+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 207 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898148 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 2070
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

  1. #471
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,834

    Re: MasterChef

    Quote Originally Posted by Jezebella View Post
    After watching the first episodes of HK and then Masterchef, it looks like I will be skipping HK this year and just watching Masterchef. Not as much drama, better cooking (for the most part) and Ramsay is much more mellow.
    I also prefer him on MC then HK.... HK is so predictable.... Gordon yells that things are raw or burnt (even I can cook a risotto!) and throws plates on the floor or chefs out of the kitchen.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  2. #472
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    22,675

    Re: MasterChef

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I also prefer him on MC then HK.... HK is so predictable.... Gordon yells that things are raw or burnt (even I can cook a risotto!) and throws plates on the floor or chefs out of the kitchen.
    I so sick of that frigging risotto LOL
    Shoepie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  3. #473
    FORT Fanatic wannasee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    436

    Re: MasterChef

    Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    I can't believe they didn't keep Luca yet they let through that a-hole dude who made the ravioli he didn't even taste. WTH?
    ITA I couldn't believe it, especially when Joe is "the" Italian guy! Loved Luca, and believe you me, I will be watching to see if he is back next season. Him and the young girl from the first night, with the carrot cake. Must admit, if I'm going to watch Hell's Kitchen, I HAVE to have this after to calm me down. I'm kinda with those above who said no more HK...used to be, I just whined about Ramsey being such a butt, but now, they have to have a bunch of contestants who think they're Billy BaddA$$.

    Kinda get tired of the "hiding the apron" thing...it works about once, for me. And really sad about bringing those small town people almost like they're making fun of them. Overall, though, I like this show!

  4. #474
    FORT Librarian HaikenEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465

    Re: MasterChef

    I've pretty much given up on Hell's Kitchen, making MasterChef the only Ramsey show I'm watching. Some of these cooks are interesting, but I can't help but wonder if any of the cooks who didn't get their own segments will make it past the next round (which was the onion dicing, I think?).
    Florimel and Shoepie like this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

  5. #475
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: MasterChef

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I so sick of that frigging risotto LOL
    And the Wellington and the scallops.....................

    I stopped watching a long time ago but tuned in this season to see if anything had changed. And no, not even the menu! Beef Wellington was big in the 60's and I have not seen it on a menu since or even talked about on any cooking show or chef anywhere. I don't get it. I stopped watching because of the yelling and choice of ridiculous chefs that supposedly win an executive chef position in one of his restaurants. No way, never.

    I like Master Chef, a lot.

    I don't see the blind woman getting very far. A timed challenge of chopping onions, producing unform results, seems impossible to accomplish.

    I wanted to fall face first into that clam pizza! It looked so good.

    I like the way each contestant cooks their food just before they go in front the judges and have 5 minutes for finishing touches. They are eating fresh food. On other cooking competitions it is clear the judges are tasting cold food, Next Food Network Star to name one.

    And of course since this is for entertainment they have to include some weirdos. I expect that. The guy who cooked the venison may surprise us by making it farther than we think.

  6. #476
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: MasterChef

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    And the Wellington and the scallops.....................B eef Wellington was big in the 60's and I have not seen it on a menu since or even talked about on any cooking show or chef anywhere. I don't get it.
    The quality of HK aside, I do get the point of their choices of Beef Wellington, scallops and risotto. They are all three simple, classic dishes that should be mastered by any competent chef. And Beef Wellington, even if it is no longer popular, does incorporate a big hunk of meat and pastry, and again, competent chef should be able to master cooking the two components. It's like being an artist - Picasso is known for cubism, but you should see the paintings he has done in a more classic style. They're fantastic. The man could paint. And every chef should start with the classics.
    march and Florimel like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  7. #477
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,834

    Re: MasterChef

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    The quality of HK aside, I do get the point of their choices of Beef Wellington, scallops and risotto. They are all three simple, classic dishes that should be mastered by any competent chef. And Beef Wellington, even if it is no longer popular, does incorporate a big hunk of meat and pastry, and again, competent chef should be able to master cooking the two components. It's like being an artist - Picasso is known for cubism, but you should see the paintings he has done in a more classic style. They're fantastic. The man could paint. And every chef should start with the classics.
    But why oh why can none of these chefs cook any of them??
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  8. #478
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: MasterChef

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    The quality of HK aside, I do get the point of their choices of Beef Wellington, scallops and risotto. They are all three simple, classic dishes that should be mastered by any competent chef. And Beef Wellington, even if it is no longer popular, does incorporate a big hunk of meat and pastry, and again, competent chef should be able to master cooking the two components. It's like being an artist - Picasso is known for cubism, but you should see the paintings he has done in a more classic style. They're fantastic. The man could paint. And every chef should start with the classics.
    Yes on Picasso. But that analogy aside, I don't see these dishes as particulary classic. Anyone applying for this show should know to practice these dishes, certainly. I have no clue why they cannot cook scallops; I do frequently. It is a very quick and delicious meal that only takes minutes.

    Risotto takes about 30 minutes to cook and you cannot leave it. It has to be stirred constantly. There are obviously tricks to pre cook to a certain point in the restaurant business but not sure how that is done.

  9. #479
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: MasterChef

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Yes on Picasso. But that analogy aside, I don't see these dishes as particulary classic. Anyone applying for this show should know to practice these dishes, certainly. I have no clue why they cannot cook scallops; I do frequently. It is a very quick and delicious meal that only takes minutes.

    Risotto takes about 30 minutes to cook and you cannot leave it. It has to be stirred constantly. There are obviously tricks to pre cook to a certain point in the restaurant business but not sure how that is done.
    They are classic, and as I said, simple. If a chef can't master something classic and simple, then they are not competent.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  10. #480
    Hey you! MiaT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    1,493

    Re: MasterChef

    Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    ITA I couldn't believe it, especially when Joe is "the" Italian guy!
    And how cool was it to hear Joe and Luca speaking Italian back and forth? I enjoyed that part quite a bit. Luca's charismatic presence and ebullience clearly won over Joe.

    I'm done with HK - it's too boring and predictable. I hate hearing the self-aggrandizing contestant's grovel for their positions at the end.

    I had Beef Wellington exactly 1 time in my life - on a Carnival Cruise circa mid-90s. It was delicious! The meat was so tender I could cut it with a butter knife.

    I hope they do the onion challenge - that's one of my favorite parts.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.