+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 207 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Count me as another one who thought the Chinese food challenge was completely unfair, especially this early in the competition. We're talking about average people, not ultra talented chefs, so it's obvious that many of them won't know the first thing about Chinese food. I hated seeing Avis and Sheena go for that, especially because on the previous round they made desserts that I would've loved tasting. And speaking of, anyone else think that this whole thing about everybody cooking but the judges sampling only 3 dishes is a complete idiocy? I thought everyone was gonna get a chance! What's with all the cooking if you won't taste others? What a waste of good food...

The rest of the challenges have been entertaining so far (I love Cat Cora!), and the pressure tests seem perfectly faif and challenging, though I agree that some people last night were idiots going for the hard stuff or the stuff they weren't so sure about first, especially since I myself recognized likea good 15 ingredients there. Tony in particular really dropped the ball with the passion fruit bit. I know not a lot of people get to even see a passion fruit (and it's one of my favorites), but man, how can anyone not recognize star fruit? The shape alone, for Pete's sake...

As for the competitors, it's getting really difficult to keep liking them as the competition chugs along and the claws start to come out and egos start growing. Jake totally lost me last night when he kept going over how the weak burger lost and stuff instead of manning up and realizing the red team had a better strategy for adjusting their orders on however the truckers wanted. And hey, unlike Hell's Kitchen, this time there wasn't equal number of points before the final one to declare which team won!

Sharone seems very skilled, but I dislike him, he seems so full of himself and talks too much, and it seems other competitors agree. Jake lost me last night, but hopefully he mellows back down. Faruq annoyed me due to how over the top he always was, glad he's gone. Slim's annoying, and I cannot wait for that manic jerk David to go away, he's the one who annoys me the most, and the fact that he looks like Rob Schneider's long lost son doesn't help. That's almost half of the people left that I dislike. Figures.

I don't know. I make Chinese food at home. Certainly not anywhere near professional level, but we like those flavors and it can be done. I've made fried rice, sesame chicken, orange chicken, beef in oyster sauce, crab rangoon, and shrimp lo mein. They wouldn't measure up to this show's kind of judging, but I don't aspire to be a professional and my family and guests like the food.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4048705;
    I don't find it boring at all - I love it. In fact, last night I didn't even bother flipping back and forth between it and BB (and once Matt leaves I won't bother watching BB even on Thursdays anymore). I've got Jake for the win, mainly because I like him best of those who seem to know their stuff. I am quite surprised, though, that as a former truckdriver he didn't seem to realize that truckdrivers like crappy food, as long as it's big and has a lot of junk on it. That old saw about eating at the truckstops where all the trucks are parked outside because they know where to get the good food is a load of nonsense. Before anyone thinks I'm being rude to truckdrivers, I'm married to one who, though a fussy vegetarian himself, knows full well the dietary habits of the average driver. I really like Mike, as well, but he fell quite short last week. And I like the little southern gal (can't recall her name), but I don't think she has the sophistication to win this thing.

Sharonne knows his stuff, but I hate him.

I agree with you about Jake. I like Jake but, he has real stubborn streak. Once he gets something in his head he doesn't want to let it go. I noticed that in the army challenge with the pork. He has a strong personality aand sometimes doesn't want to listen. He needs a bit of humulity there even when dealing with other amateur cooks. The key to the challenge was you have to get the most truck drivers liking your product. So, it wasn't only about th ebest burger it was about knowing your customer and what they like. Sharone knew truckdrivers love the grease and did those buns in bacon fat. Even with real restaurant you have to balance your own view of great food with what will sell in the area your restaurant is in. Many great chef's with absolutely fabulous food have restaurants that fail because they ar enot selling the type of ffod tha appeals to where their restaurant is located. Gordon even had one that failed early on because of it. It's all chefs have to learn at some point. I was sad to see Faruq go. Loved seeing my girl Cat Cora!

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2;4048597;
    Really? Why? I don't think he's ever been shown as such. Even his audition barely scraped him through (probably more on the family) This was his second week in the bottom - both times for poorly cooked and poorly constructed dishes. I would have been mad had anyone else been eliminated over him.
    Truthfully, my attention has been divided over the past couple of weeks as this show has played against Big Brother. But I seem to remember he had a few good weeks before that. I was sad to see the Texas homemaker go, too.
    I don't know man I don't know man I don't know man I don't know I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;4048732;

And hey, unlike Hell's Kitchen, this time there wasn't equal number of points before the final one to declare which team won!
    Thank you! That drives me crazy and I have posted about it before. It just screams fake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;4048732;
    Slim's annoying, and I cannot wait for that manic jerk David to go away, he's the one who annoys me the most, and the fact that he looks like Rob Schneider's long lost son doesn't help. .
    Thank you again...it's been bugging me who he reminded me of! I also dislike Slim- not sure why that is either. On the other hand, I love Whitney and I think the judges do too. I think she will end up close to the finals for sure.

I like David, but find Whitney really irritating. It's annoying when every five seconds we're reminded that, "I've never done this before." and "This is new to me."

Can anyone tell me why during the stress challenge where they had to name the ingredients on the table....all the other contestants that had not participated in the challenge yet were standing overhead on that balcony, clapping when someone got something right? They could hear everything and see everything...how hard would it be to name the ingredients when it's their turn if they have been watching the others participate and listening to their answers? That was totally weird...they should have been in another room where they couldn't see what was happening. That's what they did with the "guess what's in the chili" challenge...they didn't come out until it was their turn and if they passed, then they went up on the balcony to watch the next contestant.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4050450;
    Can anyone tell me why during the stress challenge where they had to name the ingredients on the table....all the other contestants that had not participated in the challenge yet were standing overhead on that balcony, clapping when someone got something right?
    The ones up on the balcony were from the winning team and were not participating in the challenge, it was only after they had been deemed safe were they allowed to go up to the balcony.

What I don't get about these challenges is why they don't rattle off the obvious stuff. Like the nectarine, okra, squash. Or in the chili one meat, beans, tomatoes should have been the first things they said. The pressure challenges are not the time to prove how great your are by attempting to name the hard stuff, it's the time to get through safely so start with the easy and work your way up....silly fools lol.

Right now I like Tracy, Whitney, and Sharone. I'm not seeing the arrogance in him that others are talking about....I see that in David (whom I despise) and in Jake (who I'm growing to dislike more and more with each viewing and that thing on his chin is so unappetizing, I keep thinking about hairs from it falling into the food...gross).

I dislike Slim (the giggles on her face when Whitney got a bad review was in such poor taste, her jealousy could not be more obvious), David, Jake.

Mike, Sheetal, and Lee are pretty much non-entities, aren't they? They get such little screen time that I forget about them. Especially Lee. They would show him and I'd think "Who is that? When did he get on the show?"
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4050474;
    The ones up on the balcony were from the winning team and were not participating in the challenge, it was only after they had been deemed safe were they allowed to go up to the balcony.
    Thanks for the clarification Harmony...that makes alot more sense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4050474;
    What I don't get about these challenges is why they don't rattle off the obvious stuff. Like the nectarine, okra, squash. Or in the chili one meat, beans, tomatoes should have been the first things they said. The pressure challenges are not the time to prove how great your are by attempting to name the hard stuff, it's the time to get through safely so start with the easy and work your way up....silly fools lol.
    I was wondering the very same thing myself...guess their pride of how smart they think they are gets in their own way and eventually trips them up. You see this quite often in these shows...the ones who talk about how great they are and how they can "out-do" anyone else on whatever show they are on, are usually the ones that bomb out. Doesn't matter what show it is...it inevitably happens.

+ Reply to Thread