+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 7/28 Premiere Show discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 7/28 Premiere Show discussion *Spoilers*

I was busy typing recipes into my computer because I do have fun "living in the kitchen," so I didn't notice the weight on the screen you are all posting about. I didn't like the way Luke manipulated some of the girls into kissing him, but as for the girls, there were some I thought were really cool. I did not think anybody humiliated themselves, and I did not think the show humiliated them, really. I was rooting for them all, unlike some cast members of so many reality shows -- Big Brother or Hell's Kitchen come immediately to mind. I hope it doesn't go downhill from here, hope he doesn't turn out to be a jerk, for instance.

I thought it was funny when a commercial came on and the girl looked so sickly skinny in comparison to what we'd just been watching, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by KimD;3623042;
    Yup. To be size 14 at 150 would be pretty unusual. I'm 5'7", and at 150 I wear large size 8s and 10s. Haven't been that for awhile though!
    Yep, I'm 5'10" and at 140/150 pounds, I'd be in a size 10 or smaller. A size 14 or 16 means I weigh between 175 and 195. Obviously it all depends on height and fat/muscle, but 140 is much too small for the average (ha!) woman to be in a 14 or 16. My mom is 5'7" and weighs about 150 pounds and wears a 6 or an 8.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by liz_momof2;3623599;
    Okay I have to comment on this thread as I watched the show. I am another plus-sized woman (5'7" 230 size 20/22) who is heavily annoyed with the show and putting their weight on screen and the whiny, desperate sounding PIs. Although I am happily married now, I hovered around 185/90 before having children and I had no problems meeting or attracting men. Even now at the heaviest I have ever been, I still get doors held open for me and flirted with by men. I definitely think a lot of it is the way one carries oneself and their attitude. I know it's not always as easy as that, I have experienced a few comments but nothing truly bad and I don't let it get to me.
    Just from what I heard from these ladies I doubt they would be any more confident at 120 lbs. They just seem like unhappy,downtrodden young women.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyAKite;3623843;
    I started to watch the show last night and I had to stop after about 1/2 hour. I have been a little overweight, too small and now I am close to getting to where I want to be.

The whole time I have been any of the sizes I have had confidence. That is what make me sad is that no one seemed to be having fun except for the one who jumped in the pool.

Size doesn't matter to me but Luke had a personality of wet cardboard ! BORING ! How about if the ladies kick him out and just focus on having a good time for a month or two.

I think it is refreshing that everyone has been so honest on their posts about their size so I will mention that I am 5'6" and weigh 165 lbs. I fit comfortably into a size 16 but then I don't like my clothes too tight. I wear size 14 from Lane Bryant but I think they size their clothes to be generous.

I think that if the producers wanted to include their weight then they should of had a weight range say 150 to 200 on the screen and not have 177 lbs. They didn't have to be so specific.

Could someone who watched to show to the end tell me since he gave everyone a ring when he kicks them out does he take the ring back ?
    i think i say this for every one of these types of shows but

they can basically put Biz Markie (or any random dude) in as bach and the ladies will swoon and fall in love on the first night

it's unrealistic that all these women can think that the guy is goodlooking or even charming...

i challenge the producers to put in the ugliest cat they can find as bach the next go around and see if the results change

-----

btw, what was the casting process for this show, were these bach rejects or did they have an open call for "plus size women for reality show"

I was upset I missed last night's first episode, but after glancing through this thread...I'm glad I missed it.

I'm 5'6" and have hovered around 160lbs for a few years, going between sizes 10 and 12. In my teens and early 20s, I was never over 120 lbs and wore a Jr's 7.

However, all three of my daughters take after their father's side and have always been overweight. I don't know their weights, but they wear sizes 20-24, depending on the clothes.

They are all pretty confident, and have had boyfriends and been on "real" dates.

Sizism is the last acceptable discrimination. It hurts me, but they never let it show if things hurt them.

Anyway...I guess I won't be turning this show on at all.

Not too much to add as there were so many great points made already. I think Tali is very pretty. I could not believe the black dress the blonde was wearing - she got eliminated - made her boobies look odd. The crying was beyond irritating but I'm sure I'll end up watching the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by dansgrl;3622783;
    I've been a lurker on Bach/ette boards forEVER but finally posting over here. Goodness, could they portray these women as any more desperate or needy? Can't they show them as intelligent, confident women instead of advancing stereotypes? My husband loves big women (and was really excited to watch this show). He was drawn to me not just because of my size but because I have a brain and use it! (He refers to me as "the perfect combination of boobs and brains".) My husband is 5'11" and weighs 165. He's always loved big women and there are plenty of men out there that do. How does this advance acceptance of size if they show women being emotional, needy trainwrecks? Grrrr. Just want to knock some sense into Fleiss!
    To be "fair" to Fleiss (whether or not he deserves it), you have the additional burden of him only being able to choose from overweight women who want to appear on Reality TV. And most people who want to appear on Reality TV and humiliate themselves skew either to the delusional, or the desperate. So its not like his pool of choices was likely to include that many fully functional 190+ pound women. Because he could only deal with the subset willing to agree to this in the first place.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

addison h.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3624559;
    To be "fair" to Fleiss (whether or not he deserves it), you have the additional burden of him only being able to choose from overweight women who want to appear on Reality TV. And most people who want to appear on Reality TV and humiliate themselves skew either to the delusional, or the desperate. So its not like his pool of choices was likely to include that many fully functional 190+ pound women. Because he could only deal with the subset willing to agree to this in the first place.
    true. very true

how funny is it that Fleiss' commercial is all "the average reality show contestant is a size 2..." um... WHO CHOSE THOSE CONTESTANTS??? I love how he's pretending to rebel against a stereotype that HE basically created

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by lovelane;3624479;
    Not too much to add as there were so many great points made already. I think Tali is very pretty. I could not believe the black dress the blonde was wearing - she got eliminated - made her boobies look odd. The crying was beyond irritating but I'm sure I'll end up watching the entire season.
    I told my husband, no one wants to see stomach hanging out where your boobs should be and predicted she would go. (Also thought, she seems like she could easily be a stalker.)

FORT Fanatic

i too thought the black dress on the blond made her boobs look wierd. something wasn't right. i predicted lots of crying, and unfortunately was correct. grrr.

does anyone know if there a blog, discussion, thread...where it is discussed who he let go? i think he let go of the older women first. i bet the heavier women are next. i predict he ends up with a "smaller" woman.

anyone else thinks it was hokey that they get a ring, give it back, only to get it again? couldn't they come up with something more clever than that?

oh...and he doesn't look 330# to me [he looks less].

+ Reply to Thread