+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 207 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100140190 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Monti's soup thing... when I watched this I refused to believe she didn't have some sort of reference for this at all. She is not familiar at all with Asian foods in general and then pulled of a soup like that knowing it's real name (whereas joe average public would have called it soup with coconut in it). I just don't buy that at all. So I wasn't completely impressed with that but I know we discussed past seasons on here about the contestants using references if not recipes especially for the baking parts of this show.

Anyhow, the complete lack of any knife skills in that sashimi part of the show was fascinating to me.

And I've always liked Joe. And I know I'm well in the minority with that as well. I thoroughly enjoy his arrogance and straight forwardness. Though that being said I think Graham and certainly Gordon have more professional right to be arrogant than Joe does. It interests me that you don't see Graham like that that often or when he is, he's not oozing it.

FORT Fogey

I like Joe too! Monti said she had tasted the soup and since she had the ingredients she just kept adding until it tasted right to her. It is not a difficult soup to make. Asian soups with a coconut base are very easy and tasty. I have made many. They are quick and delicious. She made a mistake by adding potatoes and carrots. Christine had those to create the broth with the chicken. I really believed her because you could see the stress as she was creating it.

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I have a soft spot for Monti. She continually impressed me with her ability, especially last night when she made the Vietnamese soup, never having any exerience with Asian food at all! I hope someone sees this and helps her establish a food truck. She is an excellent cook.

I would love to see Christine win this. If she doesn't I bet Gordon has a place for her. Her pallet will be a good asset to him.

Becky's attitude is grating on me. She is good but a bit off putting for me.

Josh will probably go next. I was shocked he didn't last night. He had the advantage and failed.
    Shoepie! What you said was almost exactly what I said while telling my husband about the show...agreed on all opinions.
    Go, Christine!!
    Shoepie likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I'm rooting for a Christine/Frank final. I think that would be the friendliest, kindest, and most talented final I could think of. I ADORE them both!

I'm completely ok with Monti going home. I think they eliminated her on experience and skills. They simply thought Josh has more abilities overall going forward. That said, I hope it's Josh next. As talented as she is, Becky just grates on my last nerve, so I would love to see her eliminated just before the final two. Ouch.
    Kip, Florimel, libgirl2 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I'm rooting for a Christine/Frank final. I think that would be the friendliest, kindest, and most talented final I could think of. I ADORE them both!
    Me too. First it would be nice to see a guy win and second, if its Christine, what an inspiration!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I'm also okay with Monti being eliminated but it does irk a bit because of the comments already made about Josh. Also, as far as irritating behavior, she didn't bug me nearly as much as Becky throwing her self on the floor and crying for not being eliminated awhile back. That said, I wouldn't have liked to see her eliminated for the mistakes on this latest show, her cooking has been far more consistently great for that, where Josh, again, has been up and down and actually out.

I get not being able to offer Monti a job due to location but agree with whoever said they could have helped with her food truck dream. Maybe someone will start a fund on that website! ;-)

Frank or Christine for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf View Post
    I found it a bit insulting to Monti that David was eliminated last week, but was still offered his dream, a position in one of Graham Elliot's restaurants, yet Monti wasn't offered a position or even any assistance with her dream of owning a food truck. That's just wrong, imho.
    Thank you for saying this...I kept waiting for something...anything..to be offered to Monti also...like David.
    I guess I wrongly assumed that the top chefs remaining would be helped some way...I didn't like Monti for quite awhile but her sincerity, passion and great sportsmanship finally won me over.
    Even if an offer was in another city, I think many would take it.
    Kip and Florimel like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I think that's "resume-speak" for "file clerk in a day care center."

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Basically she can see light and not just black. Other than that she really is blind. Because she had sight most of her life she turns her head toward the sound and knows that the face is right there. She cannot see any detail at all. You can tell when you watch her cut something.
    Oh, I wasn't implying that she's not blind. I know many people wrongly assume "blind" means seeing absolutely nothing but black, which is what I meant by "wasn't completely blind". Obviously the ability to see some shapes and shadows is preferable to seeing nothing but blackness, and based on Rattus' post quoting Christine's own words, she can discern shapes. I commented only because I was curious what she could see. Different disorders lead to different kinds of blindness, like tunnel vision or peripheral vision only.
    Shoepie likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Monti's soup thing... when I watched this I refused to believe she didn't have some sort of reference for this at all. She is not familiar at all with Asian foods in general and then pulled of a soup like that knowing it's real name (whereas joe average public would have called it soup with coconut in it). I just don't buy that at all. So I wasn't completely impressed with that but I know we discussed past seasons on here about the contestants using references if not recipes especially for the baking parts of this show.
    Actually, Monti mentioned that she has eaten that type of soup before, so she basically kept tasting as she cooked till she felt she got it right.

+ Reply to Thread