+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 207 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100150 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

FORT Fogey

Re: MasterChef

You are right and Ramsey is less obnoxious. This is the only Ramsey show I will watch
    Florimel likes this.

I also watch "Kitchen Nightmares" when I have the chance. Ramsey does some yelling, but it's all about making a restaurant succeed rather than seeing the majority of your contestants fail.

I loved HK the first season, but I can't watch it anymore. Fox must deliberately pick obnoxious, self-centered contestants for that show. I'm not going to waste my time on their antics. Between their and Ramsey's language, the whole show is one long bleep.

I missed the first 20 min of MC. Does anyone know why Monti was so emotional and kept saying this was her last chance? (She was the white, thin, dark-haired woman with glasses.) Her tagline said she was a homemaker from California; no other info.
    jadewarlock likes this.

I have to say that I wasn't a fan of the 3 group elimination method. I think that everyone's food should have been tasted or they found a different way to reduce the size of the group cooking. Despite the overall professional pedigree of the judges, it smacks of ego to say that someone doesn't have "it" just by watching how they are preparing the food. And conversely, those that made it straight through could have more prowess in plating but not have any knack for seasoning (for example) but because they look good on the surface, they get an automatic pass.

lizardcat - I too missed the first half hour but I think I recall something about Monti being a single mom and needing to win so she can provide a better life for her son
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

They announced that they would be circulating among the contestants and tasting their foods as they cooked, and even showed them tasting some of the dishes. It would appear that there were some who were pretty definitely in, and some who were pretty definitely out based on that preliminary tasting/plating. IMO, those in the third group needed to provide a little extra proof that they were worthy of continuing. Some did, some didn't.
    jadewarlock likes this.

It looks like the blind contestant is getting an assistant for navigating, which is good, because I'd hate to see her get sent home just because she can't see. Hope she doesn't win on just her story, though; if she wins, I want it to be because she was the best contestant.

I'm fine with the three groups elimination method; remember the judges have been walking around, observing and tasting, so the ones who are getting sent home should be, if they've been honest, those who really can't hang, whereas those who go forward are those who at least have the technical skills to succeed, and since the judges have at least been tasting, they have at least an idea of whether they could succeed. It's not the first time they've sent somebody ahead on just one aspect of their dish, so, it's still in keeping with how they've done things.
    Revenge is ice cream.

For the group that was eliminated all at once--what a waste of their time and the food they used! How quickly the judges turned on them. Earlier, they were given an apron and told you have what it takes to be on the show, so how bad could their food be in this ground beef challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    It looks like the blind contestant is getting an assistant for navigating, which is good, because I'd hate to see her get sent home just because she can't see. Hope she doesn't win on just her story, though; if she wins, I want it to be because she was the best contestant.
    She made it clear that her assistant can ONLY guide her to items on the table and bring items she asks for. The chef ONLY can chop/cook and taste her foods. This is IMHO very fair and what the others are doing - the only exception is that she has to have someone bring her the items and lead her to the table.

She seems astute too on what she can do to improve her dishes, and I think the combo of the two she'll go far. I do NOT think she will be a finalist nor be able to help the final two, but I respect her for doing this. Her food also looked very good.

I'm fine with the three groups elimination method; remember the judges have been walking around, observing and tasting, so the ones who are getting sent home should be, if they've been honest, those who really can't hang, whereas those who go forward are those who at least have the technical skills to succeed, and since the judges have at least been tasting, they have at least an idea of whether they could succeed. It's not the first time they've sent somebody ahead on just one aspect of their dish, so, it's still in keeping with how they've done things.
    I agreed with it too - because they probably were tasting through the challenge and toward the end. In fact, I'd rather be eliminated this way instead of individually humiliated or something (similar to Joe flat out threatening to throw out someone who was so arrogant that he tasted his food after the three were skeptical of the dish).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    She made it clear that her assistant can ONLY guide her to items on the table and bring items she asks for. The chef ONLY can chop/cook and taste her foods. This is IMHO very fair and what the others are doing - the only exception is that she has to have someone bring her the items and lead her to the table.
    I'm not sure why you're directing this at me, because I know this. I was just making a note, as previously, another poster (and myself) mentioned that she probably wouldn't be able to get far because of her blindness, but with an assistant serving as a vision-replacement service, she could go further.

Yes, she'll probably not win, but I think part of the competition is about storylines, so if she does advance, I want it to be because she's really good, and not because of a story. That said, she'll probably get eliminated during a group challenge where she can't really work in a professional kitchen due to her blindness, but hey, I've been proven wrong once before.
    Revenge is ice cream.

FORT Fanatic

monti is all emotional cuz she knows that will get her face time on tv. she also says something like [as everyone else does] "this is her last chance" to make her sons life better. NOT her life better [and thus also her sons], but his life better.

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    I'm not sure why you're directing this at me, because I know this. I was just making a note, as previously, another poster (and myself) mentioned that she probably wouldn't be able to get far because of her blindness, but with an assistant serving as a vision-replacement service, she could go further.

Yes, she'll probably not win, but I think part of the competition is about storylines, so if she does advance, I want it to be because she's really good, and not because of a story. That said, she'll probably get eliminated during a group challenge where she can't really work in a professional kitchen due to her blindness, but hey, I've been proven wrong once before.
    I have mild dyslexia, so I apologize.

And yes, I do hope she goes far and am glad for the visual assistant so if/when she is eliminated it is because of what she has done, no other chef sabotaging her. While I don't think there is someone like this in this batch, I just remember Mr. Narcissist from last year who thought he was so hot stuff and he couldn't have "possibly" cooked something wrong he ate off his plate while judging and joe called him out on it.

+ Reply to Thread