+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 228
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: MasterChef Junior - News & Speculation

  1. #131
    FORT Fogey Photobabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Too far from the beach
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: MasterChef Junior

    As always, a fun episode to watch. Watching the adult chefs skipping behind Sarah was priceless. I suspect the kids had a lesson in making sponge cake before this challenge. Why else would they all have chosen sponge cake for their 3 layer cake? Quite a few of those cakes definitely looked like they were made by kids, but the top cakes were really nice.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

  2. #132
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: MasterChef Junior

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Really thought that Sophia and Alexander should have gone home. Yes, I believe this is a case where the producers stepped in and saved Alexander. The entire point of a competition show like this is it supposed to be based on that day's challenge not what you have done and your possible future potential.

    Luv'ed that Gordon stepped in and helped Sophia redo her batter.

    Sarah - these kids are scary how they strategize still baking is a chief's Achilles heel and it was nicely used in this episode. So what does this teach cooks/chiefs? Have a least one go to dessert recipe that is not panna cotta.
    I went back and looked again. The two who left and Alex all had very dense sponge cake. Alex's filling and frosting was better than theirs. I think it was a fair elimination.

    Photo, I think they all were given the recipe for sponge cake, probably because it bakes more quickly than others.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 10-19-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Photobabe likes this.

  3. #133
    Unofficial Nomster Rembrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: MasterChef Junior

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Really thought that Sophia and Alexander should have gone home. Yes, I believe this is a case where the producers stepped in and saved Alexander. The entire point of a competition show like this is it supposed to be based on that day's challenge not what you have done and your possible future potential.

    Luv'ed that Gordon stepped in and helped Sophia redo her batter.

    Sarah - these kids are scary how they strategize still baking is a chief's Achilles heel and it was nicely used in this episode. So what does this teach cooks/chiefs? Have a least one go to dessert recipe that is not panna cotta.
    I do agree with you that they went all the way to save Alexander despite his clearly having the worst cake of the lot. The judges have stated in the adult seasons a couple of times that they don't judge you based on everything you've done in the competition, they judge you based on what you present to them right then and there. They contradict themselves a lot, or like I figure, they show a lot of favoritism. You could even see it in the Mystery Box challenge, Gordon told Alexander "Can't wait to taste it" while Alexander was cooking. Isn't that a pretty clear sign they already wanted him in the Top 3 right there?

    It was a big bummer losing Kaylen, she's always been so sweet. How she's always happy even if she doesn't win, and how supportive she is to everyone, especially how she was comforting a crying Alexander last night. At least my other favorite, Dara, is still in there. It was nice to see how, after her failed souffle in the first challenge, she bounced back strong in the second challenge.

    What I'm disliking about this show, though, is having double eliminations in every episode. We barely got to meet Tommy and Molly, Roen got eliminated after not saying much, now the same with Sofia. That and the continued use of immunities. I like advantages on cooking competitions like this, but I don't like immunity.

  4. #134
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,391

    Re: MasterChef Junior

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I went back and looked again. The two who left and Alex all had very dense sponge cake. Alex's filling and frosting was better than theirs. I think it was a fair elimination.

    Photo, I think they all were given the recipe for sponge cake, probably because it bakes more quickly than others.

    I think that sponge is what Gordon calls the cake it being a cooking term:

    Sponge cake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Sponge cake is a cake based on flour (usually wheat flour), sugar, and eggs, sometimes leavened with baking powder which has a firm, yet well aerated structure, similar to a sea sponge. A sponge cake may be produced by either the batter method, or the foam method.

    Typically the batter method in the U.S. is known as a butter or pound cake while in the U.K. it is known as Madeira cake or Victoria sponge cake. Using the foam method a cake may simply be known as a sponge cake or in the U.K. occasionally whisked sponge, these forms of cake are common in Europe especially in French patisserie.
    Also if they were given the recipe why did Sophia blow it so badly? After all Gordon came and asked if she did it a certain way, combining the eggs, butter and sugar first before adding the flour. Sophia said she did it backwards. Perhaps being more familiar with making a cake with a mix where you do add the eggs, butter and milk to the already prepared cake mix.

    A Victoria sponge is made using one of two methods.[11] The traditional method involves creaming caster sugar with fat (usually butter), mixing thoroughly with beaten egg, then folding flour and raising agent into the mixture. The modern method, using an electric mixer or food processor, involves simply whisking all the ingredients together until creamy.[7][8][9] Additionally, the modern method typically uses an extra raising agent, and some recipes call for an extra-soft butter or margarine.[11] Both the traditional and modern methods are relatively quick and simple, producing consistent results, making this type of mixture one of the most popular for children and people in a hurry. This basic 'cake' mixture has been made into an endless variety of treats and puddings, including cupcakes, chocolate cake, Eve's pudding and many others.[7][8][9]
    Last edited by Bearcata; 10-19-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #135
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,192

    Re: MasterChef Junior

    I don't think Alexander was saved because he is a top contender either. His cake looked pretty bad, but then so did Kaylen's and Sophia's. I think Sophia was an obvious choice to go, but I think it is quite possible that the flavours of Alexander's cake trumped Kaylen's.
    Conversely, I was sure that Jack would be among the top two based on the look of his cake and the critiques... he had the lightest, most beautiful cake when cut, but he didn't. He got third. A lot of the judging comes down to flavour, and unfortunately, we don't get to taste them... we have to trust the judges sometimes.

    Count me as one who is really sad to see Kaylen go. She has given the impression that she is such a lovely, sweet and gracious person.

    I'm surprised that no one thinks Sarah could win this. I really think she could. My guess is still Alexander, but I want it to be JACK!
    Punkin and Photobabe like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

    So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

  6. #136
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,241

    Re: MasterChef Junior

    Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I don't think Alexander was saved because he is a top contender either. His cake looked pretty bad, but then so did Kaylen's and Sophia's. I think Sophia was an obvious choice to go, but I think it is quite possible that the flavours of Alexander's cake trumped Kaylen's.
    Conversely, I was sure that Jack would be among the top two based on the look of his cake and the critiques... he had the lightest, most beautiful cake when cut, but he didn't. He got third. A lot of the judging comes down to flavour, and unfortunately, we don't get to taste them... we have to trust the judges sometimes.

    Count me as one who is really sad to see Kaylen go. She has given the impression that she is such a lovely, sweet and gracious person.

    I'm surprised that no one thinks Sarah could win this. I really think she could. My guess is still Alexander, but I want it to be JACK!
    I love Jack, but when I say I love them all- I really do. I hate to see their little dreams crushed, but they move on- wearing their aprons with pride I am sure.
    Punkin, Shoepie and spockwhat like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  7. #137
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: MasterChef Junior

    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I do agree with you that they went all the way to save Alexander despite his clearly having the worst cake of the lot. The judges have stated in the adult seasons a couple of times that they don't judge you based on everything you've done in the competition, they judge you based on what you present to them right then and there. They contradict themselves a lot, or like I figure, they show a lot of favoritism. You could even see it in the Mystery Box challenge, Gordon told Alexander "Can't wait to taste it" while Alexander was cooking. Isn't that a pretty clear sign they already wanted him in the Top 3 right there?

    It was a big bummer losing Kaylen, she's always been so sweet. How she's always happy even if she doesn't win, and how supportive she is to everyone, especially how she was comforting a crying Alexander last night. At least my other favorite, Dara, is still in there. It was nice to see how, after her failed souffle in the first challenge, she bounced back strong in the second challenge.

    What I'm disliking about this show, though, is having double eliminations in every episode. We barely got to meet Tommy and Molly, Roen got eliminated after not saying much, now the same with Sofia. That and the continued use of immunities. I like advantages on cooking competitions like this, but I don't like immunity.
    Sophia'a frosting was a disaster, Alex's was not great but not as bad as hers by quite a margin.

    I think this is moving fast because children just don't have the stamina to be on the show as long as adults.
    Punkin likes this.

  8. #138
    Unofficial Nomster Rembrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: MasterChef Junior

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Sophia'a frosting was a disaster, Alex's was not great but not as bad as hers by quite a margin.

    I think this is moving fast because children just don't have the stamina to be on the show as long as adults.
    I do agree that Sofia was the other one who should have been eliminated, that one I agree with. But the judges did say it themselves, nothing on Alexander's cake was good. My aunt has earned a living baking cakes for longer than I've been alive, and I've studied her procedure and final results extensively. From what I could see myself, Alexander's cake had worse mistakes than Kaylen's. So either the judges showed favoritism and saved Alexander over Kaylen, or something about the flavor of Kaylen's cake must have been way off.

    What bums me about the kids being eliminated so quickly is how different they do it in the Australian version. In that one, they have several challenges, with the kids earing point depending on how well they've performed. At a certain time, the four kids with the lowest points are eliminated, but it gives us a better chance to see the kids entirely. That's why I feel this season is feeling rushed. Though it seems to be successful thus far, so it may have a second season, in which case, I hope it's a little longer and does away with the double eliminations.

  9. #139
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: MasterChef Junior

    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I do agree that Sofia was the other one who should have been eliminated, that one I agree with. But the judges did say it themselves, nothing on Alexander's cake was good. My aunt has earned a living baking cakes for longer than I've been alive, and I've studied her procedure and final results extensively. From what I could see myself, Alexander's cake had worse mistakes than Kaylen's. So either the judges showed favoritism and saved Alexander over Kaylen, or something about the flavor of Kaylen's cake must have been way off.

    What bums me about the kids being eliminated so quickly is how different they do it in the Australian version. In that one, they have several challenges, with the kids earing point depending on how well they've performed. At a certain time, the four kids with the lowest points are eliminated, but it gives us a better chance to see the kids entirely. That's why I feel this season is feeling rushed. Though it seems to be successful thus far, so it may have a second season, in which case, I hope it's a little longer and does away with the double eliminations.
    Yeah, Australian versions of our shows vary greatly and are often better. Big Brother is one that we could use as a source for improvement.

    I do not fault them for bending the rules, if they did, to keep Alex. He is a Michelin star chef in the making. They see his grand potential and that would be a terrible thing to let go, at this point. If he fails again, they would be forced to let him go, though reluctantly, I am sure.

    Cake is my favorite sweet. Could you please ask your aunt if she could adopt me? I will pay. Tell her I love her.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 10-19-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    Punkin, spockwhat and AZChristian like this.

  10. #140
    FORT Fogey Punkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,836

    Re: MasterChef Junior

    If I could just get past figuring out what those Aussies are saying when they open their mouths.......
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.