+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 207 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585135 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

FORT Fogey

Re: MasterChef

I have thought it before, but I really, really thought Christine was a little tipsy at the start of the program. Even GR asked her if she was ok.
    just1paul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Anyway, yeah, Christian is proving to be a giant douchebag and Jennifer is an idiot for taking his bait.
    Indeed.

I'm in a snit because Derrick and Christine were my two favourites. I hope Joe's comment to Derrick was a hint that he'll give him a job in one of his restaurants. The "Undertaker" proved to be the class act of the season. Kudos to Joe for recognizing it.
    I has a sad. I'm going to miss Derrick. Apart from being a decent guy, I will always have a preference for the slightly insecure over the solidly self-assured. I tend to feel that they have a better grasp of reality and are more inclined to exhibit empathy. Ah well, my other favourite (Tracy) is still in the game. My favourite dude is now Ben, so fingers grossed they are the last two standing. And everything else crossed Christian isn't.
    luvsginger likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I may be the only one, but I really don't like Jennifer. She should have more class and not cuss and trash talk Christian every episode. It seems like she knows everyone doesn't like him, so she thinks she is being "cool" by acting like that. I think she should show a little more class and prove she is better through her cooking.
    cablejockey and march like this.

What amazes me about this show and the Next Food Network Star (although there are now more pros on that show) is how these contestants can whip dishes up with no recipes to refer to. I consider myself a pretty good cook and there is no way I could whip up some of these recipes on the spot without any type of reference. When baking you really need to have precise measurements and I can see if they were just whipping up a basic cake but they add so many ingredients which would mean they have to adjust the basic recipe. You cant just "double" a recipe when baking, it is more complicated than that when increasing and adding other ingredients to the recipe. I wonder if they are allowed to bring recipes with them but they they don't show them using them. I guess I am not as good a cook as I thought I was!!!
    I know Derrick was in a panic when he learned he had to make a souffle, I doubt if he had a recipe stored up in his brain...LOL..

Of course savory dishes are way easier to "whip" up but still.....how do these "home chefs" have all these different dishes which actually look pretty dang good stored up in their brain? I understand many are made on the fly but who has a basic hollandaise sauce, tomato soup recipe, souffle recipe, etc....just ready to use????
    just1paul and Holly in SoCal like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I recall that last season we found out -- I believe it was for the cake challenge --that the contestants were given a basic cake recipe to use as a starting point. Maybe they did that with the souffle too -- or maybe not.

What impresses me most about the contestants is how quickly they decide what they're going to make. I'd need 15+ min to think it through. I could make a tomato soup from scratch. But broth or cream based? What type of tomatoes? Smooth or chunky soup? Spicy or mild? What herbs or spices? Plain tomato or with lobster or corn or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I recall that last season we found out -- I believe it was for the cake challenge --that the contestants were given a basic cake recipe to use as a starting point. Maybe they did that with the souffle too -- or maybe not.

What impresses me most about the contestants is how quickly they decide what they're going to make. I'd need 15+ min to think it through. I could make a tomato soup from scratch. But broth or cream based? What type of tomatoes? Smooth or chunky soup? Spicy or mild? What herbs or spices? Plain tomato or with lobster or corn or something else?
    I didn't watch last season, although I wish I did, that is interesting that they were given a basic recipe for cake. I know that even with baking bread, if you add something so simple like garlic or rosemary, it changes the bread entirely. I once tried to make olive bread thinking I could just add olives to my sourdough bread recipe and boy did I find out that I was wrong!

I am also impressed on how quickly they come up with their decision on what to make. I usta wonder the same thing about Iron Chef but then realized that the chefs have a plan prior to finding out the "secret" ingredient. I make a really killer tomato soup but honestly I would have to refer to my recipe if someone asked me this very moment to make it. If I have been making it in recent weeks, I would have no problem "whipping" it up because it isn't something I make often.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    What amazes me about this show and the Next Food Network Star (although there are now more pros on that show) is how these contestants can whip dishes up with no recipes to refer to. I consider myself a pretty good cook and there is no way I could whip up some of these recipes on the spot without any type of reference. When baking you really need to have precise measurements and I can see if they were just whipping up a basic cake but they add so many ingredients which would mean they have to adjust the basic recipe. You cant just "double" a recipe when baking, it is more complicated than that when increasing and adding other ingredients to the recipe. I wonder if they are allowed to bring recipes with them but they they don't show them using them. I guess I am not as good a cook as I thought I was!!!
    I know Derrick was in a panic when he learned he had to make a souffle, I doubt if he had a recipe stored up in his brain...LOL..

Of course savory dishes are way easier to "whip" up but still.....how do these "home chefs" have all these different dishes which actually look pretty dang good stored up in their brain? I understand many are made on the fly but who has a basic hollandaise sauce, tomato soup recipe, souffle recipe, etc....just ready to use????
    I am a good cook too and I have a lot stored in my brain. I can make soup, hollandaise and most sauces without recipes. That said, I would definately need time to think and I bet they get more time than it appears. For the sake of moving the show along quickly they must edit liberally. I could never think of a dish in several seconds.

They were given a basic souflee recipe, clearly. I was stunned when Gordon went on an on about how difficult they are to make. Not true. They are one if the easiest meals to throw together and not tricky at all! He was playing into the myth for the viewers. No chef is afraid of a souflee!

I agree, you definately have to have a recipe for baking most everything. On Chopped, chefs come with some basic recipes in their head like fritters, cakes and crepes. I think they must do that here too.

I know I would go on this show with many dishes already planned for proteins. When you think about it, most mystery boxes have a varity of ingredients that can be supplemented to adjust to something you know. It is all about the spices, really.

Jennifer is my favorite and i think she will win.
    cablejockey and luvsginger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I may be the only one, but I really don't like Jennifer. She should have more class and not cuss and trash talk Christian every episode. It seems like she knows everyone doesn't like him, so she thinks she is being "cool" by acting like that. I think she should show a little more class and prove she is better through her cooking.
    No you are not alone on this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Must.Not.Shoot.At.TV.When.Chri stian.Opens.His.Mouth.

We spent most of the hour with at least one of us muttering, "He's such as a**." :-) OTOH, even if Red Team lost tonight, he wouldn't have gone home...

I'm just glad that Ben was able to get comfortable with the cooking.
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread