+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nobody seems to know, but celebrity 'Mole' is fun

Nobody seems to know, but celebrity 'Mole' is fun

From the Palm Beach Post:

Nobody seems to know, but celebrity 'Mole' is fun

By Kevin D. Thompson, Palm Beach Post TV Critic
    Monday, January 6, 2003

The Mole is the Rodney Dangerfield of reality shows.

It gets no respect.

Survivor, while not as popular as it once was, still generates considerable watercooler buzz. Over 18 million viewers watched the first edition of The Bachelor. MTV's Real World has been on the air for, like, 35 years. Fear Factor continues to capture a sizable audience, as does The Amazing Race.

No one, it seems, cares about The Mole -- not even its own network. ABC yanked it after only two episodes the last time around.

ABC's engaging and clever reality series deserves more respect -- and viewers. Let's hope it'll get both when Celebrity Mole Hawaii debuts Wednesday (10 p.m., ABC).

While CBS has kicked around the idea of airing a celebrity Survivor installment for months, ABC beat them to it. Six out-of-work, C-list actors (Stephen Baldwin; Corbin Bernsen; Michael Boatman; Kim Coles; Kathy Griffin, Erik von Detten) and one hot supermodel (Frederique) participate in wacky games (jumping off cliffs, herding sheep) while also trying to figure out who among them is The Mole.

The Mole, you see, is a double agent planted by the producers to sabotage the group's efforts to win dough. This time it's up to $250,000. At the end of each episode, the contestants take a 10-question quiz about The Mole's identity. The person who knows the least is "executed."

That's network-speak for, "Time to go home, look for another audition."

In Wednesday's opener, the acid-tongued Griffin (Suddenly Susan) is a standout and fires hilarious one-liners at will.

Bernsen is clearly the Robert Conrad of the bunch. Remember Mr. Macho Man's ultra-competitive nature on those old celebrity Superstars specials on ABC? It's a hoot watching the one-time L.A. Law stud get visibly annoyed with Coles during a game of sheep blackjack.

Don't ask. You have to watch.

And it's painfully apparent that Baldwin -- the least attractive and talented Baldwin brother -- is just tickled to be working. The guy mugs for the cameras at every turn and isn't shy to show that his gut is nearly as big as big bro Alec's.

What's missing this time, however, is the droll Anderson Cooper, who's now spending his time with Paula Zahn in the mornings on CNN. The super cool Cooper's icy stares and sly smiles are sorely missed.

Stepping in as host is Ahmad Rashad, who never met a butt he didn't love to kiss.

Rashad aside, Celebrity Mole Hawaii remains fun. Sure, the clues to the Mole's identity are more convoluted than the plot in a James Bond movie. But, so what?

A reality show that entertains while making you think is certainly worth watching.

kevin_thompson@pbpost.com

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I love The Mole, but I just can't seem to get interested in this celebrity version at all...

I don't like celebrity shows, and I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch this even though I really think The Mole (with "normal people" contestants is one of the most clever shows on TV)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

What's missing this time, however, is the droll Anderson Cooper, who's now spending his time with Paula Zahn in the mornings on CNN. The super cool Cooper's icy stares and sly smiles are sorely missed.
    Maybe this is the reason I'm having trouble.
    Anderson....come back!!!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

I'm going to try this show. I lost interest in The Mole 2, but really enjoyed the first Mole.

I think it could be fun. I was never a big Cooper fan, I'm afraid to admit publicly. Gimme a Keoghan over Cooper any day.

I love Keoghan too! I'd have a hard time picking just one if we ever had to vote or anything.

I REALLY want to be interested in it...really! There's nothing else on to watch these days!

I just saw a commercial for CMH and was laughing so hard. It made me want to watch it so much more than I wanted to yesterday. Just a few more commercials and I will be begging to see this one. I hope it is as good as I think it will be.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar
    Well, I'm another Anderson Cooper fan. I do think he will be sorely missed. Of course, I will be watching!

I lost interest in The Mole 2 when it became so obvious that Bill was the Mole.

I'm looking forward to a new season of it with "real" people though rather than the celebrity version.
    I'll still watch the celebs though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread