+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 207 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393143 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Ramsey should hire Jennifer to teach the people on HK how to sear a scallop!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Wow I couldn't believe Jennifer won. I didn't even think she would last let alone win. I thought she should have been gone before Max after making mistakes 3 in a row....pouring truffle oil on her dish, putting nutmeg in ravioli pasta, and another one I can't remember. Plus she has been bottom 3 a few times too. I think Christian was setup when he had to go against Suzie, the pastry gal, on a dessert challenge. This was deja vu all over again. Remember last year when Sharone and the pastry princess/cupcake queen, Whitney were given a dessert challenge for the pressure cooker test? It looked quite suspicious to me.
    The third probably was the undercooked/near raw lamb.

But, to be fair, those mistakes were major, but the ones who were eliminated had worse mistakes. And for each of those mistakes she had a stellar dish that wiped it out.

The dessert I personally felt was unfair to both Christian and Suzy. Merangue is such difficult thing to deal with - it can burn easy, it may not whip properly (I personally think on both they had the wrong temp eggs to ensure a proper whipping) and as someone mentioned to me letting the pies sit and cool (as you don't serve hot merangue) of course there was going to be some wilt in the filling.

And honestly, I felt to unfair to both Suzie and Christian in regard to the pie challenge. That particular pie ALWAYS has something off on it even cooking for fun - this case the filling always "wilts" a bit unless chilled after cooling down in a fridge for a few hours.

Only this time, Suzie blew it more than Christian. Then in the final 3 it seems Christian was setup again. Of course, Adrien will choose the octopus because Christian, the seafood king, would nail that one. So why would they have mushroom as one of the main ingredients to choose? Because Jennifer is the mushroom queen. Sure enough, Christian selected the veal thinking that Jennifer wouldn't know how to cook mushrooms.
    I was surprised that Christian choose veal over mushrooms - you can do more with mushrooms to begin with over veal. If he had paid attention to Jennifer's foul-ups he'd remembered the bloody lamb and chose the mushrooms, giving the veal to Jennifer. It was his ego - not a set up - that caused his downfall here.

I was more surprised Adrien choose the octopus because the meat is very difficult to cook without risking it being rubbery.

I thought Adrien was going to win but based on the judging, Joe I think wanted him to win based on the entree alone because it trumped all the other dishes. The appetizer I think they were leaning just little bit toward's Jennifer's because the prawns in Adrien's appetizer were a bit lacking. However, Adrien faltered more in the dessert than Jennifer. So Jennifer won. I think they should do some scoring in the Final 2. Because by the way it sounded, they all really loved and impressed by Adrien's entree dish and probably would have been enough to win the whole thing for him.
    I think they do the best two out of three hence app, entree and dessert. Jennifer IMHO based on comments won the app and the dessert, and Adrien won the entree (deservedly so here).

What helped Jenn was remembering that the judge's moms loved the fruit dish on that challenge and tried to recreate it. I personally think she did a better job (I don't think she was on that team during the challenge).

Do think Adrien though will do well post show too. He was a charmer and had some great ideas.

The ONLY contestant I see not having any shot being on TV or doing a cookbook that is successful is Christian. His attitude was horrible (Suzie was bad but she ended up contrite later on).

BTW, I LOVE the fact that the final two chefs get jackets instead of wearing the aprons. They do deserve that honor... which is more than I can say for the "chefs" in Hell's Kitchen)

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

jadewarlock, I agree with almost everything you said there, especially regarding Jennifer:
    But, to be fair, those mistakes were major, but the ones who were eliminated had worse mistakes. And for each of those mistakes she had a stellar dish that wiped it out.
    And Adriens' performance throughout was very similar to Jennifers.

Just one thing I didn't agree on:
    (Suzie was bad but she ended up contrite later on).
    Say what? She was plain awful until the bitter end.
    NCLurker and AZChristian like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

About Jen's win, the impression I was left with was that she had won because Adrian had cooked his ribs in the pressure cooker, and Jen had cooked her quail(?) in the oven, thus doing the cooking herself and not relying on the pressure cooker to do the cooking, like Adrian did. Jen showed more skill, per the judges. While Adrian's ribs were really good, the cooking just did not require the amount of skill that Jen's bird did!

And I love that Jen won, since Christian simply did not want to be beaten by "a girl"!!!!

Works for me....so nanny-nanny-boo-boo and a big Bronx cheer for him!
    pikachu and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    RE: Suzie ends up contrite:

Say what? She was plain awful until the bitter end.
    Truly. I was wondering what I had missed because the last words I remember hearing out of her mouth were "it's not fair, she took my spot" about Jennifer being final two. Bitter little shrew.
    Lil Bit likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I have 3 comments.
    * Out of the three who were left, I wanted Adrian to win.
    * I seem to be the only one on here who didn't really mind Christian. He wasn't my favorite, (that would be Ben) but his arrogance didn't disturb me the way it seemed to disturb others.
    * Didn't anyone else notice Jennifer's hair hanging in the food and on her cutting board every time she bent over? That just totally blew my mind. Who doesn't tie their hair back when they are cooking? It really grossed me out.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    * Didn't anyone else notice Jennifer's hair hanging in the food and on her cutting board every time she bent over? That just totally blew my mind. Who doesn't tie their hair back when they are cooking? It really grossed me out.
    I said the same thing to my husband. How could there not be a hair in the food? I kept waiting for them to find one in her dishes.

BTW, I really wanted Adrien to win, I think he could use it, but was not unhappy with the result. I checked out the website of the place he works at, fairly standard food, but looks like they have some upscale dishes. Wonder if he'll get to cook now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I have 3 comments.
    * Out of the three who were left, I wanted Adrian to win.
    Agreed.
    * I seem to be the only one on here who didn't really mind Christian. He wasn't my favorite, (that would be Ben) but his arrogance didn't disturb me the way it seemed to disturb others.
    He didn't bother me nearly as much as Suzie did. His arrogance tended to be of the "I'm great" variety whereas hers tended to be of the "they suck" variety. Not 100% across the board, of course, but a tendency nonetheless.
    I noticed and was wondering why none of the chefs tied their hair back or wore nets or hats or something. I'm not skeeved out by germs or hair too much, but that would seem to be a practical consideration for a lot of other people.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I noticed and was wondering why none of the chefs tied their hair back or wore nets or hats or something. I'm not skeeved out by germs or hair too much, but that would seem to be a practical consideration for a lot of other people.
    Hair doesn't bother me only if it is my own!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I didn't like Jennifer. I thought she was kind of a b*tch. Plus, she had been in the bottom with some MAJOR bad food, so it seems strange that she won. I was hoping it would be Adrian and was disappointed when they let a b*tch who I thought they were only keeping around for the drama of Jennifer vs. Christian win.

I agree about the hair-tying thing. It really grosses me out to see people cooking with their hair all in front of them and long enough to be dragging through the food. The show that is notorious for that is Cupcake Wars. They never have their hair tied back!

+ Reply to Thread