+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Producers Log Online To Save "Mole"

Producers Log Online To Save "Mole"

Producers log online to save 'Mole'
    Stone, Newbill hope to stave off cancellation
    By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Sensing the impending demise of his reality franchise, "The Mole" exec producer Scott Stone isn't waiting for fans to generate a "Save Our Show" campaign -- he's launching one himself. Stone and fellow "The Mole" exec producer Clay Newbill have created SaveTheMole.com in an attempt to keep the well-reviewed -- but low rated -- competish from fading away for good.

"We still have a chance to show ABC how much people love the show by getting our ratings up for the last five episodes," Stone and Newbill wrote on the site. "If we don't, the show itself could be facing execution at the end of this season ... and this time it might really be fatal."

Of course, "The Mole" has already survived several near-fatal blows. Originally hosted by Anderson Cooper, the show aired twice in its original format, returned in 2003 and 2004 with celeb editions hosted by Ahmad Rashad. The competish then appeared dead ... but ABC, looking for strike-proof reality shows last season, decided to revive the show -- this time with host Jon Kelley.

The most recent installment of "The Mole" hasn't made much noise in the 18-49 demo, however.

According to the producers, "The very future of 'The Mole' hangs in the balance."
    Link

Evn
    FORT Regular

Re: Producers Log Online To Save "Mole"

Ummmm... I find this to be quite an odd reaction for a producer. Rather than spend time creating this campaign, why not put that effort towards tweaking the show, so it's not merely a carbon copy of the original seasons?

If you go to the contributions page (or something like that) there are a few videos from past contestants including Kate from Season 1! It was great to see her again, she was one of my favorite contestants from that season.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

I think part of the ratings problem is that everyone who watches it records it, to be able to pause, watch for clues, etc... but TIVO viewings don't count in ratings. This may hurt them.

It was also on in a crappy timeslot this year.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder;3134048;
    I think part of the ratings problem is that everyone who watches it records it, to be able to pause, watch for clues, etc... but TIVO viewings don't count in ratings. This may hurt them.

It was also on in a crappy timeslot this year.
    There are some technicalities to it, and lots of advertisers don't put as much weight in it since people tend to fast forward commercials when they have DVR, but DVR ratings are actually calculated in the ratings now.

I think the time slot and promotion hurt the show far more than the use of DVR did. I adored this show when it was on the first time around - both the original and celebrity versions. I was beyond excited when I heard it was returning. I set my DVR to make sure I could watch every week. I have yet to watch an episode of this season. It started out as not wanting to stay up so late, then got to the point of having too much catch-up. Finally, I gave up and cancelled it in my DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Evn;3133494;
    Ummmm... I find this to be quite an odd reaction for a producer. Rather than spend time creating this campaign, why not put that effort towards tweaking the show, so it's not merely a carbon copy of the original seasons?
    That's not the problem, I think.

A lot of it has to do with treatment by the network. I mean in theory The Amazing Race had some of the same hurdles to face as The Mole. Being very "high concept", as opposed to the brutally simple model of some other reality shows.

And sometimes a show--a good show--just can't catch the public imagination no matter WHAT you do.

Ideally, the producers should have been working all along to try and goad a smaller (cable) network to take a chance on The Mole, I think, but at this point even that kind of effort may be doomed.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Newbie

This is my first post here, but I'm a regular at the abc.com message board... I am sure you probably know about the producer's save the mole make a youtube video campaign. We aren't so sure it's going to work... So, my husband and I came up with an idea the other night... Following in the footsteps of Jericho (CBS) fans and Friday Night Lights (NBC), I make a petition to all fans to send a letter and lemonhead (to honor Paul Grassi) to the ABC headquarters. Below, I add my letter to ABC as an example:

ABC Headquarters

Re: Save The Mole!

77 W. 66th St. 3rd Floor

New York, NY 10023-6298

To ABC Executives:

I have watched every season of The Mole, and I believe it is the premier example of intelligent television. It requires so much more strategy than other reality shows out there right now.

I was so excited to see that you were bringing The Mole back for another season. But now that the season is almost over, I know of lots of people that would feel it’s “sour” to not renew it for another season.

It would be beneficial if it was put on at an earlier time slot, where families can watch it together. As a family-friendly station, I would believe that you would want to have something that parents and their children would be able to watch as a family. It is so much more “pure” than many of the other shows that are on at 8 PM. I’ll give you an example – Big Brother on CBS. It is extremely raunchy, and they put that show on at 8 PM.

I promise that I would get 5 more people to watch The Mole if you renew. Also, if you allow 1 sponsor every week put some kind of clue in one of their ads run during the episode, the fans will be forced to watch the advertisements, especially in the day and age of Tivo and DVR.

Consider this an avid fan of throwing lemons at you if you don’t renew The Mole for another season. You know what they say when life gives you lemons? You make lemonheads and renew another season of The Mole!

Avid fan of The Mole,

SAVE THE MOLE!

Thanks for reading, and, if you want to really Save The Mole, please do your part...

Molefan18 from abc.com
    Last edited by abcmolefan18; 08-03-2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: correct formatting

FORT Newbie

An Email Campaign to Save The Mole

Over on the abc board, dangerousbreed (aka Jim from season 1) has started an email ABC campaign because he knows how we all lead busy lives. We have compiled a list of email addresses for all to email their wishes to keep The Mole on the air:
    stephen.mcpherson@abc.com
    anne.sweeney@abc.com
    anne.x.sweeney@abc.com
    anne.sweeney@disney.com
    and their assistant zenia.mucha@disney.com

We have emailed our thoughts on why we believe they should keep The Mole and what they could do to create more buzz for it...

Send your emails. We have been email-bombing them all day today...

Thanks for the info molefan!
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fogey

Re: An Email Campaign to Save The Mole

Quote Originally Posted by abcmolefan18;3157850;
    Over on the abc board, dangerousbreed (aka Jim from season 1) has started an email ABC campaign because he knows how we all lead busy lives. We have compiled a list of email addresses for all to email their wishes to keep The Mole on the air:
    stephen.mcpherson@abc.com
    anne.sweeney@abc.com
    anne.x.sweeney@abc.com
    anne.sweeney@disney.com
    and their assistant zenia.mucha@disney.com

We have emailed our thoughts on why we believe they should keep The Mole and what they could do to create more buzz for it...

Send your emails. We have been email-bombing them all day today...
    Thanks, I did.

+ Reply to Thread