+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Graham has got virtually nothing compared to them,
    Well, he does have 2 Michelin stars so I wouldn't exactly call that "nothing"
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Regnes View Post
    I'm looking forward to Season 4 starting up in the coming months, but I'm hoping they do several things to improve the show from Season 3.

My main gripe was how over emotional the whole thing was, as well as how obvious it was that Christine was going to win. I personally think Christine was chosen as the winner around the times of the auditions, nor do I believe she was fully blind, true or not, they really milked her with all the crying each and every episode. Almost everytime she brought a dish up they would queue the piano music, the judges would reinforce how inspiring this all is and she starts crying, jeez.
    I have to disagree here on a few points:

She wasn't fully blind and freely admitted it - even on the show itself. She has a blindness that pretty much only allows her to see shadows and the like.

But - any type of vision impairment of that level DOES affect your cooking. You can't tell if you're picking up some foods that you may not want because they could be similar textures.

Additionally, she was resoundly panned a few times for her cooking - at least one time nearly if not getting into the bottom chefs and almost getting eliminated.

I also didn't like how they conveniently changed the rules in her favour. Like when she had the best dish in a previous round and got to be team captain, that was normal, but then at the end they let her swap her weakest link for her opponent's strongest link. That was BS, the captain who had the best dish already gets an advantage of the other team by being allowed first pick, that's fair, crippling the other team isn't fair. It's true that they did hand out bonuses to some of the other team captains across the season, but nothing came even close to what they gave Christine. The judges also treat us like we're stupid by criticizing Frank for staying in his comfort zone and threatening to kick him out if he doesn't start trying something new, and just how many Oriental dishes did Christine make? Did they ever address that? Nope.
    A counter - Josh, her competitor in the finals, was ELIMINATED, and allowed to return in a "blind" taste contest. The contestants pretty much knew who cooked what tart, and he was allowed back in.

He was in the BOTTOM again most of his second go, yet survives over better chefs. They shouldn't have let him return and it be the best of the best, because honestly the other three in the final four - Christina, Frank and Monti - were much better at their worst than Josh's best based on the judges' comments.

Oh and yes, they DID call her out at least once if not more for the Oriental dishes.

I also didn't like the Wal-Mart tie in, are we really supposed to take a show seriously when Gordon Ramsay, a world class chef is insisting that Wal-Mart's produce and meats are of top quality?
    No, BUT when said company probably paid the show millions if not more in turn for the single ep appearance, helping reduce costs and therefore allowing us another season of the show, it's worth it.

Here's another thing, we all know that Gordon is the best chef out of the three judges. Joe even proves that despite not being an actual chef, he has a serious technical understanding of the trade, given all the award winning restaurants he runs. Graham has got virtually nothing compared to them, so why was he featured so prominently? I may be wrong, but I believe he cast the final vote on most decisions with the most tie breakers, something that would be Gordon's job normally since he's the star of the show. In one challenge they had to recreate one of Graham's dishes that he served to famous people, and in another challenge they actually competed alongside him. I would have loved to see Gordon do that instead. Do people even like Graham? He's kind of a fat slob with an annoying personality if you ask me. I really don't get it, Gordon is a money maker and Fox loves him, why on earth would they not feature him over Graham?
    Two points - as mentioned Graham owns a couple of Michelin star restaurants. These are EXTREMELY difficult to get (and Ramsay has said as much for the few he has).

Secondly - you have Joe, who tends to be the Piers Morgan of the trio (snotty and know-it-all most of the time - rare in compliments), Ramsay who is the Simon Cowell (direct and honest, even though at times he does the extremes of good praise and serious criticism - the latter usually when he knows the chef can do better).

Graham is a cross between Paula and Randy - puts a positive spin (paula)/constructive criticism (randy) on what he eats. He's rarely ugly to a contestant which helps balance out the other two.
    Kip and sunshine3331 like this.

The Walmart thing - these people are home cooks, after all, not running high-end restaurants. Stuff is cheap at Walmart. I personally would not be able to tell the difference between a Walmart chicken breast and one bought at Costco or Safeway. And I'm positive my Catelli smart pasta tastes the same no matter where I buy it.
    mesachick likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    The Walmart thing - these people are home cooks, after all, not running high-end restaurants. Stuff is cheap at Walmart. I personally would not be able to tell the difference between a Walmart chicken breast and one bought at Costco or Safeway. And I'm positive my Catelli smart pasta tastes the same no matter where I buy it.
    I agree, a box of chicken breasts taste the same wherever I get them - I am just happy when I find a bargain
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Though this was not a featured comment in the challenge itself - when they were advertising these steaks they were serving them at high-end restaurants trying to see if anyone could tell the difference. Most didn't, and that was to show that you could have elegance for cheap.

Personally I don't go to Walmart for meat or produce (I have seen some places with weak upkeep in these areas), but they've gotten better and the steaks are among the better cuts of meat there. Problem is I don't eat much red meat.

Season 4 is starting soon. Commercials are already showing some spoilers, as in contestants who make it to the full competition, like a cute girl with glasses. I wonder if the two people who got told at the season 3 auditions to return for the season 4 auditions, Luca and Samantha, will return to try again. I hope they do and can get through. Despite some things in season 3 that annoyed me (like an elimination in first mystery basket and the judges' blatant favoritism of Josh), it was still a darn good season, so this new one really has its work cut out for it.

Also, I am pretty thrilled to see that we'll also be getting the first ever season of Junior Masterchef during the fall, with young kids getting to cook and compete. If it's anything like the Australian version, it'll be really cool.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I remember Luca. Hope he comes back. Who's Samantha? Wasn't she the first boot in the actual comeptition? She can't come back can she?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I remember Luca. Hope he comes back. Who's Samantha? Wasn't she the first boot in the actual comeptition? She can't come back can she?
    Indeed, a lady named Samantha was the first to be eliminated in that twist of the first mystery box challenge. It annoyed me greatly, I hate those types of quick eliminations right at the beginning of the competition, and we never even got to know anything about her.

The Samantha I'm talking about was an 18 year old girl who did well in the auditions, the judges even brought her family members in, and decided not to give her an apron, asking that she practices more and becomes better, and come back again. I certainly do hope she returns, and better too, same with Luca.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Oh I remember her now. I'd like to see her come back too.

FORT Fogey

Wow, so glad I stopped in here. This board needs a thread on the main page that lists new shows and their start date! Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread