+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I don't think Howard deserved the berating he got. Joe is one to talk about being narcissitic. Have you looked in a mirror lately, Joe??? Talk about being a narcissist.
    I know - folks say Ramsay is the biggest one, but watching all of them honestly? - It's Joe by two time zones more than either Gordon or Graham.

I mean - you look at the three of them, Gordon and Graham give constructive criticism EXCEPT when it's justified here (i.e. undercooked proteins, something that truly is inedible, cheating). They want the chefs to do better and succeed in their cooking, and not discourage them. When they're mean regarding undercooked foods, it's so the chefs know what can happen - and folks have corrected it quickly if they weren't eliminated (rare but has happened).

Joe is mean to be mean. I mean he has been critical of folks with handicaps too, and stereotypical of them (i.e. Christine last year - he was always questioning her). Sheesh, he can't even eat a dish without giving the stink eye. Even Simon Cowell wasn't that rude.

I wonder how many people have given up trying to be creative in their cooking thanks to his rather rude remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    No! When I saw season previews I saw Jane Lynch and thought, oh no its a Glee challenge!
    I like Lynch as an actress, but "Glee" has been dragging on for the past two years (and no, I'm not a fan, but stating a fact - especially after Lea's and a couple of other's rant about being replaced - which is why the post HS stories).

Honestly, I'd rather dealt with another product placement challenge over trying to draw interest up for a dying TV show.

Nothing more than a gut feeling on my part but...

I think it's what Howard said, and wasn't shown, and not what he produced that got him kicked off the show.

I've watched a lot of reality tv and it's important to read between the lines of the editing. Howard was probably disrespectful in his remarks toward Lydia....big time. The reason I say this isn't because of what Joe said (although he seemed over the top angry and most likely defending his mother) but because of what Gordon said later. The line I'm thinking of was something like... "Lydia has been a renowned chef/cook/in the food industry for 60 years and has a stellar reputation etc. etc. etc." His words told me something big went down but it wasn't shown on tv because it was borderline outrageous and an embarrassment to everyone involved . It's also why the judges left it up to Howard to remove his apron. Howard knew his time was up and he only had himself to blame...due to his ignorance and arrogance.

Granted, I could be wrong but it was all soooooo oddly edited that I think something like this happened.

Another form of editing that was obvious was Krissi and her laughing. Sure, she probably giggled and laughed a few times but the editors kept showing the same laugh over and over again to make it appear that she was enjoying a giant laugh fest all the way through the pie challenge. I doubt that happened.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 06-20-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    Shoepie and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post

I think it's what Howard said, and wasn't shown, and not what he produced that got him kicked off the show.

I've watched a lot of reality tv and it's important to read between the lines of the editing. Howard was probably disrespectful in his remarks toward Lydia....big time. The reason I say this isn't because of what Joe said (although he seemed over the top angry and most likely defending his mother) but because of what Gordon said later. The line I'm thinking of was something like... "Lydia has been a renowned chef/cook/in the food industry for 60 years and has a stellar reputation etc. etc. etc." His words told me something big went down but it wasn't shown on tv because it was borderline outrageous and an embarrassment to everyone involved . It's also why the judges left it up to Howard to remove his apron. Howard knew his time was up and he only had himself to blame...due to his ignorance and arrogance.

Granted, I could be wrong but it was all soooooo oddly edited that I think something like this happened.
    I think you are right. I posted that it's what Howard said, not what he had cooked.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I have to go, now that I think about how the drama unfolded, with what the two posters above said---that Howard must have been disrespective to Lydia in defendng his dish. If, however, we did not hear him, then Joe's words should have also been taken out.

GR's words, in dismissing him--- giving him the chance to walk out on his own--- were pretty telling.

Thanks for giving me that point of view, but I do hold with my opinion that Joe's words should not have been broadcast either.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I have to go, now that I think about how the drama unfolded, with what the two posters above said---that Howard must have been disrespective to Lydia in defendng his dish. If, however, we did not hear him, then Joe's words should have also been taken out.

GR's words, in dismissing him--- giving him the chance to walk out on his own--- were pretty telling.

Thanks for giving me that point of view, but I do hold with my opinion that Joe's words should not have been broadcast either.

If they had taken everything out, then we would be saying why did Howard leave. GR would have made no sense
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post

Another form of editing that was obvious was Krissi and her laughing. Sure, she probably giggled and laughed a few times but the editors kept showing the same laugh over and over again to make it appear that she was enjoying a giant laugh fest all the way through the pie challenge. I doubt that happened.
    I agree. Krissy hated Howard from the 1st show. That is an indication that he showed his attitude from the begining. Never mind Krissy's toxic personality; there was a reason.

I definately think something went down with Howard that would have been embarrassing to Lidia, thus it was not shown. Editing probably left out some other things, as well. The way his dismissal was handled, it is clear that they had had enough. And we missed a lot of it.

The challange was to replicate the perfect pasta dish as was demonstrated and be creative with the filling. One key factor was a description of the filling. Ground, seasoned meat, that was it. And a sauce for any stuffed pasta is traditionally thin, never a heavy sauce. There was room for creativity within the framework.

I was surprised the man who won the food challenge box only used the 2 easiest ingredients, elk and sweet potato. That is the only thing that stumped me on this episode. Had Bime's pie not been liquid he would have stayed.

They just could not breeze by that one!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I understand that Krissi's behavior was not polite.

However, as she said - "some of those people have not liked me since the beginning, so I don't care what they think." There really are some snob wannabees in the contestant pool, and some of them HAVE been very rude to her. Not only that, Krissi's opinions are reflected not only in her words, but in her demeanor. There's no undercurrent with her . . . it's a raging tide and is and always has been (on this show) right up front for all to see.

I didn't like seeing her gloat, but I understand it.
    Shoepie likes this.

I 100% believe that Howard said/did something that we were not shown. It made no sense the way it was shown for Joe to have that sort of reaction.

Krassy (HAHA), I hated her from the moment I saw her on the screen. I know her type and I know it well. I pegged her as classless trash and she's proven me right. She's ugly on the outside and inside, Jane pegged her right as a "beast". I wanted to punch her when I saw her greasy face snickering and gloating.

I can't remember the last time I have disliked a contestant as much as I loathe her.

But on a bright side, I don't hate Jordan as much because of her! LOL

They haven't liked Krassy from the beginning because she showed her butt from the start. You can't go into these things acting like trash with an attitude and expect people to love you. She also showed an insane amount of irrational jealousy over the girl who cut her finger.

From the clips, I think what happens next week is that cut-finger girl wins and Krissy makes one of her cowardly under her breath comments "I knew it" which implies that the girl is getting by on her looks alone (didn't anybody find it curious that Gordon made a comment about her being more than just a pretty face?). Joe overhears it and goes to town on her. The judges are already ticked off that they had to send somebody who they felt shouldn't have gone home because of her so I have no doubt they will be looking for a reason to get rid of her.
    Ellen, pikachu and mesachick like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Oh gosh, I forgot Jessie's finger- it was bleeding quite a lot. I didn't need to see that close up, let alone Gordon finding her nail etc ( eww)
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread