+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 207 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

The following may be considered mean and unkind but it's how I feel.
    I'm so very tired of all the sad sap victim stories we see/hear on these reality shows...like the stuttering singing military guy on America's Got Talent.
    Monti Carlo (!!!) has it down pat for sure. I don't mind her '40's way of looking, a little out of the norm but whatever floats your boat....but how does she support herself and son w/o working? She's not the "victim" she claims to be. Almost every single mother in the world would do whatever she can to give her child a better life. That doesn't make her special....so what if she's a single mother....that was because of her choices, whatever they were.

Same goes for the guy from the ghetto in Chicago....why do they need to go on and on about their past problems??

Who doesn't have problems to overcome? If you haven't had problems or had bad luck yet, just hold on....because you will....that's life.

I'm just so sick of this Victim-hood we see so much of.
    Just cook, sing, dance....whatever you do...we'll be able to see if there is talent or not, without your sad story.
    All this is why I liked the blind girl so much. She has a situation that must make her life very difficult but I like how she's never said, "handicapped" or " challenged." She said she's had to deal with her "disadvantage." Very commendable rather than poor me.
    (Grumpy mean old lady has left the building now)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I'm so very tired of all the sad sap victim stories we see/hear on these reality shows...like the stuttering singing military guy on America's Got Talent.
    Monti Carlo (!!!) has it down pat for sure. I don't mind her '40's way of looking, a little out of the norm but whatever floats your boat....but how does she support herself and son w/o working? She's not the "victim" she claims to be. Almost every single mother in the world would do whatever she can to give her child a better life. That doesn't make her special....so what if she's a single mother....that was because of her choices, whatever they were.

Same goes for the guy from the ghetto in Chicago....why do they need to go on and on about their past problems??

Who doesn't have problems to overcome? If you haven't had problems or had bad luck yet, just hold on....because you will....that's life.

Just cook, sing, dance....whatever you do...we'll be able to see if there is talent or not, without your sad story.
    All this is why I liked the blind girl so much. She has a situation that must make her life very difficult but I like how she's never said, "handicapped" or " challenged." She said she's had to deal with her "disadvantage." Very commendable rather than poor me.
    Grumpy younger lady here and I feel the same way. I try to not watch any of this audition stuff for these shows or the very few game shows I watch. I get sick of hearing the poor me's. We all have stories. That's what life is. And I get a little annoyed because I feel like they're cashing in on their victimhood as well. Whereas, how many of us just work hard and do what we need to to move forward in life. I have a horrendous story that had zero bearing with either of my college degrees. It did not get me any of my jobs. I feel like they're trying to take the easy way out and cash on on real or made up victim stories.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    Ah ha--I knew there had to be more to this Monti person. Googled her, and apparently she's a DJ and stand-up comic who has toured with, among others, Gilbert Gottfried and Bob Saget. "Monti" is a nickname, so her parents are off the hook.

How bizarre that they just list her as "stay at home mom"--?
    Thank you for this! And I bet her son is not really named Danger, either. That is probably part of her act.

FORT Fogey

I could not agree with you more! Whatever your past, it is over. It is time to say that was then, but this is now and I can make a happy life for myself. And please stop saying you want to win for your dead mother. They have moved on to other things, so you do the same.

Unfortunately, we may have ourselves to blame for this sob story onslaught! I'm sure the minute TPTB noticed the audience show emotions for the sad story contestant, they went out their way to find more!
    After all its blatant manipulation aimed at its audience, and even when the viewers feel genuine sympathy, they dont like it when its contrived, so a lot of these contestants are going to feel the backlash.

I just tune in for the food/cooking. I don't care about the stories or if they have been cast Its all about the food!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

....so what if she's a single mother....that was because of her choices, whatever they were.
    This is fairly common sentiment that I take exception to, and not because I'm offended as a single mother - I am neither single, nor a mother. Reasons someone can be a single mother that weren't her choice: widowhood, runaway dad, imprisoned dad, abusive dad, rape. I suppose the harshly judgmental could make a point that the poor quality dad would have been the woman's choice, but sometimes people can surprise you by just how lousy they actually are.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Reasons someone can be a single mother that weren't her choice: widowhood, runaway dad, imprisoned dad, abusive dad, rape.
    I agree with you re widowhood and rape, but the others are poor choice of partner.

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101 View Post
    I agree with you re widowhood and rape, but the others are poor choice of partner.
    As I mentioned, sometimes people surprise you. I don't think that most people would voluntarily enter into a relationship with someone who was apparently unstable, abusive or criminal right from the start. Google murderous preachers - you might be surprised how many "men of the cloth" are out there killing people. Silly women, marrying preachers who end up leaving them as single mothers.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Helene is my kind of woman!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread