+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    I didn't care for that either and I hope he doesn't turn it all against Christine. I am okay with Christine making the final over Becky but wouldn't really say Becky crashed and burned from the soggy potatoes, when Christine's side dish wasn't very good either. The flavor of Christine's must have just been super outstanding. I was really surprised at Becky's "mystery" box challenge, that was so below her skills. I have a bit of a problem with making anyone cook something they never had as a final test to get into the finals. And while I don't dislike Josh, I am not a fan of bringing anyone back from an elimination thing like this...many other people got eliminated for something equally forgiveable, including Becky's frog legs (which she actually did well).
    I get a feeling most of these shows are mapped out long before we see them. Christine's didn't look that great, fried chicken and some kale in cream . It likely tasted way better than it looked.Cooking isn't my passion but I do recognise that passion in all three of the ones left-( now 2) I just dont care who wins really
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I was prepared to delete the season pass from my TiVo if Josh and Becky were in the finale. Although I'm pretty sure the eventual winner has been preselected to be Josh, I'm still looking forward to Christine competing next week.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I am happy to see Christine in the finale but I have to wonder if that outcome seems "too perfect". Out of thousands that applied, a blind girl managed to make the show AND the final 2? I have no douobt she can cook and has a great palate, but I think it might be possible the judges overlooked a thing or two because they wanted her to make the final. I mean what a fantastic feel-good story and an almost impossible task. I have nothing against Christine and am blown away by her abilities given her blindness, but it almost seems like it was a forgone conclusion she would make it to the end from the start of the show. That said I am rooting for her because Josh already got the boot and I hate it when booted contestants get to come back. They have time to rest, regroup, think about what they might've done differently and then come back with a renewed energy and perspective that the others don't have. Josh seems like a perfectly great cook, but he was out once so my vote is for Christine.
    I think all the reasons you stated are hurting Christine's chances rather than helping. Then last night, when she told the story about her mom passing away when she was 14 and how she's been trying to recreate her recipes...I'm sympathetic but her backstory is going to overwhelm her cooking ability. Plus, there hasn't been a male winner yet and we all know that's bound to come into play. It's really bad luck for her.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

I wish they played the older episodes prior to the new show like they do on Project Runway. I think we would be able to track the preselection of Josh more easily if we got to see some of those episodes again.

Didn't he make a dessert when they invited all the dismissed people back for their second chance? I guess it must have been a good dessert, but I am sure now that there were other, more commendable and complex dishes made, yet he was selected as one of the two finalists. The other guy was the person who was pretty much disliked by everybody. Having the remaining contestants select between the two ( wasn't it fruit tarts?) seemed to take the judges out of it, but I wonder if everybody knew who owned which tart by the totally different fruit selected by each guy.

Ahhh conspiracy theory raises its ugly head again

I do not think Josh deserves to be in the finale. I didn't particularly like Becky and she has been slipping, but I thought Josh should never have been back in the first place. Every cooking show/chef/judge I've watched has said that the first thing a professional cook must know is how to make a perfectly cooked egg in any style. I've been hoping for a Christine win since very early on and I am still hoping. Almost every contestant I've seen has talked about how they are doing this for a parent/grandparent who is gone or who has helped them through bad experiences, so Christine mentioning her deceased mother in answer to a question is not off-putting to me in the slightest.

If Josh does win, that's one more reality show I can cross off my watch list. The number I have left can be counted on the fingers of one hand.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Well, I either want Christine to win, or have Gordon Ramsay enter the game and take them both out and win it for himself.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I wish they played the older episodes prior to the new show like they do on Project Runway. I think we would be able to track the preselection of Josh more easily if we got to see some of those episodes again.

Didn't he make a dessert when they invited all the dismissed people back for their second chance? I guess it must have been a good dessert, but I am sure now that there were other, more commendable and complex dishes made, yet he was selected as one of the two finalists. The other guy was the person who was pretty much disliked by everybody. Having the remaining contestants select between the two ( wasn't it fruit tarts?) seemed to take the judges out of it, but I wonder if everybody knew who owned which tart by the totally different fruit selected by each guy.

Ahhh conspiracy theory raises its ugly head again
    I am usually one of the last to board the conspiracy train but I am getting ready to buy my ticket.

The reason, for me, is Christine's fried chicken leg. It looked way too brown and not that moist. Well it is pertty hard to dry out dark meat chicken but that plate did not look good. Even if the kale had been perfect why put it in a seperate dish? Offered by another I think they would have been scolded for poor presentation.

That said, I want her to win. Creating a cookbook is the perfect job for her and without this exposure it would not sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I am usually one of the last to board the conspiracy train but I am getting ready to buy my ticket.

The reason, for me, is Christine's fried chicken leg. It looked way too brown and not that moist. Well it is pertty hard to dry out dark meat chicken but that plate did not look good. Even if the kale had been perfect why put it in a seperate dish? Offered by another I think they would have been scolded for poor presentation.

That said, I want her to win. Creating a cookbook is the perfect job for her and without this exposure it would not sell.
    I didn't think the chicken leg looked good either, but maybe Becky's potatoes were that bad? They did look pretty shiny and limp.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Since we can't taste the food, we don't know what is really good and what is ordinary. We can't second guess the judges on taste, just on what we see.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Since we can't taste the food, we don't know what is really good and what is ordinary. We can't second guess the judges on taste, just on what we see.
    Very true. I have good things that doesn't look great but tastes yummy.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread