+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not playing for Charity?

Not playing for Charity?

This is the thing that confused me from last season. They are not playing for charity are they? Every other 'celebrity' show, celebrity Jeopardy, Weakest Link, Wheel of Fortune etc they announce their charity. Here, are they playing for themselves? It's not like any of them need the extra moolah, they may be B or C celebrities, but still make more than many of us do.

I have to admit though, I kind of like the non-altruistic play a bit better, these guys are serious! I just wish others could benefit, ya' know? Gotta get someone to play for the SAve a Penny campaign!

Just because they are 'celebrities' I dont see why if they go on a gameshow they have to give to a charity.

I am sure some of them are 'well off' but there is a reason why Kathy Griffin called it "celebrity" mole, with quotes. heh
    ...who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men...

Personally, I like the idea of the "celebrities" playing for themselves instead of charity. If they were playing for charity, they would be less candid or perhaps less serious about the game.

for The Mole, "celebrity" or not!

FORT Fan
    Why shouldn't they try and make some money? Lots of these so-called celebrities haven't made money for quite some time.

Why do we think b rated celebrities should give everything to charity? Let them decide how much they'll donate. Plus, if they're doing it for their own interest I bet they'll take the game a lot more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkinlady
    Why shouldn't they try and make some money? Lots of these so-called celebrities haven't made money for quite some time.

Why do we think b rated celebrities should give everything to charity? Let them decide how much they'll donate. Plus, if they're doing it for their own interest I bet they'll take the game a lot more serious.
    I basically agree with the celebrities being allowed to choose what they do with their winnings. However, as a former member of SAG, I think these celebrities have to be paid at least union scale for their appearances, unless the producers have made a special agreement with the unions for this as a charity show. I tend to doubt this since the entertainment unions are very strong and unlikely to allow tv appearances without payment.

Did anyone WATCH Celebrity Millionaire or Celebrity Weakest Link? The contestants, for the most part, goof off for 80% of the show, until the very end when it gets semi-serious. I hate that. This is MUCH better, as they are seeminly serious from day one. The Mole would kind of be a drag if they weren't taking it seriously - it's just not that kind of show.

I think it's fine that they aren't playing for a charity, they have to work too. I'm sure this was time comsuming, it's not like dropping in for an afternoon like a game show.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Newbie
    I seem to remember a tidbit from last season about how before the show aired, the celebrities were to donate their winnings to charity. Then Kathy Griffin convinced them that it would make a better show if the money went to the celebrities.
    I imagine that some of the celebrities would still donate the money, but at leat now they have the choice. I agree that it makes for better playing.

FORT Fan
    If they were playing for charity, then the mole would be taking money away from charity...the premise of the show sort of makes it impossible to be playing for charity.
    "It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast