+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celebrity Mole may be delayed by fire

Celebrity Mole may be delayed by fire

From Zap2it.com:

Fire Damages Hollywood Studio
    Tue, Dec 17, 2002 06:12 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - An early morning fire damaged a Hollywood production facility Tuesday, possibly imperiling footage from an upcoming ABC reality series.

The fire started shortly after midnight Tuesday (Dec. 17) at the Hollywood Center Studios. No one was hurt.

Damage was confined to a 30,000-square-foot building that sits outside the main gates of the facility. Along with the building itself, computers, editing equipment and film and videotape footage were damaged, according to a report by CBS' Los Angeles affiliate.

Among the damaged tapes was footage from "Celebrity Mole: Hawaii," a version of the ABC reality series scheduled to premiere Wednesday, Jan. 8. Stone Stanley Productions, which produces the show, has offices at the studio.

In a statement, the company says it's still assessing the damage and is "doing everything in our power to keep the show on schedule."

The cause of the fire hasn't been determined yet.

cause of the fire... obviously the mole

Hopefully everything will work out ok. I wonder what they would do if critical parts were burned. I guess since some of these guys are actors, they could re-shoot
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Ugh, this is a blow for the show in general.
    After thaving the second series ripped from the schedules and left on the shelf for months, the producers were probably hoping a celebrity version would fuel interest in the show.
    "That's Numberwang!"

LG.
    this sucks. I'm surprised they hadn't edited it yet, though, as it is scheduled to premier in less than a month. We may NEVER FIND OUT who the Mole really is, yeah right.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

JR.
    Hmmm, maybe it turned out to be a dud and they torched it themselves.

The delay is discouraging. I am glad that no one was hurt in the fire. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Blaze May Put 'Mole' in the Hole
    Wed Dec 18, 2:03 AM ET
    By Michael Schneider

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - An early Tuesday studio fire has jeopardized all but the premiere episode of ABC's upcoming reality series "Celebrity Mole."

Executives at producer Stone Stanley Entertainment said they should know Wednesday how much of the production can be saved. It debuts Jan. 8.

The production bay at Hollywood Center Studios where "Celebrity Mole" was being edited got hit by severe water damage from firefighters battling the blaze, which affected the back half of a two-story building on the lot.

Stone Stanley principal Scott Stone, who lives close to the studio, managed to arrive early Tuesday, soon after firefighters had put out the blaze. Stone and his staff rescued hard drives and 2,500 tapes that contained raw footage from the recent "Celebrity Mole" production in Hawaii.

Those tapes were drying on a soundstage Tuesday afternoon.

"A good third of the tapes were either underwater or severely damaged," Stone said. "The hard part now is the triage of getting tapes appraised and getting a new facility set up."

Still, Stone and partner David Stanley were hopeful that the footage could be salvaged.

"We have told ABC that our intention is to meet our Jan. 8 premiere," Stone said.

The cause of the blaze -- which began shortly after midnight Tuesday -- was under investigation.

"Celebrity Mole" Roast

Thu Dec 19, 4:30 PM ET
    By Lia Haberman

A studio fire could sabotage the Mole's plans to surface next month.

Footage of ABC's upcoming reality series Celebrity Mole: Hawaii got drenched after firefighters doused a blaze raging above the offices of the show's production company, Stone Stanley Entertainment.

This may throw a Mole-worthy twist into the show's proposed January 8 premiere.

"We're still deep in the process of assessing the tapes and computer hard drives," said Stone Stanley president Scott Stone, whose company also produces the WB's Popstars. "The good news is episode one was in pretty good shape."

Despite extensive water damage to the videotapes, Stone insists the show will be ready to air in three weeks. "We're committed to hitting our airdate and have assured ABC we're going to do whatever we have to."

ABC is also optimistic the series will air as scheduled.

"It is on track, through the flames," said an ABC spokeswoman. "We're moving forward as planned with the January 8 premiere."

Celebrity Mole, hosted by sportscaster Ahmad Rashad, features seven pseudo celebs competing to unearth the group's saboteur. The reality series, shot over the course of 12 days on Hawaii's Big Island, stars L.A. Law's Corbin Bernsen, Baldwin baby brother Stephen, Living Single's Kim Coles, model Frederique, comedian Kathy Griffin, Spin City's Michael Boatman and star of the recently axed Dinotopia series Erik von Detten. (The stars roughed it at the luxurious Orchid at Mauna Lani Hotel in Kona during the games.)

Stone said the fire broke out around 1 a.m. on the second floor of the Hollywood Center Studios. "What we got was two hours worth of fire water drenching our editing facility," he said.

The cause of the blaze is still being investigated.

Meeting the January 8 airdate will be difficult but not impossible, insists Stone. "We have about 100 hours of tape for every episode, so if a scene is missing that's not crucial to the storyline we should be able to cut around it," he said.

Producers have reassured their celebrity contestants that they still plan to go ahead with the wrap-up reunion episode, which will be shot on location mid-January.

If the tapes can't be rescued, the Alphabet net could find itself scrambling for programming. ABC recently axed MDs and planned to have the six-episode Celebrity special to fill the vacated Wednesday-night slot. Celebrity Mole is supposed to serve as a lead-in to spinoff series The Bachelorette.

The celebs ensconsed in Hawaii are not to be confused with ABC's other suffering stars in the reality series, I'm a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! The Stateside version of the successful British hit will star masochistic entertainers desperate for publicity. Celebs are stranded in a remote location, fed meager rations even by Hollywood standards, and every miserable moment is taped for starstruck viewers to enjoy.

Fortunately, for the celebs' sakes, that show hasn't begun production yet.

Hopefully they will be able to get the show on air as scheduled.

Uh yeah Scott, great news that episode one is in good shape :rolleyes
    They can't just show episode one and leave us hanging. Hmmm, perhaps they can, it's par for the course with ABC.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think it's a little strange - each news article that comes out has worse and worse news. I think they're working on the easy let-down personally.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast