+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "How does a Mole act?"

"How does a Mole act?"

Since we seemed to talk about this so much on the episode thread, I think it deserves its own topic.

Let's try and define how a Mole acts. And of course, why.

Inevitably this will probably include a lot of talk about general game strategy, since a lot of players play their game trying to appear Mole-like.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Re: "How does a Mole act?"

The mole does not want to be a leader or the outcast--at least early on because he does not want to stand out.
    He wants to blend in well with the others, this way little to no attention is shed his way. Being sociable is very important and trying to keep his finger in every pie to be "in the know" is also important, but never to the point of standing out.
    It is important to have a good sense of the other players, how to effectively plant seeds and paranoia without having those things lead back to yourself.
    It's great if the mole can form a coalition with another person and develop a good working relationship with them. This way you have someone else working with you(but not knowing you are the mole) and you can use them to run interference for yourself while at the same time use them to get their take on how others are thinking.

I've been wondering if its better to appear bumbling, or if conversely a confident person is less suspicious.

I'm a bit vague in my memory of Season 1's Kathryn, but Season 2's Bill fell in an interesting place in the middle. I don't think he ever denied he came from a background that would be perfect for a Mole, and as a former high ranked military man and surgeon he had to reek of confidence, but at the same time I think his age helped him appear more helpless than he was, and thus diverted some suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3037123;
    I've been wondering if its better to appear bumbling, or if conversely a confident person is less suspicious.

I'm a bit vague in my memory of Season 1's Kathryn, but Season 2's Bill fell in an interesting place in the middle. I don't think he ever denied he came from a background that would be perfect for a Mole, and as a former high ranked military man and surgeon he had to reek of confidence, but at the same time I think his age helped him appear more helpless than he was, and thus diverted some suspicion.
    I think you have to go with what works best with your own personality.
    With me, if I were good at something I could see acting confident in that particular situation and if it were conversely something I was clumsy or not adept at--I would let that side of me show too.
    I played quite a few online mole games years ago when it was the rage and was the mole several times.
    What always worked best for me is playing myself as much as possible. There are times when you are so nervous--and I was hiding behind my computer--so I can only imagine what it would be like living the Mole. To defray my nerves, it was always best for me to take my own personality and adjust it accordingly.
    If people sense you are faking something, it draws attention and once attention is drawn--sometimes it can be like trying to get out of a pitbulls jaws--impossible and miserable.

I think it's easier for the mole to sabotage early in the competition and I would expect the mole to be focusing on sabotage at this stage of the game. Also, there are probably a few over-strategizers willing to bumble around (that bit on the beach comes to mind) making the mole's job even easier.

The mole is probably acting pretty mellow right now. I don't think a flamboyant mole would go far, or a too-loud mole. I admit it's been so long since I watched this show I can't really remember details of what other moles did anymore.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

In the beginning, the mole can kind of sit back and watch the "circus" and how everyone is jockeying for position.
    There are so many people trying to look moleish, that it can make the mole's job easy in the beginning. This is a great time to take advantage and cast doubt on these players.
    At the same time, the mole gets a great opportunity to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the other players and if someone might make a good coalition partner.
    It's easier to get away with sabatage in the beginning, but if you can make another person be the one to sabatage without him even realizing it, that's even better.

Quote Originally Posted by KashatheDiva;3037174;
    In the beginning, the mole can kind of sit back and watch the "circus" and how everyone is jockeying for position.
    There are so many people trying to look moleish, that it can make the mole's job easy in the beginning. This is a great time to take advantage and cast doubt on these players.
    At the same time, the mole gets a great opportunity to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the other players and if someone might make a good coalition partner.
    It's easier to get away with sabatage in the beginning, but if you can make another person be the one to sabatage without him even realizing it, that's even better.
    I completely agree with this. There will be enough people trying to mislead at the beginning, so the Mole can divert attention by trying to pull in money for the pot. That creates the impression that the Mole is not the Mole. Once 2-3 people have been executed and the Mole has established an early reputation as a team player, s/he can start sabotaging in earnest. Depending on when the final contestants figure it out, s/he may have to pull back on the sabotage towards the end. So the middle episodes offer the best opportunities for sabotage.
    Bring on The Mole!

Rewatching Season 1 on YT in bits and pieces. Kathryn, near the beginning, very definitely didn't/couldn't do much for the first few episodes. The most Moley thing, early on, was her trying to delay her party returning in the Cartier watch challenge by insisting they call other watchmakers.

Of course, already, even that early in the franchise, she was being assisted by two other players deliberately acting Moley (Steven and Jim, in the Kidnapping challenge, who jointly made Steven look super-Moley when Jim passed the information about the helicopter noise to him over the phone, and Steven started alluding to a helicopter he couldn't possibly be hearing).

Season 2 was my favorite. Bill's mole behavior was so subtle that players often didn't even realize when they'd been had by the mole. Other than the treading water fiasco in the Romeo and Juliet game most of his sabotages were very low key.
    He had a very trustworthy look about him and infact was voted most trusted by players in episode 1. What better cover can a mole have than having the trust of the players before the game even begins? His background also was a great help in his game play...leadership qualities as a ret. admiral and a trusted surgeon.
    Mole behavior is many times more about what he/she doesn't do than what they do.
    I tend to look at the ones not calling undo attention to themselves, the ones just trying to go with the flow.

Dear friend-Always Remembered,Sorely Missed

I think a really smart and bold move would be to act exactly the opposite of what everyone expects. Like someone who looks like they're blatantly trying to sabotage, so much so that it seems like they're an actual contestant pretending to be the Mole. I don't know if this would be the season to do so since it's been off air for so long. If there's another season after this, I think that would be a very clever move. It seems like everyone's beginning to catch on that the Mole stays hidden at the beginning and does subtle things to sabotage. Like remember when Angie Everheart said to Corbin, "I hope you vote for me, Corbin, I really do!" That's bold.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast