+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark - Season 5

Mark - Season 5

Mark

Mukwonago, WI
    Education: B.A., University of Wisconsin, Whitewater

Mark is an extremely competitive high school soccer coach and world history teacher. He plays to win and has no tolerance for whiners. He is a huge fan of The Mole, having seen all the previous seasons. Mark will be very intense and focused about playing the game. His only weakness is his family. Mark and his wife struggled financially when they first married. In order to make life easier Mark put himself through college while working 2 jobs. He can be very emotional about his wife of 18 years and his three children, who he considers his life. Today with another baby on the way, both he and his wife continue to work 2 jobs. Mark says he thrives on competition and being challenged. He says his IQ is 143. His strategy is to figure out an "end game", where he foresees the end of the most advantageous route for himself and does everything in his power to manipulate things towards that result.
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

Re: Mark - Season 5

143 IQ is pretty darn high. I wonder how inflated that self-report is. If at all. It seems like he's going to be a pretty stubborn person to work with. But I think he'll also go far.

LG.

He's two years older than my brother and went to the same college. Hmm, I wonder if they ever met. I doubt it, as my brother majored in beer studies.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;3018524;
    He's two years older than my brother and went to the same college. Hmm, I wonder if they ever met. I doubt it, as my brother majored in beer studies.
    I went to UW Madison and had to at this comment. SO true!

Oh boy. A fellow UW-Whitewater Alumni. Of course he probably graduated 10 years before I did.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

He's my 2nd favorite after Craig! Hopefully he won't disappoint!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

The PI he had about his wife and himself working so hard to make ends meet really drew empathy from the audience and probably will with the other players.
    What a perfect way to deflect suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by KashatheDiva;3036191;
    The PI he had about his wife and himself working so hard to make ends meet really drew empathy from the audience and probably will with the other players.
    What a perfect way to deflect suspicion.

My husband said pretty much the same thing. He said "fake tears! He's the mole!"

But 5 minutes earlier he thought Clay was the mole, & before that he thought Bobby was the mole, lol.
    Last edited by holly71; 06-04-2008 at 10:16 AM.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I agree. I mentioned it before, but what interested me was his behavior when finding out he was safe; seemed a bit suspicious to me. He betrayed no sign of nervousness beforehand that I could tell, but when he found out he was safe, his exuberance seemed almost an act. Smart, competitive guy who may be able to inspire empathy and get people to trust him-- he'd be good! He should be interesting to watch, if nothing else.

Deutsch Mark

This post from michele0214 on the ABC boards intrigued me:

"In the Robinson Crusoe game when the teams were bringing items to the appraisers someone was holding what looked like a box. The camera zoomed in very quicky on the so called box. I freezed the pictured and noticed it said "Trinks Brunsviga". I googled this and found out that it was a GERMAN company that made old calculators. In the beginning of the show when Jon Kelley was talking about the falls he mentioned that "GERMAN tourists fell to their death at the falls". Hmm I think there is definately a tie in somewhere!"

The German element was even puntuated by Jon Kelley saying the tourists went "KAPUT!"

So, being a person who believes Mark (Lambrecht) is the Mole, I did a search on his last name on Ancestry.com and found this out - Lambrecht is a staunch German surname with 184 of the 284 instances of Lambrecht's immigrating to America (using public records as the source) coming from Germany. The other possibilities are Preussen (53), DenMark (18), Russia (14), Mecklenburg (9) and Bavaria (6).

Apparently in Chile, the German connection is strong, particularly in the south, where in the mid-1800's a mass immigration occurred. Then of course, Argentina was notoriously a place where the high level Nazi's went to hide out from the Allies after WWII. So, we might see more of this German connection as time goes by.

I know that there is a precedent from the Mole producers to make a pun (or some such clever wordplay) on a person's name (eg Anderson serving MickeyD's to the Mole2 players for dinner in reference to Bill "McDaniels") so it suddenly dawned on me that maybe this is a play on Mark's name - German = Deutsch + Mark = Deutsch Mark! (which, by the way, went "kaput" itself in 1999 when Germany started using the Euro as it's currency.)

The challenge was inspired by German tourists going over the falls...and Mark is a tourist (of German ancestry) who also went over the falls grabbing at some currency.

It seems to fit. Too bad we have to wait 9 more episodes to find out for sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast