+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: MasterChef Junior

Re: MasterChef Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Sophia'a frosting was a disaster, Alex's was not great but not as bad as hers by quite a margin.

I think this is moving fast because children just don't have the stamina to be on the show as long as adults.
    It's not because the kids don't have the stamina I think it is more due to the hours kids are allowed to work in the film industry. I am glad that it is going this fast though kinda fun to see a reality tv show be this quick. This is a 7 episode season, say they took 3 days to shoot each episode that's 21 days probably much less and pow the kids are back home. I would think some of the parents are also hanging around.
    Shoepie and spockwhat like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    It's not because the kids don't have the stamina I think it is more due to the hours kids are allowed to work in the film industry. I am glad that it is going this fast though kinda fun to see a reality tv show be this quick. This is a 7 episode season, say they took 3 days to shoot each episode that's 21 days probably much less and pow the kids are back home. I would think some of the parents are also hanging around.
    Good call.

I actually prefer competition shows that eliminate or keep people based on their overall competency and not just how they did in one challenge, so I'm glad Alexander is still in the running. The ones who have gone home would have eventually been eliminated anyway as they aren't yet as accomplished as some of the others and maybe they will be back for future seasons.

These kids are still way ahead of me with their skills though, lol.
    Punkin, Ellen and Photobabe like this.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I actually prefer competition shows that eliminate or keep people based on their overall competency and not just how they did in one challenge, so I'm glad Alexander is still in the running. The ones who have gone home would have eventually been eliminated anyway as they aren't yet as accomplished as some of the others and maybe they will be back for future seasons.

These kids are still way ahead of me with their skills though, lol.
    I so agree with you, I think the judges take this into consideration.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Interesting enough what makes these kids good cooks at their young ages (drive, focus, independence) causes a lot of problems working as a team. No communication and in the case of the Blue Team Troy running roughshod over Sarah and not being a team player. To be honest I think if Troy had tried to be the leader and communicate with all the team instead of dominating it they would have won. So do I think Troy is a main reason the Blue Team lost? Yes. But because he is a strong cook in his own right the judges picked him to move on to the finale.

To be honest the best team player on the Red Team was Jack, he was wonderful. It was funny to see how frazzled Alexander became. At this point I want Jack to win the title.
    Brooks likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Cake is my favorite sweet. Could you please ask your aunt if she could adopt me? I will pay. Tell her I love her.
    My aunt says hi and thank you. She could always use a hand in making the cakes, it can get a bit hectic at times.

As for tonight's episode, I was rather mad (and my mother and sister downright furious) that Troy was saved and allowed to go to the semi-finals when he pretty much cost his team the challenge by being a control freak, especially since he didn't even want to be in the same team with Gavin and Sarah in the first place. It genuinely felt like the judges, playing favoritism once again, were rewarding bad behavior. At this point I hope for a Jack vs Dara final two, but I'd be okay with Alexander anyway, so long as Troy doesn't win. after tonight, he's the black sheep of the competition in my house.
    Florimel, shyra and Moontat like this.

And once again they are demonstrating via Troy that not only is being a bully okay, but that you will be rewarded for it. This time, they are teaching that to children in their formative years. I'm done with this show and every other one that Gordon Ramsey runs.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

I felt for all these kids. This challenge was too difficult for this age group. Children have not developed leadership skills yet and certainly do not know how to negotiate being a boss to their peers! Adults struggle with this as we see every season.

I will defend the judges. They saw Troy take charge which is a good even though lacked the skill to do this properly. Our edited version showed Troy tossing her vegetables and then demanding Sarah stay away and not touch his plating. I believe he was forceful because Sarah had already done this and ruined another dish.

In Sarah's defense, she wanted to be part of doing everything and as she felt more and more left out her energy level rose. She became desperate. She is a bouncy girl and I get it that she was annoying them with her jumping in and not doing things correctly. She has trouble focusing, in part due to her age, but it is more about her hard wiring. I see AD/HD at work.

Gavin does not have the skill level of Troy. We saw very little of him the entire service but that has been clear to the judges.

I hope they omit this challenge in future seasons or change it. Kids that are watching this now will be more prepared, knowing what went wrong here.

And kudos to the judges for treating the kids with respect and love.

I do not fault any of the kids for mistakes they made or the judges for their decision. They are clearly looking at their body of work and made the right decision to have an even playing field for the finale.
    sunshine3331 and JohnnyK like this.

I love Jack, even at his young age, he's a team player. Alexander and Dara are great little cooks, but it was easy to see they are use to cooking alone. Troy wasn't as good, but a few times he was helping Sarah out, or trying, much like Dara did when they were paired off .I love the remaining mini chefs, . I am afraid Gavin and Sarah were out of their league, and it was time for them to leave. I love the way the Gordon and Joe talk to the children, I doubt any of them will lose their passion for cooking through this show.

cook on!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I disagree that Troy should have gone to the semi-finals based on everything we've seen, especially on that performance. At 75 minutes of service, with each dish being 4 to 6 minutes to cook, I highly doubt that there was much editing involved. Troy himself expressed that he didn't want to work with either Gavin or Sarah. He ignored Gavin's role as captain (though Gavin himself was underwhelming in that regard) and he steamrolled over Sarah to the point that he didn't want her to do absolutely anything, you could just tell by her face how she got affected by that. By trying to do everything himself and refusing to work as a team, he single-handedly cost his team the challenge.

Taking how the three have performed also counts, and I believe both Gavin and Sarah had what it took to be semi-finalists. Troy was in the top on the two Mystery Boxes and his tag team wellington also came out great, but in that one he also came very close to blowing it due to, again, unwillingness to listen when working as a team by ignoring Alexander, they were only saved by Gordon letting them know the mistake Troy made early enough to solve it, and he also had one of the worst cakes in the baking challenge.

Unlike Troy, Gavin and Sarah were never in the bottom before the restaurant challenge. Gavin's team's wellington was not up to par with the other two but still good, and he also had one of the best burgers and cakes. Sarah's team's wellington surpassed Troy and Alexander's, and she won the Mystery Box challenge she placed on top of. Shame we couldn't see how she fared in cakes, which is why I hate immunities here, we don't get to see all the contestants' skills.

I do agree that this challenge failed in that they gave leadership roles to the kids, when I felt it would've worked better had Gordon and Graham each took charge of one team and let the kids do what they felt comfortable with without taking leadership roles, letting the adult direct them and their own skills do the talking. It's a shame, because this show has been great (it's better than season 4 of the adult version by a landslide), but the double eliminations, the judges' favoritism and the fact that they gave leadership roles to children who are not ready for it really put a damper on things. Still hope it gets a second season and they work out the kinks, though. Shame that judges favoritism will never be worked out, though.

+ Reply to Thread