+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: MasterChef Junior

FORT Newbie

Re: MasterChef Junior

I really enjoyed the first episode. I was worried about the pressure the hides would go through and Ramsey may actually know how to edit himself better than I expected.

I enjoy this more than guy vs Rachel. The kids seem more mean to each other. The parents seem more competitive on guy vs rach. Master chef however had praise and good will towards each other as well as very talented kids. Very impressed with the show so far
    Shoepie likes this.

What I saw of the first episode had me wondering the extent to which the parents prepped the kids as to what they cooked. So I'll be interested to see the extent they can really think outside the box as the challenges proceed.

I have a feeling it will be rather humiliating. ;^)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by farside View Post
    I really enjoyed the first episode. I was worried about the pressure the hides would go through and Ramsey may actually know how to edit himself better than I expected.

I enjoy this more than guy vs Rachel. The kids seem more mean to each other. The parents seem more competitive on guy vs rach. Master chef however had praise and good will towards each other as well as very talented kids. Very impressed with the show so far
    Welcome to fort!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

After reading reviews here, I decided to take this show on online.

Overall, I liked it. The kids were ridiculously adorable, talented, and handled themselves well.

I already have favourites in Alexander, Jack (mainly because he talks so cute lol), Sarah (wicked molten lava cake), and Kaylen.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks
    What I saw of the first episode had me wondering the extent to which the parents prepped the kids as to what they cooked. So I'll be interested to see the extent they can really think outside the box as the challenges proceed.

I have a feeling it will be rather humiliating. ;^)
    You can prep a kid but you can't make them cook like that when it's all down to them. They did extremely well under pressure. I'm watching but not really looking forward to seeing anyone humiliated... they all obviously love to cook and I hope this show will encourage them to continue to cook. When they are eliminated, I hope it's just because someone was just a little better not because they blew it.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    After reading reviews here, I decided to take this show on online.

Overall, I liked it. The kids were ridiculously adorable, talented, and handled themselves well.

I already have favourites in Alexander, Jack (mainly because he talks so cute lol), Sarah (wicked molten lava cake), and Kaylen. Participating and enjoying the ride is the goal.

You can prep a kid but you can't make them cook like that when it's all down to them. They did extremely well under pressure. I'm watching but not really looking forward to seeing anyone humiliated... they all obviously love to cook and I hope this show will encourage them to continue to cook.
    When they are eliminated, I hope it's just because someone was just a little better not because they blew it.
    Some will be eliminated because they blew it. It happens with adults on every cooking show in some rounds. I think these kids have been prepared by their parents, judges and staff to expect all possibilities.

From the things Gordon has said in interviews, over time, he has a given his kids a good platform on competiton. The entire family is athletic. He and his wife run marathons. Go for the win but participating and enjoying the ride is the goal. I trust the judges will keep the kids on track with their expectations.

Since there are only 12, the season will be shorter so there is no need for team challenges. Kids have not developed the ability to lead a team, so should not be put in that position. If they do, a judge will be in charge and it will be a fun experience, like a rely race or naming foods blindfolded.

I am looking forward to this. I hate the Amazing Race so it will help me with the BB withdrawal. I am over BB but the amount of board participation is so high, I am always left wanting more action here.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 10-01-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    spockwhat likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I agree, Shoepie, they may blow it, but what I was really trying to get across is that even if they do blow it, I hope they won't feel humiliated by it. For example, Nathan's dish fell apart, but the judges were honest and yet encouraging. I don't think he felt humiliated in the end.

I also agree with those who felt Nathan was too immature for this show, but that is simply because he is only 8 years old. What is that? Grade 2 or 3? From personal experience I know Nathan was completely typical of that age range... except his maturity with cooking is beyond his years. Perhaps the age range should be 11-14 if a little more 'maturity' is expected. Even then, they're kids, and they'll act like kids.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 10-01-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I agree, Shoepie, they may blow it, but what I was really trying to get across is that even if they do blow it, I hope they won't feel humiliated by it. For example, Nathan's dish fell apart, but the judges were honest and yet encouraging. I don't think he felt humiliated in the end.
    Yes, I understood what you meant. That is why I said I think they have plenty of backup on that very real possibility.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am not a fan of using the words "cute and adorable" with kids, unless they are infants or toddlers. I think it's demeaning and sells them short. They have personalities and abilities to offer, whether they are negative or positive. If they tend to be overly sensitive, this kind of competition would not be for them. Some people come along at different speeds than other people, even at young ages. This is a maturing and learning experience that will help them along their roads.

I love talking to young people to hear where they are. The conversations can be, surprisingly, mature and refreshing. Bless Nathan's little heart.....he's probably going to have "goofball" as a part of his personality forever. The last I heard, aren't our basic personalities set by the time we are ages 5 or 6 years old? It's pretty early on.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Well I find kids Nathan age, and what they come up with adorable. I am so looking forward to the next show, methinks their personalities will begin to shine
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    The last I heard, aren't our basic personalities set by the time we are ages 5 or 6 years old? It's pretty early on.

I litterly shuddered at this comment. I have a 5-year old. He is part comic, adventurer, friendly to ignoring, stubborn and combative agreesive.
    I imagined going through the rest of my life having to repeat myself 5 times before being understood and started to cry inside.

Thanks for the welcome Shoepie.

Back to show talk. I thought I recall seeing a clip of the kids in a kitchen restaurant. That looked to be a group challenge, but I could be wrong.
    Next episode will see how it goes. I don't expect to see challenges like catering a wedding.
    Punkin and Shoepie like this.

+ Reply to Thread