+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 207 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Few points about tonight:

1. Ryan got owned royally - the person he thought was going to excel with his selection, but bombed so miserably (and yeah, I agree with the judges: $60 lobster and you make a sauce with it?) That said, the face he gave when he conceded that Christina did excellent - I wish she could've seen it, because he was knocked down a few pegs. Ramsey was so right on to put him in his place there.

2. Christina's dishes - both of them - looked delicious. I admit I haven't had sweetbreads (not sure I want to either - I know what they are), but if you can make them look that good, I'd be willing to try. The other dish was also beautiful: admittedly she can't see, but if she at least at a time did see colors, she could probably remember them and picture them in her head.

3. Monti - even if she's irritating, also created a delicious looking dish. I've never had a Scottish egg, but again I'd try it looking at that one.

4. I liked the idea of the challenges tonight: Unusual foods and something as deceptive as canned versus fresh were nice challenges that made them have to think through things and learn which one was which.

5. I'm also liking how the judges are not tolerating baloney going on - nor being easy on Christina. That is nice.

and

6. I can see why Ramsay made the question about Christina's sight (and she took it well) because he meant it as a compliment because of how well she plated the dish. I think that is also a confidence booster for her too to show that the sight issue is not a factor.

Ryan is getting more and more insufferably. Hope he goes home soon, but really, I'd rather he die on air. Preferably horribly. In fire. Same with Tali. Not to mention, both guys are now toxic, so in all likelihood, they're going to poison whatever teams they're on. Tali really should have gone home.

Christine is really fun to watch. Felix too. Hope those two go really far. "Can I beat it with my cane?", and "The only thing Chinese people don't eat with legs is chairs." were probably the two lines of the night for me. I like how neither seem to have any malice (at least right now), and seem more focused on the cooking than the drama.
    Florimel and wannasee like this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

FORT Fanatic

To me, from what they showed of Tali and Helene's dish, Tali should have gone home [a dish of just crab claws?]. Then I remembered...this is a reality tv show, they want drama...so of course they are keeping Tali around. I also think they chose Ryan's dish at the beginning, cuz they knew he'd be devilish [and thus better tv drama] in deciding who got fresh vs can, whereas, I suspect Christine and Felix would have been more classy.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fan

I don't know if Ryan is as bad in real life as he's coming across on the show, but the edit sure is making him look bad...last night especially. To giving Christine the live crab, her finger getting pierced, camera cut to Ryan's face smiling in glee; to his smiling grin after showing individual contestants having troubles. It was really something. All to pump up the drama I suppose.

I agree. Ryan is douchey but all those well-placed leers and smirks were editing work. I didn't see why giving Christine the live crab would be mean or vindictive - she had to known there was a chance she would have to cope with a live crab or lobster at some point. So it pierced her. I've burned and cut myself countless times while cooking and I have my sight, so I assume Christine must experience small injuries in the kitchen as well. Her capabilities and the fact she doesn't play victim are admirable and I think Ryan clearly got that. I don't like him - he's creepy - but in his place I would have done the same thing. Christine is definitely strong competition.

I'm having trouble picking a clear favorite this season. I'm leaning towards Felix and maybe Christine. And I kind of like Frank. He didn't come off well in the audition round but I like that he's not playing some stereotypical Jersey Shore Italian. He's quiet-spoken and chooses to display his pride in his culture with his cooking.
    Shoepie likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101 View Post
    To me, from what they showed of Tali and Helene's dish, Tali should have gone home [a dish of just crab claws?]. Then I remembered...this is a reality tv show, they want drama...so of course they are keeping Tali around. I also think they chose Ryan's dish at the beginning, cuz they knew he'd be devilish [and thus better tv drama] in deciding who got fresh vs can, whereas, I suspect Christine and Felix would have been more classy.
    that is pretty much how I saw it last night.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Ryan is a d-bag. Wherever Monti places, I hope she comes in ahead of him.

ETA: Ha ha (said Nelson-style). Christine gave him the metaphorical bird.

ETAYA: Ha ha again. Monti gives him the metaphorical bird as well.
    Two of my favorite parts of the show.
    AZChristian likes this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I don't know if I should duck from incoming after I say this, but I think Monti way over-reacted to Ryan's joke about flashing the soldiers. He was obviously kidding around and she freaked out. I just can't stand people who are always looking for something to be offended about and freak out if anyone dares to make a joke they don't like. But, they are working hard to portray Ryan as a villian. You can't tell me that he was really smirking when Christine cut her hand on the crab, or most of the other times they cut to him smirking. Every time anything bad happened, they happened to cut to a shot where he was smiling. Give me a break!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I don't know if I should duck from incoming after I say this, but I think Monti way over-reacted to Ryan's joke about flashing the soldiers. He was obviously kidding around and she freaked out. I just can't stand people who are always looking for something to be offended about and freak out if anyone dares to make a joke they don't like. But, they are working hard to portray Ryan as a villain. You can't tell me that he was really smirking when Christine cut her hand on the crab, or most of the other times they cut to him smirking. Every time anything bad happened, they happened to cut to a shot where he was smiling. Give me a break!
    Don't duck.I agree! Of course he was joking with Monti. He applauded Christine and he sees her as competition.

I hate that they need a villain for this show, because they don't need one. I would have given the live crab to the people I thought were my strongest competitors Just because Christine is blind, doesn't matter .She would have gotten a live crab from me. She did so well with it, I would have also applauded her.

Who used panko, panko is always in my cupboard .
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Don't duck.I agree! Of course he was joking with Monti. He applauded Christine and he sees her as competition.

I hate that they need a villain for this show, because they don't need one. I would have given the live crab to the people I thought were my strongest competitors Just because Christine is blind, doesn't matter .She would have gotten a live crab from me. She did so well with it, I would have also applauded her.

Who used panko, panko is always in my cupboard .
    Christine breaded her sweetbreads in panko.

For those who have never tried them they are delicious! Think of them as the best chicken nugget you will ever have. They are rare to find on a menu but when I do it is thrilling. Without exception, those who take a bite of my order all agree that they are fabulous.

+ Reply to Thread