+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kathy Griffin Dishes on 'Celebrity Mole'

Kathy Griffin Dishes on 'Celebrity Mole'

Kathy Griffin Dishes on 'Celebrity Mole'
    Mon, Jan 6, 2003 11:17 PM PDT

by Rick Porter
    Zap2it, TV News

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Kathy Griffin admits she didn't know quite what she was getting into when she signed on for ABC's "Celebrity Mole: Hawaii."

"I definitely thought it would be like fakey 'Celebrity Mole,' with, like, bulls**t games," the comedian and actress ("Suddenly Susan") says. "I didn't know we'd be jumping off cliffs."

But she was, as were six other (reasonably) well-known faces -- Stephen Baldwin, Corbin Bernsen, Michael Boatman, Kim Coles, Frederique van der Wal and Erik von Detten -- in an abbreviated version of the network's survival game show. The six-episode celebrity edition premieres at 10 p.m. ET Wednesday (Jan. 8).

It's not that the show's producers misled her in anyway. It's just that Griffin, an avowed fan of reality TV who briefly hosted an MTV talk show about the genre, had seen enough "celebrity" editions of other game and reality shows to think she was in for an easy time.

"It was my wrong assumption that we were going to have this cushy, sweet setup," she says. "Then I got there, and I was like 'Wait. What's with the real 'Mole'? This is the real 'Mole.' ... I kept asking for a pie-eating contest. ... It was way harder than I thought."

Griffin has irked some of her fellow contestants because she has mockingly badmouthed the show in the media and noted that none of the players is exactly setting Hollywood on fire at the moment.

"I'm actually teasing. But here's the thing: Everyone else hates me because I keep saying it's the D-list goes to town, and they're all furious about that," she says. "One of them called and yelled at me because of something I said on [Howard Stern's radio show]. I said 'Honey, none of us thought this was Shakespeare in the Park when we signed up.' "

Griffin says she would "never, never" appear on another reality show. But she enjoyed her time in Hawaii -- especially the fact that the players were allowed to keep whatever money they won.

"A D-list celebrity like myself, I need that money," she says. "Me and Darva and Coolio and that other crowd I run with, we need that cash. If I have one more bad pilot season, I'm gonna do snuff films."
    Sounds like she's having a lot of fun with her quasi-celebrity.

"A D-list celebrity like myself, I need that money," she says. "Me and Darva and Coolio and that other crowd I run with, we need that cash. If I have one more bad pilot season, I'm gonna do snuff films."

I knew she wouldn't be able to keep quiet!

I am betting at some point during the series run, whether she is the mole or not, she will yell "I AM THE MOLE".
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

At least she's telling it like it is.

None of the contestants are exactly riding high in their careers.
    "That's Numberwang!"

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Agreed, Fluff. As I recall:

Bersen: described as appearing in Major League and "LA Law." Major League came out in 1989!

Coles: One of the things them mentioned for her was In Living Color, which ran from 1990-1994.

Baldwin: The Usual Suspects and The Flintstones, Viva Rockvegas. Rockvegas was only 2000, but it was a dog, and while Suspects is one of my favorite films, it came out in 1994.

I don't know how long it's been since Frederique was in the VS catelog (it's banned from my house, but that's another story ), but I'm willing to bet it's been a few years.

Von Detten is young. I've never seen the kid. Perhaps he's on the way up.

Boatman: Spin City and Arliss. Love him in both shows. Both shows have been cancelled. What a rip.

At least Griffin is willing to admit where they all are in their lives. I think she is very funny.

I think Michael Boatman is probably the most "working" person in the group, and it's a shame that both of his series' got cancelled in the same season. But, both had long runs, which is great. I'm sure he'll work again in series-TV soon.

I think Boatman is fortunate not to be too instantly recognisable as he was in two successful series.
    I agree John, he'll get another tv gig soon.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread