+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Tali

FORT Fogey

Re: Tali

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101;3690072;
    thanks for the reminder. hopefully there will be NO more muslim dislike messages.

There is prejudice no matter what. Jewish people get their share of it, too.
    Let us just say: no more dislikes based on a person's belief system. Now wouldn't that just solve all the world's problems!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickaylal;3686012;
    So you would want to raise kids with someone who has a totally different fundamental belief system than you? Not for me. Muslim and Christian historically have always been at odds. I would never encourage my kids to not believe in Christ. But hey thats just me. People can believe what they want, but for me personally, that is how I feel. Im not saying people who dont believe in Christ are not worth knowing. I just would not want to be married to someone who did not believe in him, nor do I know many Christians who would.
    Jesus was Jewish and thankfully, he believed in more tolerance than seen in some of these posts. I know many Christians married to Jews and they respect one anothers cultures and beliefs and the children that they raise are educated on their total heritage and proud of it.

If Tali and Luke are open to their differences and it is not an insurmountable obstacle for them, then that is wonderful. If not, then they will go their separate ways and have hopefully taught one another good things through their time spent together.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101;3690072;
    thanks for the reminder. hopefully there will be NO more muslim dislike messages.
    I haven't seen ANY "muslim dislike messages" at all. People however have stated that their faith (whatever it may be) would prevent them from marrying outside of their particular belief. Some mistake that for hatred or lack of respect for the faith of others. Not so. It simply means that to those of us who have a particular faith it makes life easier if we are married to someone who has the same or similar faith. I am a Christian but, I embrace all beliefs. My husband is Buddhist and I can tell you that it has sometimes put a strain on our marriage. NOT because I think he is wrong in his belief, or that he believes I am wrong in my belief but rather, we just have differing viewpoints on how some situations are dealt with. It would be a whole lot easier if one of us converted to the religion of choice of the other. That's all.
    (There ARE haters out there though... but I haven't seen them yet on this thread.)

old cow

Aaaaah the theological discussions; I can't take it anymore!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3690121;
    Aaaaah the theological discussions; I can't take it anymore!
    The whole "cultural differences" thang (read: different religions) was brought up on the show. It was obviously brought up BY the show which was evident in how Luke, Uncle Leo, Tali and Tali's aunt phrased it. People just commonly say "different religions" and move on in the conversation. It's not quite the normal way of conversing to continually tip toe around something and say "cultural differences".

How do you discuss the show at this point with the final three girls and a significant plot point being brought up (read: cultural differences) without bringing up the religious/cultural differences?

I just don't get how anyone could expect there to be an informed discussion about the current state of the show and leave that part at the door. That doesn't seem realistic to me.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by dansgrl;3690119;
    ...It simply means that to those of us who have a particular faith it makes life easier if we are married to someone who has the same or similar faith. I am a Christian but, I embrace all beliefs. My husband is Buddhist and I can tell you that it has sometimes put a strain on our marriage. NOT because I think he is wrong in his belief, or that he believes I am wrong in my belief but rather, we just have differing viewpoints on how some situations are dealt with. ...
    Honestly, that really doesn't have much to do with one's faith. My husband and I are both atheist, and we have the occasional rancorous disagreement on how to deal with a given situation. But we've been married for 22 happy years. My first husband was also an atheist - that marriage lasted 2 years (though we are still friends), and there were stunningly incompatible views on how to deal with things - enough to kill the marriage. And all this with a shared belief system.

ETA: Oh yeah, current husband is a vegetarian of long-standing. I love meat. Love it. There's a differing belief system that doesn't affection our relationship at all (except for finding a restaurant we both want to eat at).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3690216;
    Honestly, that really doesn't have much to do with one's faith. My husband and I are both atheist, and we have the occasional rancorous disagreement on how to deal with a given situation. But we've been married for 22 happy years. My first husband was also an atheist - that marriage lasted 2 years (though we are still friends), and there were stunningly incompatible views on how to deal with things - enough to kill the marriage. And all this with a shared belief system.

ETA: Oh yeah, current husband is a vegetarian of long-standing. I love meat. Love it. There's a differing belief system that doesn't affection our relationship at all (except for finding a restaurant we both want to eat at).
    Congrats on your marriage's longevity!
    While yes, we do have adverse viewpoints that have nothing to do with our different faiths, we definitely have some that do! Some of them have actually caused us to re-examine our relationship (a good & bad thing sometimes.) On the flip side of that was my first husband who was Christian but it really became about the only thing we had in common. So I totally see your point.

sdl

This show is so hypocritical. There is absolutely no depth to the conversations, the time spent together is minimal, and Luke is clearly guided by physical attraction.
    I agree with the person above that the "cultural differences" thing was invented by the producers to give Tali a story line.
    Luke doesn't give a rat's ass if she is Jewish. He just wants to make out, with all of them.

FORT Fogey

Based on the timeline of this show, and how fast it was filmed, there's not much in the way of meaningful conversation that we can be shown. Physical attraction and making out is all you can show in an hour show. I don't see a lot of depth in either Luke or any of the contestants except Tali. JMO.

Without having a clue what will happen on Tuesday's episode, I'm leaning more toward the F1 being Tali. I'm assuming most, if not all of us, also watch The Bachelor/ette. Tali's and Luke's clip from a bit back where she wandered away and they had the conversation about her coming in to this knowing he'd be dating others reminds me of Byron's TB season when Mary, his eventual F1, did something similar.
    Every time MF grins, somewhere in the world a unicorn dies.
    I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

+ Reply to Thread