+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

These two episodes were fairly interesting, and add in there that both had desserts on it, it made me happy. What didn't make me happy was the elimination of Adriana, one of my early favorites. I took a liking to Kathy too (being Puerto Rican like Bime also helps), her cheesecake looked amazing and I hope her mishap with the cupcakes won't hinder her in the long run.

Overall, nothing much changed, but it's nice to see a bit more of these folks, just wish we could see even more. While very little Natasha was a very welcome thing in these episodes, Jordan's creepy sunken-in face and his arrogant attitude left a sour taste. I saw this behavior from him right from his audition. Hopefully neither he nor Natasha win. As for Howard, other than the cupcakes, he's been terrible so far. Hopefully we won't have another Tali in our hands.

I was curious as to why we had a Top 19 this time, with ten women and nine men, so I went back to the episode where they were chosen. On that moment when Gordon separates contestants into two groups and tells one group that they made it and the other group didn't, take a close look at the group who make it. In the front row, standing between Kathy and Bethy, there is another guy we'd never seen before, so we were supposed to have a Top 20. I wonder who the guywas and just why he didn't make it to the MasterChef kitchen, whether he quit due to whatever reason or was disqualified. It just makes me very curious.
    Kip and JohnnyK like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I was curious as to why we had a Top 19 this time, with ten women and nine men, so I went back to the episode where they were chosen. On that moment when Gordon separates contestants into two groups and tells one group that they made it and the other group didn't, take a close look at the group who make it. In the front row, standing between Kathy and Bethy, there is another guy we'd never seen before, so we were supposed to have a Top 20. I wonder who the guywas and just why he didn't make it to the MasterChef kitchen, whether he quit due to whatever reason or was disqualified. It just makes me very curious.
    Very interesting. Good find!!!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I read this show is on in the American Baking Competition thread and I have loved it in the past so I thought I'd catch up and join the fun!

Judging by reading this thread, I may have one of the few to have LOVED the auditions. I actually had tears in my eyes a few times and I really enjoyed especially when Krissy's son got to meet Gordon Ramsey and when the greek wedding soup guy proposed to his girlfriend. I found Krissy's son to be so sweet and respectful (and awesome with his mom) and I'm surprised to find she can be so loud-mouthed and obnoxious... maybe her son has a touch of that too and doesn't show it. Krissy and Natasha act like a couple of spoiled children.
    Of the women so far, I really like Jessie and Bethy. I kind of despise the fact that the judges didn't take Jessie seriously at first because she's a stewardess and beautiful (beautiful unlike Natasha. *cough* hear me, Natasha?) and made her fillet the fish. But she showed them up, the jerks. :p And I enjoyed Sasha's audition. A lot of it was put on, but it was entertaining and fun.
    As for the guys, I adore Luca and I actually really like Jordan too. Luca is adorable and talented and Jordan (despite the cockiness) is so talented and determined. But more than either of those two, I'm really rooting for Adam. Though he takes great care of his hair... all of it plus the facial hair gives me the heebie-jeebies in a chef. Even if he just got rid of the facial hair, I think I'd feel less uncomfortable about it. That said, he has some of the funniest comments and PIs. Love him.

Finally, I just want to add that I'm a Joe fan. There are people with occupations that are wide open to critique and being a chef is one of those jobs. Critics, customers and other cooks will be really HARD on you. I don't blame these judges for being tough and looking for toughness in the cooks. It's a necessary evil of the job. You just can't fall apart every time something doesn't work out and they test these cooks for that and I get it.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    As for the guys, I adore Luca and I actually really like Jordan too. Luca is adorable and talented and Jordan (despite the cockiness) is so talented and determined. But more than either of those two, I'm really rooting for Adam. Though he takes great care of his hair... all of it plus the facial hair gives me the heebie-jeebies in a chef. Even if he just got rid of the facial hair, I think I'd feel less uncomfortable about it. That said, he has some of the funniest comments and PIs. Love him.

Finally, I just want to add that I'm a Joe fan. There are people with occupations that are wide open to critique and being a chef is one of those jobs. Critics, customers and other cooks will be really HARD on you. I don't blame these judges for being tough and looking for toughness in the cooks. It's a necessary evil of the job. You just can't fall apart every time something doesn't work out and they test these cooks for that and I get it.
    I think you mean James, not Adam. I dislike him because he seems to be a mean snarker, which I dislike in general. I do like how determined everybody is, I just dislike the supreme arrogance in Jordan. He and Natasha should be named Mr. & Mrs. Stankface, they have the ugliest frowns whenever someone they dislike does well.

And the thing about Joe is that he comes across as such a ridiculous, tool poser with his mean judge thing. MAsterChef Australia shows that there's no need for mean judges, constructive critisicm works best, as Gordon and Graham have proved. Thing is, you say being a chef require toughness, but we should remember not all these people want to become chefs. They're looking for the best home cook to win and get a cook book deal, they're not looking for the best chef to run a restaurant. Hence why I believe Joe and his meanie shctick should be sent packing. I'd rather we have a judge who's an actual chef, maybe a lady, I feel there's a lack of a lady in the judges. If you want a tough but fair critic for these home cooks, I'd say Alex Guarnaschelli would be the best option, but shame she's too busy with her own duties as a judge in Chopped and competitor in Iron Chef America.

I like all three judge( very much) they all add something .I don't say that about many shows
    NCLurker and Shoepie like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't like any of the judges except perhaps for the middle guy. Harsh criticism is one thing, to humiliate and trash people is abominable to me. I don't care how good a chef Gordon Ramsey is; I would never eat at a restaurant of his because of the way he talks to people. I don't care if it is an act he puts on or if he does wonderful things in his life. Cursing at people and throwing their food at them or spitting it out is just rude and unnecessary. Same for Joe, but in spades and doubled. I watch this show for the cooking ideas, but I tune out when the judges are doing their thing and believe it's entertainment.

I know that's not the popular point of view around here, but it remains mine. I am not entertained by bad behavior on any show.
    pikachu likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Thanks Rembrant, I did mean James, I don't know why I typed Adam! I like the snark.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Some might say he looks like a long haired and bearded Adam Levine
    spockwhat likes this.

He and Natasha should be named Mr. & Mrs. Stankface, they have the ugliest frowns whenever someone they dislike does well.
    , this made me LOL!!!!!!!!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Hmmm, I don't find the chef judges particularly mean. Joe is a jerk, but I'm thinking of "mean" in a temper-tantruming, object-flinging way (like the HK version of Ramsey). On the other hand, Joe has had moments where he's quite nice, which makes me think he's just playing up the nasty for the show.

My favourites this season are James, Luca, and Krissi. Yes, Krissi, and not just because she is feuding with Natasha, although that certainly helps. I like her because she is more of my idea of what a home cook is - no elaborate plating and pretentious ingredients, just recognizable food done very well. I know they're not going to pick a chubby mama bear with a chip on her shoulder, but her style is more what I imagined the spirit of Master Chef would be.
    march likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread