+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 207 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by canuck;4025306;
    And there's NO way for the Mexican gal and her mother could drive to her home and back (to Whittier), get the ingredients she needed, and cook them in a period of TWO hours. Not to mention that her car was conveniently parked right outside the studio on the public street so she can hop in it and get to the freeway.

Aah, but I have no problem with adding stuff on a reality show to get the story across.
    LOL, my husband & I said the same thing!
    I also thought that she should have made this enchilada dish from El Cholo restaurant in La Habra (near Whittier) for the egg challenge. It's Layered Corn Tortillas, Savory Chicken simmered in a Tomato, Onion, Cilantro Broth, & Cheese, topped with Olives and a Fried Egg. I think she would have gone through with that dish.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by VanJagSol;4027472;
    I am watching the 2nd episode now and Graham makes me want to turn it off. Not sure what it is about him but I just don't care for him at all.
    I love everything about him. Then again, I've watched his Kitchen Nightmares show (the European ones), "F Word" and the latest Gordon Ramsey's Great Escape. Love the way he interacts with his friends and kids -- a different perspective. I also read his biography -- what a hard life he had between his abusive dad and druggie brother. He certainly paid his dues in life -- amazing what he went through to learn everything he could about cooking from washing dishes all the way up. And his closeness to his mother. I hated Hell's Kitchen though -- wasn't relaxing and the pace of the show was way too much for me.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    Tom Hanks - A League of Their Own

I'm actually quite enjoying this, except for one judge and one competitor. That Bastianich guy from the judges comes across as such a weirdo jerk. He's unnecessarily harsh, and I loathe how he just eats, gives people a death stare and then just turns around without a word and with this unique expression on his face that makes you want to punch him.

And then there's that David guy, the one from Boston. I sure hope he gets eliminated early, because he is so over the top on absolutely everything that I already can't stand him. Considering my luck, he'll likely make it far, if not win.

Everybody else? I'm liking the, and look forward to see where this goes.

First, really annoyed that this is now up against BB. Really annoyed. Second, how on earth did that team expect to feed 400 people with three pans of potatoes and three pans of vegetables? Do they have some sort of Jesus complex? And third, why on earth would anything think that a professional chef would use chili powder to make chili? Only one of them recognized cumin? Sheesh.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

why on earth would anything think that a professional chef would use chili powder to make chili?
    That's what we were thinking!!

The chinese challenge was interesting but I would have liked to have heard the other judges' comments on the dishes as well as Ramsay's. I am surprised they kept Farouq over Sheena because it seemed that she displayed a little more creativity than he did. I knew Avis was toast.

As to the bulk feeding challenge - the one thing I was confused about, and can see how the teams would have been too is that it didn't seem well explained that the soldiers would be choosing which team's menu they preferred to dine from. So the team could have needed food for 50 or for 400. So the Blue team won because they didn't run out of food but they fed far fewer people ultimately????

that whole chili powder thing was rediculous...

and at minimum you can just look at it and automatically name off 1/2 the ingredients

and obviosly SALT is an ingredient

never heard of pork being in chili

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I thought it was cool that the girl who was making kung pao shrimp had enough sense to read some labels in the Asian food aisle to see what was in it! That was a smart idea.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4042489;
    I thought it was cool that the girl who was making kung pao shrimp had enough sense to read some labels in the Asian food aisle to see what was in it! That was a smart idea.
    Wrong show, hon, that was Top Chef.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kerowyn66;4042674;
    Wrong show, hon, that was Top Chef.
    Duh. Senior moment!!! LOL.

I'm beginning to think I watch too many reality shows.

Nahhhhhh.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

I don't think it's odd that the contestants named 'chili powder' as one of the ingrediants-after all these are home cooks and they probably use chili powder in their chili. I'm sure half of them have absolutely no idea what a professional chef would use in a lot of things. I also think it should have been a blindfolded challenge- obviously you could see the celery, onions, cilantro, meat, and beans without even having to taste them.

I thought the Chinese challenge was a hard challenge for only week 2. I would have expected a 'broader' challenge- such as 'make your best chicken dish with these mandarin oranges' or something like that. I don't think a Chinese challenge necessarily shows off their skills as chefs, but it does show who can't cook Chinese. Mike, who appears to be Asian, won that challenge, which didn't shock me in the least. I think I would have been more surprised if he or Slim didn't win as they probably have more knowledge about Chinese cooking. I was surpised everyone used chicken. Was there no beef or pork or seafood in the pantry?

+ Reply to Thread