+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: MasterChef Junior - News & Speculation

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: MasterChef Junior

Alexander was on Wendy Williams yesterday. The only thing she got to taste that he made was a "sauce" for his steak; nothing else was ready to be sampled. She said it was good.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I thought Jack clearly had a F2 dish and that he didn't make it because he wasn't who the judges wanted in F2. He's so young, I hope he understands why things like that happen.

Would the soft-boiled eggs have been less overcooked (less likely to continue to cook) if they had plunged them into cold water immediately afterwards? I'm still bothered by that challenge.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I thought Jack clearly had a F2 dish and that he didn't make it because he wasn't who the judges wanted in F2. He's so young, I hope he understands why things like that happen.

Would the soft-boiled eggs have been less overcooked (less likely to continue to cook) if they had plunged them into cold water immediately afterwards? I'm still bothered by that challenge.
    We said the same thing about cold water, because they just kept on cooking
    Ellen likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Rats I wanted Jack and Dara in the finale; at least I got half my wish.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I make a perfect soft boiled egg frequently and I boil it for 7 minutes. I was baffled that their 3 and 4 minute eggs were overdone. You are right, they continued to cook without plunging them into cold. Those eggs should have been underdone with that timing had they been opened immediately.

A Dara/Alexander finale was no surprise; we saw that coming in the very first few challenges. Jack's dish looked dry; it was crying for sauce. A boned chicken breast is never stellar, no matter how well it is cooked. We didn't hear the judges say that because it would have been a dead give away that he would not move on. I think they made the right choice not only for the chicken dish in front of them but overall performance.

I am rooting for Dara. I love this kid.

This show is excellent; it will see a second season for sure. Eliminate the restaurant challenge and it is perfect.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This non-cook has always heard that the bone-in chicken breast is more flavorful and moister. I am not a fan not white meat; it gets stuck in my throat and gags me. The only time I've had chicken breast that I thought was good was when it was sealed in foil and cooked for an HOUR at 350. Sauce nor gravy have ever made white meat better, for me. Interestingly enough, that chicken in the foil was boneless. How could anything so simple be so good???
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    This non-cook has always heard that the bone-in chicken breast is more flavorful and moister. I am not a fan not white meat; it gets stuck in my throat and gags me. The only time I've had chicken breast that I thought was good was when it was sealed in foil and cooked for an HOUR at 350. Sauce nor gravy have ever made white meat better, for me. Interestingly enough, that chicken in the foil was boneless. How could anything so simple be so good???
    I never eat white meat chicken or turkey either. It is dry and tasteless. Jack made an error in choosing that for himself. I have yet to hear a chef extoll the virtues of a chicken breast. That would have been good to give to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I make a perfect soft boiled egg frequently and I boil it for 7 minutes.
    Depends on a lot of factors. What size of egg? Is the water already boiling or room temperature? Is the egg room temperature? My mom made me perfect soft-boiled eggs for years. I'm content to make myself hard-boiled eggs.

FORT Fogey

Depends on a lot of factors. What size of egg? Is the water already boiling or room temperature? Is the egg room temperature? My mom made me perfect soft-boiled eggs for years. I'm content to make myself hard-boiled eggs.
    Cold, x large egg dropped into boiling water.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I never eat white meat chicken or turkey either. It is dry and tasteless. Jack made an error in choosing that for himself. I have yet to hear a chef extoll the virtues of a chicken breast. That would have been good to give to someone else.
    Me too, but I have had flattened, breaded cutlets that only take a couple of minutes on each side and they when done they are not dry. Also when you get a chicken salad at a fast food restaurant they poach the white meat so it is moist and flavorful.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread