+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 7/28 Premiere Show discussion *Spoilers*

FoRT Fan

Re: 7/28 Premiere Show discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by barbell;3622153;
    One episode of that was definitely enough...MF should be put away for abuse...but then the networks buy it and we watch it. Not me; I'm reclaiming my summer - no more Michael Fleiss shows and no more boards for awhile...will miss you all.
    Absolutely agree ..... except I'll be back to read the boards. MF Has hit a new low.

This is my first post. I enjoyed the show but it also really bothered me that they showed us the weight of the contestants. Why would we need to know that? I am not a small girl and I donít even want my husband to know my weight, I certainly donít want to see it on national TV.

I could only tolerate about 20 or so minutes of this show.

Don't think I'll be adding it to my "must see" list.

Wonder if Emme's had any second thoughts about being a part of this trainwreck since she got started with it?

Or, does a paycheck trump self-respect for her?
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Newbie

Addison,

Thanks for your sensitive response,

I do agree that's it's more difficult to be heavy in today's society, absolutely, that's why I used the phrase 'the last acceptable prejudice' re: obesity, esp. in women. And I'm sorry you've had to live with negativity as a result.

The point I was making, which you appeared to understand (thank you), was simply that women of all sizes have body-image issues. Being thin doesn't automatically make one happy with one's body, therefore people should be careful about making comments about physical appearance- no one is immune from hurt.

BTW, I think confidence plays a significant part in how one is viewed, regardless of one's size. Confidence is the universal beauty, IMO. Christina Hendricks, for example (your picture)...if I had that body (which is NOT a size 2), I would ROCK that body. She oozes confidence and sex, I'm a straight woman and I find her intoxicating. I know size prejudice is primarily generated towards woman, that said I've dated men of all types including some very aesthetically handsome men- handsome with 'good' bodies, but the sexist man I ever dated, hands down, was not that attractive AND he was heavy, but he was cocky and that was an enormous turn on. Whoo, is it hot in here?
    Last edited by georgiab3; 07-29-2009 at 01:49 AM.

addison h.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiab3;3622257;
    Addison,

Thanks for your sensitive response,

I do agree that's it's more difficult to be heavy in today's society, absolutely, that's why I used the phrase 'the last acceptable prejudice' re: obesity, esp. in women. And I'm sorry you've had to live with negativity as a result.

The point I was making, which you appeared to understand (thank you), was simply that women of all sizes have body-image issues. Being thin doesn't automatically make one happy with one's body, therefore people should be careful about making comments about physical appearance- no one is immune from hurt.
    True story Georgia this should be an interesting season to say the least. I hope we all stick around to talk about it. (At least it provokes a thoughtful conversation although that's clearly not what Fleiss is aiming for).

AND ITA with you guys about putting their weights up on the screen. I can't imagine that even the teeny tiny girls from the bachelor would be okay with that. I wonder if they told them that would happen. Hmmmmmnnnn.....

Quote Originally Posted by baseballmom3d;3622223;
    This is my first post. I enjoyed the show but it also really bothered me that they showed us the weight of the contestants. Why would we need to know that? I am not a small girl and I don’t even want my husband to know my weight, I certainly don’t want to see it on national TV.
    Did that bother you MORE or LESS than the show silently mocking these ladies by constantly harping on them being "average real women", at what? I think they mostly seemed to be in the 190-220 pound range. I see this as mockery, because that ain't the "size 14"/140 to 150 pound range everyone ELSE seems to advertise as the actual real world "average".

The show does them no favors by introducing deliberate confusion between the concepts of obese, merely overweight, and whatever the hell "average" actually is.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

mickaylal

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3622345;
    Did that bother you MORE or LESS than the show silently mocking these ladies by constantly harping on them being "average real women", at what? I think they mostly seemed to be in the 190-220 pound range. I see this as mockery, because that ain't the "size 14"/140 to 150 pound range everyone ELSE seems to advertise as the actual real world "average".

The show does them no favors by introducing deliberate confusion between the concepts of obese, merely overweight, and whatever the hell "average" actually is.

Yeah I would not call any of them except for the older smaller blonde average sized. They are all pretty much size 18 or more. Plus they seemed so desperate. It was sad. I am a bigger gal myself, but I have never had to do those things to get a man. I have a wonderful, handsome husband who is 5'11" and weighs about 175-180. Why does it have to be a big unhealthy man to pick a girl. There are many men in the world who like big girls. I feel bad for them, because until they actually like who they are.....no matter what size, they are easy targets for men who will crap all over them. This Luke guy annoys the crap outta me already. Seems to me he only wants a big girl so he dont have to do anything to get himself in shape either. All that talk about food food food......ok whatever.....all of them talking about how wonderful he is and how cute and blah blah blah......Sorry I was not impressed with him at all.

i don't get why people are annoyed, grantedi haven't watched the complete show just a few minutes

but i mean it's an exact clone of the bachelor... same pathetic lines coming out the limos, same corny music, same pathetic women (only larger)

so if you all can watch the bachelor and love it, what's the difference

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg;3622577;
    i don't get why people are annoyed, grantedi haven't watched the complete show just a few minutes

but i mean it's an exact clone of the bachelor... same pathetic lines coming out the limos, same corny music, same pathetic women (only larger)

so if you all can watch the bachelor and love it, what's the difference
    Ditto!

FORT Newbie

Speaking as an overweight woman, I didn't have that "confidence" until I had totally given up on finding a soulmate. I had to get to where I just didn't care at all before I developed that confidence. That's when I met my husband and we've now been married for 20 years. But it's hard to be confident when you get treated like you don't matter in this world. People don't take you seriously. How can you develop confidence when every shopping trip includes people looking at you with disgust? I can see where these girls are coming from. I liked Luke. I thought he was attractive and just a gentle person. I can see how the girls got all excited about him. Plus, here's someone they have a chance with.

+ Reply to Thread