+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 207 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114164 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

I am very turned off by the incessant Walmart ad - I hate Walmart & will never shop there. Don't wish to be assaulted constantly.

One question I have about this show - are they provided with any recipes? For example - the lava cake. Even if I had made it a few times, I would never remember the measurements for each ingredients unless I was told before hand to study or memorize the recipe. With baking especially, measuring is vital. I have Xmas cookie recipes I have made for twenty years. I remember the basic ingredients but never the amts of each.
    Allie likes this.
    Roz

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

FORT Fogey

I am glad I am not the only person who was amazed that the dessert was considered a great entry when she did not follow directions. I expected Ramsey to be in her face demanding how he could sell that for $40? I thought keeping to the directions was a big deal...apparentlyit changes depending on who you are???
    Cornholio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rozzie17 View Post
    I am very turned off by the incessant Walmart ad - I hate Walmart & will never shop there. Don't wish to be assaulted constantly.

One question I have about this show - are they provided with any recipes? For example - the lava cake. Even if I had made it a few times, I would never remember the measurements for each ingredients unless I was told before hand to study or memorize the recipe. With baking especially, measuring is vital. I have Xmas cookie recipes I have made for twenty years. I remember the basic ingredients but never the amts of each.
    I like Walmart, and we shop there ( we also go to farmers markets though)

I tried to find that out about the recipes, and I didn't come up with anything.
    I also wanted to find the recipe that Stacy used for her trifle, I thought something like it might be online. I came up empty handed.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

CCL

Stacey made an Italian trifle. You can find recipes for Italian trifles online.
    I've read that the contestants take cooking classes which aren't filmed/shown...presumably they would be teaching them things that would come up in the competition. There are also apparently cookbooks in the kitchen though I don't know if they're allowed to consult them when cooking (maybe just before?).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I've read that the contestants take cooking classes which aren't filmed/shown...presumably they would be teaching them things that would come up in the competition. There are also apparently cookbooks in the kitchen though I don't know if they're allowed to consult them when cooking (maybe just before?).
    . I found a few, most of them seem a cross between Trifle and Tiramisu( hers didn't) - I will keep looking.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I had a feeling they did something like that as no one person can know every ingredient/recipe out there. I have heard of trifles but wasn't sure exactly what was in them, except for cream.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    . I found a few, most of them seem a cross between Trifle and Tiramisu( hers didn't) - I will keep looking.
    I think because the Italian version uses ladyfingers instead of sponge? Sorry, I didn't pay that much attention to what was in her trifle. Maybe you could ask her on Facebook or twitter? Good luck with your search.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rozzie17 View Post

They must be teaching them some of these things during the non-aired times because an average home cook would not be able to execute every dish they ask for without a recipe at all. Especially desserts that you have to bake - you can't just throw things in a bowl and come up with a cake. You can get away with that (somewhat) cooking, but baking is a science and ingrediants must be exact for them to turn out correctly. I was thinking about this last season too, when they were told to make a classic hollandaise sauce. Even a really good home cook may never had made one before, and if they have, they may not remember all of the exact ingrediants. So, it seems like they must be teaching them behind the scenes. And, if that is the case, I would be interested in watching the "classes". It would interest me to learn these techniques and recipes as well.

I think because the Italian version uses ladyfingers instead of sponge? Sorry, I didn't pay that much attention to what was in her trifle. Maybe you could ask her on Facebook or twitter? Good luck with your search.
    I didn't think she used Lady fingers, but I did hear her say balsamic vinegar.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I still can't believe that trifle is supposedly Ramsay's favorite dessert. My daughter asked me what trifle was and I told her it's what you make when you remember at the last minute that you promised to bring a dessert to a potluck. Have never liked the stuff...whipped cream, pudding, fruit and sponge cake...bleah. "Technical" my arse. Still can't believe people got away with making that or strawberry shortcake and others got tiramisu.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread