+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 207 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686136 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

FORT Fogey

Re: MasterChef

I thought the show was too much HELL'S KITCHEN which I find vastly annoying so I kept leaving the room until we got to the pressure challenge. I could not figure out why Ben did a commentary for the whole show.

I didn't care for tonight's episode as much as usual- it was too much like Hell's Kitchen for me. These are home chefs and you expect them to execute complicated food from one of the country's finest restaurants and then yell at them when they get it wrong? I think all it proved is that several of them want nothing to do with working in a professional kitchen. I much prefer the challenges where they get to make their own food and the general public gets to decide whose they thought was better. With enough practice anyone can replicate someone else's dish, the key to being a great chef is having the knowledge and creativity to come up with your own recipes that people will enjoy and be impressed with.
    cablejockey likes this.

Part of coming up in the chef ranks is the ability to replicate food. Though I thought relatively few of these folks had the great desire to be a sous chef or chef in general at that level.

I flipped back and forth too. I don't really like Christian and don't like to watch him. Combined with the lack of focus on the food. For a show about cooking challenges they certainly spend as little time as possible actually discussing the food and why it's good or bad. I find that really annoying. I watch to see what these people create and what the judges thing about it. Now all the drama.

I liked the end where the loser was actually a bit of a winner with lessons and a job with one of the judges later on.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I liked the end where the loser was actually a bit of a winner with lessons and a job with one of the judges later on.
    That was awesome!!! I actually teared up a little from the emotion of it all. Gordon has done this before on HK as well. I do like these little glimpses into the judges that show they have some heart and probably actually like these people a little bit.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Last night, Masterchef seemed too much like Hell's Kitchen. He had them divided into red teams and blue teams, just like on HK. I thought having home cooks work in a professional kitchen serving customers was very unfair. There's a world of difference between being able to cook a few familiar dishes on your own time to serving a large volume of people in a professional kitchen! I would probably have done fine in the individual challenges at the Masterchef studio but I would have quit if I was asked to run a restaurant. That looked like absolutely no fun to me.

Sadly, the teams on this show did better than the donkeys working in Hell's Kitchen.
    Holly in SoCal likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I really enjoyed the concept of last nights' show! Yes, Gordon was a bit hard on them in the kitchen, but he was very complimentary afterwards. As for the home chefs, they made it through a tough challenge and succeeded... which will only build their skills and confidence as cooks. I see nothing wrong with it. I didn't like seeing Adrien blamed for the hair on his plate when Gordon sent it out and the waiter also had dark hair...

So sad to see Tracey go. I don't think she was the weakest chef there... she is more consistant than many of the chefs who have had moments of brilliance tempered by horrific mistakes... which is pretty much every other chef there.
    What I am particularly enjoying about this show is that all the chef's left (including Tracey) are all close to the same level and it's hard to pick a clear front runner. This is so unlike HK, where it's rare to have so many great chefs in the top 5 or 6!
    If I had to pick the weakest, (and this is based on past performances plus last nights), I would say they are Christian, Suzy and perhaps Ben. ()
    Suzy is overconfident and tries crazy things with her dishes and it's too risky. Christian blew it in the restaurant challenge (his risotto was not great) and he also tends to be half-hearted sometimes in competitions. Ben is too hit and miss.
    Then again, Jen and Adrien are also hit and miss, , but I think Jen in particular has been pretty consistantly strong of late... and her meat plates were rated high by the owner and head chef in last nights' episode. All it takes is one poor challenge though, and she has shown she is capable of doing that.
    It'll be fun to watch it all play out!

Well that stunk But my other favorite is still there!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

What stunk???? Please don't tell me Ben is gone.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Yeah. Ben. Dumb Ramsey et al. I would buy a cookbook from Ben, I'd watch a cooking show hosted by him, anything. His energy and positive spirit are infectious. Love that guy. Suzy or Christian? I woudn't dream of buying a book from them. Shame the chefs couldn't see marketablity right in front of them.

It stunk bad. Please please please let Suzy or Christian go next.

+ Reply to Thread