+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 7/28 Premiere Show discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Newbie

Re: 7/28 Premiere Show discussion *Spoilers*

OMG, there is always one that has to jump in the pool isn't there?

There is always one who goes into the pool. I suspect that in this case the girl was promised a safety net and that she would get her ring back and be safe for a week (she did too at the end).

I thought it was so sad how some of the contestants were so obsessed about their weight and felt it was their last chance at love.

Very very sad. Also, he seemed to fancy the one that was actually the skinniest of them all (the one who was the blond gal who was only 170 pounds).

I do think that the dresses could have been more flattering and they did not do the girls any favors. Tali's dress was flattering.

addison h.

Quote Originally Posted by shanny;3621812;
    OMG, there is always one that has to jump in the pool isn't there?
    I get why she did it (I think). She must've thought that if she did it and he joined her - or best case scenario - if EVERYBODY joined her, then she'd been the "life of the party" and a definite front-runner.

But I also think - she's in a group of women who (for the most part) have tried for their entire lives not to stick out. She should've realized that they weren't going to do anything "weird" with her. Instead I'm sure they were all thinking "thank God she'll be labeled the weird one now and it won't be me"

eta- and YET he (Fleiss - Man I'll never be able to take any of these shows at face value again) decided to keep her anyway. Go figure.

PS. I was too distracted by the adorable Reid tonight to think about going on the boards during More To Love but I'll definitely be here next week. And ITA with you guys - I'm soo excited to have this forum!!!!

addison h.

P.P.S. And really sad that he didn't pick Michelle. She seemed really cool. (Also sad for Natalia... Natalie? Well anyway the girl from Dallas - gotta root for the home team )

As far as the bachelor himself... well... he's no Reid (someday I'll get past it ) but HE'S MUCH LESS VANILLA that say Aaron, Travis, or Jason... so far I like him. (Reserving total judgement for when we find out he has 6 girlfriends at home and enjoys peeing outside his local watering hole )

FORT Newbie

As a thin woman, I find comments like Kristen's reference to 'skinny b*tches' EXTREMELY offensive, not to mention mean-spirited and ugly. When did it become ok to make derogatory comments about a person's weight when the person is NOT large. And when did 'skinny b*tch' become an acceptable term?

I can't tell you how many times I've had women I don't know approach me and say things like 'You are SO thin! I hate you...just kidding', or 'You are SO skinny!'. I know I'm not being complimented by these women- it makes me extremely uncomfortable. Am I supposed to apologize? And before I hear 'Boo hoo, poor you', I happen to have a thyroid disorder which makes me underweight. I am self-conscious about my body. Unsolicited (and unwelcome) comments like the above hurt. One doesn't have to be large to have a problem with one's self-image. And one doesn't have to have an illness that makes them underweight to feel uncomfortable by comments about being thin. Studies show that the majority of women in the U.S. have body image issues, regardless of their size.

If I approached a large woman that I didn't know and said 'You are SO fat! I hate you...just kidding', just imagine the response I'd get! Making unsolicited comments about a stranger's physical appearance is never a good idea. It's just rude.

I'm glad that obesity, one of the last 'acceptable' prejudices is being tackled. That said, taking back one's power and loving one's body does NOT have to involve putting others down with terms like 'skinny b*tch'. It's not funny or cute. It's not ok. It reeks of jealousy and hatred. It's hurtful, and again, it just makes the person making the insult look unattractive, like Kristen.
    Last edited by georgiab3; 07-29-2009 at 12:34 AM.

I watched this instead of the other MF fare offered up tonight. He has stayed true to form with this show and had many offerings shown in the start of this new different network train wreck.
    It's got to be love.

addison h.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiab3;3622023;
    As a thin woman, I find comments like Kristen's reference to 'skinny b*tches' EXTREMELY offensive, not to mention mean-spirited and ugly. When did it become ok to make derogatory comments about a person's weight when the person is NOT large. And when did 'skinny b*tch' become an acceptable term?

I can't tell you how many times I've had women I don't know approach me and say things like 'You are SO thin! I hate you...just kidding', or 'You are SO skinny!'. I know I'm not being complimented by these women- it makes me extremely uncomfortable. Am I supposed to apologize? And before I hear 'Boo hoo, poor you', I happen to have a thyroid disorder which makes me underweight. I am self-conscious about my body. Unsolicited (and unwelcome) comments like the above hurt. One doesn't have to be large to have a problem with one's self-image. And one doesn't have to have an illness that makes them underweight to feel uncomfortable by comments about being thin. Studies show that the majority of women in the U.S. have body image issues, regardless of their size.

If I approached a large woman that I didn't know and said 'You are SO fat! I hate you...just kidding', just imagine the response I'd get! Making unsolicited comments about a stranger's physical appearance is never a good idea. It's just rude.

I'm glad that obesity, one of the last 'acceptable' prejudices is being tackled. That said, taking back one's power and loving one's body does NOT have to involve putting others down with terms like 'skinny b*tch'. It's not funny or cute. It's not ok. It reeks of jealousy and hatred. It's hurtful, and again, it just makes the person making the insult look unattractive, like Kristen.
    Though I've never been underweight, I have been just about every size imaginable (literally from 2 to 20 and back to 6) and having experienced the way people look at you at every one of those weights I will say it's definitely worse on the heavy side. You just feel soooooooo completely invisible. (Which, at the time, was what I was hoping for, but that doesn't make it any less sad). I'm sorry you've struggled to and ITA with you that struggling with your image IS STRUGGLING WITH YOUR IMAGE - regardless of what size you happen to be. I think as far as the term "skinny b!t<h" is concerned it's hard because it's a term that's been embraced by women who LIKE to be considered "skinny b!t<hes" (there's even a book series titled that - all about how to become one) And believe me, as a size 2 college girl I definitely grabbed on to that attitude a few times. (And as a size 20 I definitely bought at least one of those books). I think after every thing I've seen (and everything I've been through) I've finally learned that we just can't judge ANYONE based on their looks. You NEVER know how they feel on the inside. But having said all that... it is harder for larger women. It just is.

One episode of that was definitely enough...MF should be put away for abuse...but then the networks buy it and we watch it. Not me; I'm reclaiming my summer - no more Michael Fleiss shows and no more boards for awhile...will miss you all.

I knew it was too good to be true that we would see a show with confident woman. The producers decided to find the most defeated women they can find and throw them a group pity party. I think most of these women should have signed up for the biggest loser. I don't feel that because of the weight, but because most of them seem so darn unhappy with it.

I know plenty of big beautiful, confident woman who date frequently and not just chubby guys. I am not sure why they felt the need to show us the weight of the contestants. I don't see them doing that on other dating shows? The world needs to know it is full of full bodied beautiful and confident women, not these unhappy never had a date depressed women they showcased tonight.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Man... can it be called a crime to steal from YOURSELF? That was like the SAME everything from the Bachelor, except adding 100 pounds to everybody, and using a really creepy Ring motif instead of Roses.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread