+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I think there are basics they aren't shown, probably fileting a fish as chefs should know that (it amazes me how many don't)
    I'm not a chef. I am a bit of a fisherwoman. When hubby and I started fishing a few years ago I volunteered to clean fish because I wanted to learn how. The responsibility stuck. For a long time the fish were fairly small and not worth fileting. So hubby (our resident chef) cooked them still with bone. Recently we were on a fishing vacation where the freshwater bass were finally large enough to be worth fileting. I watched quite a number of online instruction videos before deciding what technique I wanted to try. There was very little consistency in how they were doing. What struck me as the best way turned out to be quite different than how Ramsay demonstrated to Jessi where he wasted a considerable amount of the fish. I'll bet Jessi felt compelled to filet in the manner Ramsay did to produce similar filet steaks and that it wasn't how she might ordinarily do it.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Now, can't we share???

I think there are basics they aren't shown, probably fileting a fish as chefs should know that (it amazes me how many don't) and other things they get a basic run down.
    My hubby was shown as a child, when he went fishing with his father, he has never forgotten how

Btw- Yes, okay( sigh) we can share
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    My hubby was shown as a child, when he went fishing with his father, he has never forgotten how

Btw- Yes, okay( sigh) we can share
    We used to go fishing and my mom always fileted better then my dad. She would be the only woman among the men cleaning her fish! I do think that knowing it is a must for anyone who is or wants to be considered a chef.

And thank you!
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I think if you're a serious home cook, there probably isn't much you haven't at least tried. They probably go out of their way to try cooking food from different parts of the world all the time.
    I'm not much of a cook, but have made sushi, and explored Korean food and am fairly competent at Italian. The exception is baking. Not all cooks are interested in doing bakes.

I think what really surprises me is considering they are home cooks, just how good they are at plating.

ETA: I'm SO sick of Krissi, I just want her to go home so much.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I'm not a chef. I am a bit of a fisherwoman. When hubby and I started fishing a few years ago I volunteered to clean fish because I wanted to learn how. The responsibility stuck. For a long time the fish were fairly small and not worth fileting. So hubby (our resident chef) cooked them still with bone. Recently we were on a fishing vacation where the freshwater bass were finally large enough to be worth fileting. I watched quite a number of online instruction videos before deciding what technique I wanted to try. There was very little consistency in how they were doing. What struck me as the best way turned out to be quite different than how Ramsay demonstrated to Jessi where he wasted a considerable amount of the fish. I'll bet Jessi felt compelled to filet in the manner Ramsay did to produce similar filet steaks and that it wasn't how she might ordinarily do it.
    My mom would actually get more meat off the fish then most of the men did.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Reading all of this has me looking for my epi pen!
    Ellen and causingchaos like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

IIRC, in one of the first couple of seasons, a contestant said that for the baking challenges, they were given a basic recipe. I've since looked and never see recipes at workstations, but maybe the recipe is on a screen up at the front. I see contestants looking up - which may be at a clock - or a recipe - or both?

It makes sense to me that they're given recipes - or at least a list of ingredients & amounts - for the baking challenges because baking requires precise ratios - even professional bakers use recipes. And in the macaron challenge, I'd be really surprised if more than a couple of them knew what macarons were.

I want to see what is going to happen with those eggs next week, and who comes back. I say Bri- because that will cause a panic with a couple Jessie and Natasha and of course rude remarks from Krissie

Lucas dish looked the best he had ever done, he should have his wife on set more often
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Krissi still drives me nuts. I didn't feel sorry for her at all regarding his kid not showing up. I too thought Joe's tear was about as fake as his attempt to put an Italian accent on when he says different types of Italian words (usually the pastas or risotto lol).

I was hoping Krissi would finally be going home - ugh. James - I like him, but he's starting to slip down from the top competitors. Natasha is certainly coming out in to her own though.
    Florimel likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Are we due for MasterChef All-Stars? Comprised of the 2nd and 3rd place finishers plus others in between.

+ Reply to Thread