan Harris wrote in an opinion piece for Slate in 2015. “That’s what it’s like being a disabled person at the movies.”
    Streep concluded her Golden Globes speech with a quote from her late friend, the actress Carrie Fisher: “Take your broken heart and make it into art.”
    Now if only Hollywood would just extend that invitation to people with disabilities.

Side note: Trevor Noah let Streep know there was one flaw in her speech: “I understand what Meryl Streep was trying to do, and I don’t know if I could’ve done better in that moment, but here’s the thing I feel like we could all learn as people: You don’t have to make your point by bleeping on someone else’s thing, because a lot of people love football and the arts.”(In reference to Streep stating sports fans are not fans of the arts.")
    Last edited by redsox girl; 01-11-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    "The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be Brave. Live."- Buffy Summers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345