+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: MasterChef Junior

Re: MasterChef Junior

Well, at least it was simply her confusing an ingredient by sight in that frantic rush, which is better than flat-out forgetting a key ingredient like we've seen adult contestants do.
    Photobabe likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I one attended a very nice dinner party where the host (single man) mistakenly used cabbage for lettuce in the salad!! At least the rest of the meal was good.
    A good friend of mine is a terrible cook. In the event of a pot luck we (all of her friends) ask her to bring something very simple. Well, that works only some of the time. One time she made a salad out of ornamental kale! Obviously it was inedible but very funny.
    prhoshay likes this.

Oopsies!
    In defense of cabbage: I love cabbage (red and green and Napa...) — not only for the taste and not-wimpy texture, but also for the cancer-fighting+other health benefits of the cruciferous family of veggies — which, yes, smell like farts right from the get-go. (Not pretty, but indicative of the good-for-you elements/minerals). True, it's an acquired taste for some, but when one's family has been attacked by cancer, it is somehow not so difficult to acquire AND prefer this taste. (Add to that the benefits of fermenting, as in kimchi…ahem…)
    In my apartment, we knowingly substitute cabbage for lettuce in some recipes (but not when we have guests with conventional U.S. American tastes or not-so-accepting palates or allergy/dietary needs). For just me and hubby, it's become our preference — at first out of necessity, but now out of preference.
    Hey, cancer changes things. Don't judge...
    Just a thought: sometimes a mistake can turn out to be a good thing.
    Last edited by Ellen; 10-07-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Lil Bit and shyra like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I really like cabbage. I've always been glad that my mother made sure we had it fairly regularly. I really love it when it's made in a stew pot with potatoes, onions, and smoked sausages....making sure that it's not overcooked. That was/is major comfort food. I don't even mind the smell.

I am not much of a fan of raw vegetables. My mom could munch on slices of raw potatoes....gross....raw green beans, etc. Never inherited those particular taste buds. There's very little on a veggie and dip tray that I will have anything to do with. Raw mushrooms with a little cup of low-fat dressing can keep me happy all afternoon! Salad pleases me, but please hold the radishes and red cabbage. And you can stick the carrots in your ears, too!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I really like cabbage. I've always been glad that my mother made sure we had it fairly regularly. I really love it when it's made in a stew pot with potatoes, onions, and smoked sausages....making sure that it's not overcooked. That was/is major comfort food. I don't even mind the smell.

I am not much of a fan of raw vegetables. My mom could munch on slices of raw potatoes....gross....raw green beans, etc. Never inherited those particular taste buds. There's very little on a veggie and dip tray that I will have anything to do with. Raw mushrooms with a little cup of low-fat dressing can keep me happy all afternoon! Salad pleases me, but please hold the radishes and red cabbage. And you can stick the carrots in your ears, too!
    Okay — that makes sense! I totally see your point.
    Me, I've always been one of those weirdos (family always scratching their heads at me...) who's preferred veggies raw rather than cooked. My hubby thinks I'm weird, too. Luckily, he loves me anyway...

My MIL makes cabbage soup. I thought I would hate it, I don't. I love it
    Ellen likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm another one who likes veggies, particularly cruciferous ones, both raw and cooked, and I don't find that raw cabbage has a particularly nasty smell. Cooked, I like to make it with corned beef or stuffed cabbage. Doesn't anyone eat cole slaw? Homemade cole slaw is a go to side for me.
    Moontat likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I'm another one who likes veggies, particularly cruciferous ones, both raw and cooked, and I don't find that raw cabbage has a particularly nasty smell. Cooked, I like to make it with corned beef or stuffed cabbage. Doesn't anyone eat cole slaw? Homemade cole slaw is a go to side for me.
    I like cole slaw — IF it's not made with mayo (or mayo-like) dressing.
    Shoepie likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Cole slaw is ok as long as it's not too sweet. I, especially, love to put it on my barbecue sandwich as a condiment. I've never thought that raw cabbage smells nasty; it does have a distinctively odd odor, though. Sulphur-like?

I love seeing kids eat vegetables and fruits. I know adults who don't eat those things and have never been required to eat them. One of my friends never ate veggies or fruit, and he has a really crappy heart now that he is middle-aged.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I like cole slaw — IF it's not made with mayo (or mayo-like) dressing.
    Same here, usually there is way way too much mayo in it ( ugh)
    Ellen and Photobabe like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread